Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2004, 09:15 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

My "CAT" Numbers

I finally was able to take my Airstream and truck to the CAT scale and get a Gross Weight.

I came in at 12,700 pounds. With my GCWR being 14,000 pounds, I am under, but not at a ratio that I am pleased with.

With all that said, I am averaging 8 to 9 miles per gallon when towing at 75 miles per hour and 10.2 miles per gallon when towing at 65 miles per hour.

The truck has plenty of power, but I believe that a truck with a higher GCWR might be able to give me some better gas mileage. Who knows?

Until I get another tow vehicle, I am still very happy with everything and can't wait till my next trip!
joshua32064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 09:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
What are you towing with? I was supposed to pickup our 28' International CCD this Saturday but had to postpone due to work. We have a 2004 Durango 4x4 with the 57 Litre Hemi engine.

Dennis
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 09:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
whoops!

That should have said 5.7 Litre
Old 01-29-2004, 09:27 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

I am towing with a 2003 - GMC 1500HD equipped with Quadrasteer. This is a 3/4 ton pickup with a 6.0 engine and 3.73 rear end. As stated previously, the GCWR for this vehicle is 14,000 pounds.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:39 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Dennis,

I am certainly not an expert on this, but if you haven't finalized your deal on the 28' CCD, I would do some thinking and contemplate a 22' or 25' CCD instead.

This trailer may be a little too much for you to pull. I just took a look at the Dodge web site and the only way you will be able to pull the 28' CCD is if you have the E, G or J package. With those packages, your GCWR is 14,000 pounds.

I don't know what your family situation is like or what you travel with, etc., but unless you are traveling by yourself with a small suitcase like me, you are really going to want a bigger engine and more power.

Of course, I am only giving you my advice and your truck may be suitable, but I can only go from my experience so far.

Josh
Old 01-29-2004, 10:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Josh,

The Durango has the J package.

It appears the combination is similar to yours as far as GCWR, etc. That's why I was curious about your tow vehicle.

Thanks,

Dennis
Old 01-29-2004, 10:17 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Dennis,

If your Durango has the "J" package our GCWR's are the same. As I said previously, I don't know how many people you generally travel with or what you travel with, but you are going to be very borderline with this truck if you plan on bringing a lot of people or stuff.

I am not trying to make this sound bad in any way, I am just trying to offer my input before you make your final decision on Saturday.

I guess my situation is unique, since I am generally traveling alone or with 1 person and the only thing that I have with me is a small suitcase or two.

Josh
Old 01-29-2004, 10:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
No, will be primarily used to tow less than 30 miles to Carlyle Lake area. Me, Terri (my wife) Chester (wire hair fox terrier). 1 or 2 teenage daughters. No large hills, no mountains. Since we are new to RV'ing, we're going to take baby-steps until we figure out what we're doing. Also getting Equal-I-Zer hitch with the trailer.
Minimal clothing, food, etc. Camp site has full hookups so we don't need to haul water and the trailer will largely be empty except for a few lawn chairs and maybe 1 small TV.

Dennis
Old 01-29-2004, 10:55 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Dennis,

You are definitely pushing the limits of the truck. With the short trip that you have to the lake, you should be fine.

The Equal-i-zer is a good hitch. Have you looked into the Reese? I have a Reese and have been extremely pleased with it. What type of brake controller are you going to be getting. From recommendations by other members, I purchased the Tekonsha Prodigy and have been very happy.

I will look forward to hearing how everything turns out.

Josh
Old 01-30-2004, 05:53 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
More power?

Josh,
Since when is 345 hp not enough power?
Check the engine section of the Dodge web site.
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 08:21 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

I am not working off of horsepower. The truck could have 3,000 horsepower. I am reading the Dodge web site and viewing trailering capacities and GCWR. I think those are the numbers that matter most.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:03 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Excella
Brighton , Michigan
The 5.7 Hemi in the Durango will do fine with the 28 CCD. I have a 2003 1500 Quad Cab Hemi and have towed 3000 miles with my 96 30' Excella. The engine has more than enough power to do the job, and as long as he is below the GCWR there will not be any problem.
Jim
apple 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 09:36 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Josh,
Looks like you are at 90% of GCWR. That should work for you, I think if you feel like it's enough power. I will be curious what you think after a few trips.
Did you get the axle weights? I am most curious what mine will be.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 10:18 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Big Dee,

I have taken the Airstream on 4 long trips and 3 short ones so far. I have had absolutely no problems. Everything was as smooth as can be and I have no complaints. As I have stated previously, I believe that the toughest climbs that I have had to make so far were between San Francisco and Las Vegas.

At no time, did the truck start to get hot and at 4,000 plus feet in elevation, the slowest the truck went was 55 miles per hour.

My trips have consisted of the following:

Tucson to Bisbee
Tucson to San Diego
San Diego to Newport Beach
Newport Beach to San Francisco
San Francisco to Las Vegas
Las Vegas to Tucson
Tucson to Lake Havasu

Personally, I think a lot of the manufacturers undervalue the trucks capacities simply because of warranty issues, etc. With that said, I really wouldn't want to be pulling much more weight than what I am.

Josh
Old 01-30-2004, 06:41 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Josh,
I am curious about your axle weights especially the rear truck. Did your CAT ticket show'em? That's the one limit I am wondering about on mine.

Come rally with us.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:43 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Also how loaded were you when you weighed? Tanks full? propane? food?

Come rally with us.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:16 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Re: More power?

Quote:
Originally posted by sander17
Josh,
Since when is 345 hp not enough power?
Check the engine section of the Dodge web site.
I believe the single most common misconception about towing anything is the ability to pull it. Anyone who only looks at this factor is inviting trouble. You can tow some A/S's with a bicycle! Try to stop, dodge a road hazard, control a long down hill slope while over your vehicles rated capacity and then you will realize why all the H.P. &/or torque in the world doesn't mean anything.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 10:37 PM   #18
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Re: Re: More power?

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed & Debbie

I believe the single most common misconception about towing anything is the ability to pull it. Anyone who only looks at this factor is inviting trouble. You can tow some A/S's with a bicycle! Try to stop, dodge a road hazard, control a long down hill slope while over your vehicles rated capacity and then you will realize why all the H.P. &/or torque in the world doesn't mean anything.
Okay, in towing, you need to look at Torque, not just horsepower.
In its' simplest terms,
Torque is how much your truck will pull.
Horsepower is how fast it will pull it.

Torque is acceleration.
Horsepower is top end.
Since no one in their right mind would want to tow their trailer at 137 mph, the important thing is the grunt (torque).

You also need a vehicle with enough mass to keep the towed vehicle under control, that is why pickups and vans with long wheel bases are preferred.
The trailer will tend to make your vehicle pivot on its rear axle, as in a fulcrum. The farther away your front axle is from the rear axle, the more force the trailer would have to exert to cause the front axle to move, either laterally or horizontally.

Terry