Old 08-30-2014, 11:07 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member
2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
terryV and AWCHIEF: Thanks to both of your for your input.

I was thinking about just trying to tow with the ball only now that I have a more-capable TV. Even with my old minivan, I didn't notice ANY difference when I went from ball to WD/Sway.

I really like the idea of taking a proactive approach to maintenance on my trailer. I think I'll start working on putting together a short PM program that I can perform before and/or after each trip.

Finally, my wife and I have decided to have the factory make the cabinet repair, run through some checks, repair a few other little items, as well as possibly adding some improvements.

We've booked some time in October, and we'll hopefully get this tire, axle, hitch situation resolved.

Thank you to everyone for your help on this. It is nice to feel like you have a little support when things go wrong.

Airrogant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 04:23 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
I would highly recommend looking at an Airsafe hitch. Made a world of difference with mine. Was towing 25 ft classic with Chevy 2500. Very stiff springs on TV which translated to lots of shock on trailer. With Airsafe it road on its own airbag and things stayed put. You have to match the tow vehicle to the trailer either by size smaller tv for smaller trailers or via an intermediary like Airsafe. The 2500 is designed to have 1000lbs on the ball/bed and with out it it is a very stiff ride.

Dave and Felicia
wxbuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:41 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member
2007 27' Safari FB SE
Rancho Murieta , California

Thanks for sharing this link. It has offered many thoughts for the potential remedy of my own problem. I am taking our rig into Bay Area Airstream for the fix. As I said in the previous stream, they are saying the Crappy roads in California can be the cause the problem. I have our hitch properly set up now but prior to this, it was not set up correctly. I could be the reason for the problem!!
My direction to the service manager will be to ADD "L" brackets to the system. (By the way...he told me that AS is now installing a heavier duty bracketing system because this is nothing new)
I'll report back!
Thanks, Everyone!!

Ronman is offline   Reply With Quote