Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2017, 03:51 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Camarillo , California
Ease of use and stability = Equalizer
loft47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 04:25 PM   #22
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
It is true that Hensley and ProPrides are projection hitches. That alone would considerably reduce sway. However, so are 5th wheels, and they will jackknife in a heartbeat if the trailer rear wheels loose traction.
The main advantage to these two hitches is the "geometric trapezoid design." The four pivot points will not allow the trailer to move independent of the tow vehicle. Yet, it will allow the hitch to break for backing and turning.
If any other hitches could do that, then their prices would drop due to competition. That is why both companies can claim the design eliminates the possibility of sway. Controlling it is not an issue.
There really is no argument considering the costs of all our rigs. Like the American Express add says: "You Can't Leave Home Without It."
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 05:37 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wilton Manors , Florida
Thanks. Was just kind of looking for a know before you go kind of thing. Sometimes in life someone has either had a really good or really bad experience with something.
AnchormanQC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:08 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wilton Manors , Florida
Thank you everyone for your insight. This isn't my first RV. We just sold our Class A diesel pusher. I had a fifth wheel before that. This is my first travel trailer and I wanted to buy the best anti sway hitch I can out of the gate and avoid buying twice because I just rolled with what the dealer recommended. No concerns about my tow vehicle or my ability to adapt. Just looking to benefit from the experience of those that already have experience.
AnchormanQC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:20 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
This link points to a very old comparison but it's really great.

http://www.timberman.com/RIG/trailer...omparisons.htm

A few comments, now that I'm a "seasoned pro" (ha ha - take that with a salt lick!).

The author clearly loved his PullRite - which sadly isn't made anymore for modern trucks. I'm not sure why you can still get to this picture from their website, but this "arc" mounts under your truck bed and the arm rolls across the arc keeping the pivot point on your truck's axle. It's pretty much an upside down 5th wheel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1483492003.766246.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	277616

Based on the comments the author of the comparison made re: connecting the Hensley, he apparently never learned the "secret" - I know that pain. I went with the ProPride (also a Hensley design but a little different) because the point of those designs is to virtually project the pivot point near the rear axle of the TV (while the PullRite puts it there physically). The first year with it I had several frustrating connection moments until I learned how to adjust the angle of the head with the WD jacks (won't bore you with those details here). Once you know it, it's easy.

Also, because this comparison is old, it doesn't cover the Andersen - that's had an interesting reaction in these forums before - but best as I can tell - if you have a lighter trailer and a heavier tow vehicle - meaning, you don't need to restore more than a couple hundred pounds to your TV steer axle, it seems like an innovative and effective solution for about $500.

The best advice I can give is to know what you want to accomplish - your own unique set of criteria with "weighted" factors (no pun intended) including importance of sway prevention vs. sway reaction, cost, safety, ease of use, ease of service (the ProPride and Hensley do create potential challenges here), etc. You're the only one who knows what you need based on what you're trying to accomplish. When you know that, and set it up correctly, your decision will be the "best" hitch on the market.

Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:59 PM   #26

2018 33' Classic
McKinney , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Herm26U Send a message via Yahoo to Herm26U
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchormanQC View Post
We're going to order a 30 International Serenity this week. We'll tow it with a 2500 Sierra HD 4x4. Any advice on which hitch I should get. I want to hit the ground running and do it right the first time. It's also important to me that the rig sits level when it's hooked up to the truck.
Hey Anchorman, just received my new 27FB Serenity and installed a Hensley Arrow after pulling my friends 27FB Int'l with an Equalizer. The Hensley is superior in my opinion for anti sway and weight distribution. If your rig sitting level is important, don't get the Equalizer, I couldn't get mine any closer than 3" sag with the Equalizer. Hooking up takes a time or two at first with the Hensley but I'm hitting it easily now. Your buying the best trailer made, get the Hensley and don't worry whether you bought the best hitch down the road.

Good luck with your new AS Serenity!
Herm26U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:36 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Steve, regarding the PullRite and Hensley designs.

I don't think of the Hensley as a virtual projection point as though there is no mechanical connection to the truck's rear axle. It's not directly connected, the load path is indirect but it's mechanically there. If you pushed on the side of the trailer, the trailer will not pivot separate from the tow vehicle, you would have to skid the truck's rear axle tires sideways and the truck and trailer would remain in straight alignment.

This is where the Hensley is superior to the PullRite. If you pushed a PullRite connected trailer on the side, the trailer would move out of alignment with the truck. Same with a fifth wheel.

The advantage of the Hensley design is that in a constant sidewind towing condition, the trailer remains straight behind the truck, there is no angle, there are no yaw oscillations, there is less wind drag moving ahead (people think I'm joking when I say I can reach up to 20 mpg towing with our Ecodiesel).

The advantage of PullRite, Hensley, and fifth over conventional bumper pull hitches is that they all eliminate the "lever" from the trailer ball to the truck's rear axle, and no yaw forces are leveraged to the truck's steering axle.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:48 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Doug - that's interesting - I've never heard that before (that pushing on a trailer connected via PullRite would get it out of line w/TV).
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:35 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1990 34' Limited
2013 27' FB International
Conroe , Texas
I have the Reese 66560 anti-sway weight distribution system on order.
Watching the videos it seems very simple to hookup and disconnect after the initial installation.
Take a look at the Etrailer YouTube videos on this system.
Good Luck
Tbeck11931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:29 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
In terms of PP hitches, this Unofficial Guide thread is an interesting read, albeit somewhat lengthy!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ide-57179.html

Good luck!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:20 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Little Rock , Arkansas
We were in your shoes a year ago. Also former Class A diesel pusher owners. Having grown up on a ranch hauling livestock and all sorts of equipment and then having a college job transferring tractors and trailers for a trucking company, I have lots of towing experience. Still, went carefully through the Forum seeking advice and opinions on the Big Three Questions: 1) which truck; 2) gas or diesel; 3) which hitch system.

In all three areas, we found existing threads and received new information from many, many forum users. That experience cemented our feeling that ASers are really nice people and there will be at least a few true experts on almost any subject you can come up with regarding Airstreams.

Now, for my opinion on the hitch system:
After careful consideration we decided on the ProPride. Wonderful system; rock solid in all conditions; allows you to make sharper turns as needed in backing. Sway is eliminated and weight distribution simply works. Can be a bit involved to get the system set up correctly for your rig; use an experienced installer if possible. Have yet to meet a ProPride owner who did not love the system.

Whatever you select, have safe travels and enjoy this wonderful experience!
2016 F250 KR 6.7 4x4 CC "Tex"
Members, NTAC
Boogieshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:22 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
We have a 2500 ram and 31' classic with a Reese duel cam, i like it. We did have a Hensley, it was ok, let it go with the as we sold..
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:35 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2014 19' International
Port Townsend , Washington
I have a Blue Ox for our 19' AS and it has pulled just great...BUT a minor point that 2012FB mentioned makes me wonder - my access to the TV (F-150) bed is limited because the tailgate can not got all the way down. That would make me think again about those (i.e ProPride etc) that allows better access...and a tighter turning radius.
LBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 06:42 AM   #34
Retired paddler

1993 29' Excella
Brighton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBelle View Post
the tailgate can not got all the way down. That would make me think again about those (i.e ProPride etc) that allows better access...and a tighter turning radius.
The distance from the back of the tailgate to the front of the trailer does allow my tailgate to easily come all the way down and access is very easy. It does allow very tight turns backing up. On the other hand, my Sierra 2500 extended cab is fairly long, has a huge turning radius, and the combo with the 29' Excella makes it a tad over 55' so some campsites are challenging. But the performance makes up for it. In all my travels and challenging campsites I have not yet had to undo the bars to back into any of them.
4mer Paddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 05:56 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Equal-izer allows tailgate down and tight turning. Love mine.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 06:59 PM   #36

Silverdale , Washington
[QUOTE=2012FB;1894657]Attachment 277601

The ProPride also lets you drop the tailgate with plenty of room and increases your back in turn angles and clearances.

Newbie question alert!

We are purchasing a 30' FC Bunk and plan to tow with a Chevy Express 3500 4x4 conversion with a large Aluminess rear bumper and tire carrier on the back.

My questions for this group are:

1). Is there a difference between the ProPride and Hensley hitch systems with regard to the distance between the TV and AS? 2). Can one purchase an adjustable hitch bar (to increase the distance between TV and AS and to improve turning radius) for either/both systems without negatively affecting the physics and capabilities of the hitch?

Thank you very much for your insight.
Haznavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 05:07 PM   #37
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Greenville , South Carolina
Anti sway hitch with 2500hd

My wife and I just purchased a 2018 international Serenity 25FB in May.
I pull it with a 2018 Chevrolet Silverado High Country 2500 HD 4x4. We have an EQualizer WD hitch.
We took a nine week trip across the country and I had no complaints with the hitch or our rig.
Climbing mountains and navigating twisty roads, and encountering rough roads all worked without any issues.
I will say this about WD hitches, if you wonder weather you need one. Try driving without the WD hooked up. You will notice a significant difference.
Carthurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 05:23 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Doylestown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchormanQC View Post
We're going to order a 30 International Serenity this week. We'll tow it with a 2500 Sierra HD 4x4. Any advice on which hitch I should get. I want to hit the ground running and do it right the first time. It's also important to me that the rig sits level when it's hooked up to the truck.
The hitch The AS Dealer recommends !!
77walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 04:55 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Just because a dealer recommended a hitch he sells does not mean it is the right one for your situation. The one our dealer recommended was a Husky, and it had NO sway control. Dangerous at best...do your research first.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 06:20 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Sioux Falls , SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Just because a dealer recommended a hitch he sells does not mean it is the right one for your situation. The one our dealer recommended was a Husky, and it had NO sway control. Dangerous at best...do your research first.

Exactly that !
Better to live one day a lion than a lifetime a sheep. Camp hard, camp often
DBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote