First post, I'm not sure if this is the right place… Next week we'll take our new 2016 Flying Cloud 30" Airstream out for the first ride! Needless to say, we're super excited and also super frightened as it's the first time for the two of us towing anything really.
This brings me to my question: What's the best option for navigation/GPS units? I've looked at various reviews of Garmin, Rand McNally, etc. and basically all reviews are either "works great" praise or "it put us in the middle of a field" zombie apocalypse rants.
I've tried the CoPilot app on my iPhone app, but honestly it feels like it was designed 10 years ago and is agonizingly slow even on my latest model iPhone 6S Plus.
I would really like to have something reliable that doesn't route me on curvy, bumpy backroads and avoids low clearances. Using Google or Apple maps in these parts of the country (Pennsylvania, New York) often puts you on exactly those backroads. Great with a car (if you have good suspension) but not with a truck and 30" of Airstream behind you.
Here's my requirements:
- I should be able to enter our total dimensions and weight
- Must work well for east coast states, as well as all of North America (we want to go up to Alaska, etc.)
- Must route around low clearances (covered bridges, etc.)
- Must be able to avoid roads that have very tight curves
- Must route around weight restrictions (some bridges around here are either very old or new but not well built…)
- Must avoid tunnels etc. with propane restrictions
- Reliable operation (doesn't freeze, etc.)
- User interface that doesn't make me want to commit genocide on software developers (i.e. responsive & not looking like it was made in the early 90s)
Nice to haves:
- Free map updates & online traffic info a big plus
- A way to plan routes on my laptop (Mac) and upload them to the unit
- POI data for campgrounds, state/national parks, boondocking locations, etc.
- A quick way to find suitable gas stations and restaurants while navigating to a destination
What I don't need:
- I don't need navigation just for our truck when I'm unhitched (Apple/Google Maps do a great job for that)
- Music, Radio, looking at photos, etc. (just navigation please!)
I'm willing to spend $400 or even more if it ticks the boxes.
So, what does everybody use? Do you like it? Do you hate it?
Or do I have unreasonable expectations?