Old 09-12-2008, 07:52 PM   #29
Rivet Master
2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
i have to say that i am philosophically opposed to the constant "overkill" advice always given on this forum. the advice is always "why get a 1/2 ton when you could get a 3/4 ton? why get a 3/4 ton when you could get a 1 ton?" i use to argue this point ad nauseum with my friend Silvertwinkie. those were fun threads and i am surprised he didn't chime in on this thread with his usual "overkill" advice. haha

"It's the journey."

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:24 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member
2007 25' International CCD FB
Gahanna , Ohio
Mike -- I appreciate your concern, but characterizing Lorinda as having "no regard for herself or others" is a bit harsh when you don't know anything about her. She would not be driving that speed with any other vehicles around her, and I see no reason to drive less than the legal speed limit on a well-maintained open road in good weather with no one in sight. She drove all 5200 miles of this trip solo without incident except calling it early once to avoid thunderstorms. She has a commercial license, used to drive a bus full of seniors for the senior center, and hasn't had an accident in over 10 years. And she has an iPhone. [/QUOTE]

Cool pics.. Looks like a fun vacation to me. We used to live in Tacoma and Bellingham and long to go back with our kayaks one of these days.

We stream with a 2500 HD Duramax and the 75mph 1800rpm is sooo smooth. You made a good choice. It's very easy to eat up miles with the Duramax. Driving anything less than the speed limit is dangerous to me. Maybe it comes from a few years of riding motorcycles and driving aggressively but defensively at the same time.

I still need to get a picture of the rig with our yaks on top. There is a Tahoe area paddler on here, but his name escapes me right now. He may shoot you an email as well. We'll have to talk yaks on PM.

Welcome to the forum.

yakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 06:36 AM   #31
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
The speed rating of 65 is at maximum inflation and load. LT tires used to be rated for 75 under the same conditions, but when I was at Firestone last week getting new truck tires, I found the LT tires are now rated for 103mph.
Now, in English for the rookie, that means you should run your truck and trailer across a set of CAT scales sometime, and see how much the trailer weighs. Divide that by the maximum capacity of the tires as shown on the sidewall of them, and you will then know how close you are to maximum load. If it's close, slow down, if not, carry on, with a tentative max speed of 75. Remember, getting there is supposed to be half the fun.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:19 PM   #32
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
Handling dynamics on a truck (handles badly) pulling a trailer (now handles worse) is not the same as a bus, a motorcycle or any car. Though the picture was likely an indication of a bit of exuberance, the fact remains that for an RV -- the worst-handling vehicle on ANY roadway -- prudence is first if safety is foremost. Braking distances, alone from 75 mph are huge. Few people have regualr experience stopping from this kind of speed with similar rigs, and misjudgment is almost to be taken for granted.

Virginia Code: Tables of Speed and Stopping Distances

And, while a brand-new trailer and truck are, hopefully, least-likely to suffer a failure it is still tempting fate. Under 70 is reasonable and prudent. And eats the miles while leaving a FAR larger cone-of-vision (peripheral vision) than above. Search out safety studies and make your own decisions. "Experience" is usually the lack thereof. Somehow I also doubt that the driver made the kind and timing of stops recommended (and proven) to avoid fatigue, the true problem. Highway hypnosis is nothing to sneeze at. Age and physical condition are no deterrent.

That said, I admire the choice of rig, hitch for intended use. I also recommend a complete set of scale weights to better dial in the rig for the best handling and long life. There is no better travel trailer for road-ability if one attends to all the details.

1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote