Old 04-15-2015, 07:22 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Snoqualmie , Washington
my 1st tow - good and ?

Just took my 2010 25FB Flying cloud on its 1st journey (Seattle area) to the Ocean (Westport area). About 150 miles - nice easy trip. Towed with my 2013 RAM 2500 Diesel. This is our 1st trailer. On the plus side we got 16.3 MPG going, and 15.3 MPG coming back. It did seem like there was some jerking from time to time; and it did not look like it, but i got the impression that there was less weight on the front end. Was not hard to steer, and never felt any lateral sway, but just seemed a little weird at times.

I do have a eaz-lift weight distribution and sway control. I also have tires loaded to correct PSI for towing. I do have the weight distibution set up on the 1st link of the chain - as can not get it close to use more, but the bars are failry parrallel to the trailer hitch (I have seen on your tube videos to use 2nd or 3rd link). Not sure i should even be concerned - truck pulls the trailer easily and if no lateral sway - suppose I should just keep an eye on it and keep her rollin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0105.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	236384  

Old 04-15-2015, 07:54 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Howard , Ohio
Anders79, congrats on the new rig, looks great. Your TV is obviously more than capable of handling the 25.

For the Eaz-lift (and other WD hitches) you can use your AS tongue jack to raise the AS tongue and rear of the TV whilst hitched up. Run it a good way up. This will make getting 2 or 3 links on the WD easy. Once applied lower and fully retract the tongue jack.

For this size truck however, you may not need 2 or 3 links since your rear suspension will be pretty stout, it will hardly know you have 8 or 900 lb tongue weight on the ball. As you noted, 2 or 3 links on the Eaz-lift is normal. I used an Eaz-lift for a while with my 27FB and used 2 links for my set up. Note that the number of links required for a given load on the bars will depend on how much you have the ball angled back on the hitch, more rearward angle will require fewer links to get the same load on the WD bars.

You should also check that your AS is running level. Nose down or up on a dual axle is not good.

Some movement / pulling on the ball from the AS as you tow, particularly on rough roads is to be expected. On a smooth road though there should be little to no movement.

I'll let others more familiar with this TV comment on best way to set it up.

Porsche Cayenne Diesel
Ohiobrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:21 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Check for 'slack' between your hitch shank and receiver. Also, ensure the 'Ez' hitch bolts are beyond freaky tight. if it 'tilts' in and out, that will make a lot of racket.

You did not say if the trailer was running 'light'.. as in no water in the fresh tank or waste in the waste tanks...

Is your trailer running 'nose down, level or nose high?
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:43 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Snoqualmie , Washington
Thanks. Trailer was level and light load. Good input - I forgot to jack up the trailer when putting on the equilizer bars. I was wondering why i could not get on the 2nd link. (wonder if that wil make much difference).
I do also wonder - when installing the equalizer hitch - I did torque the two bolts that attach to the TR receiver to spec - but still probably 1/8" to 1/4" space. See pic. Thus a little lateral free play (although did not feel any lateral sway when traveling). see pic. Is this a potential problem or is this normal (assumed Ok since torqued to spec).
Old 04-16-2015, 10:29 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Howard , Ohio
Anders79, my Eaz-lift also had some free play when the bolts on the receiver side were torqued to spec. This surprised me a bit but did not seem to cause any noticeable issues. The hitch had been assembled by my local AS dealer and I initially assumed he had not tightened things up properly. Turns out it was a bit under torque but applying torque to the spec made little difference, still some free play.

Going back to your original post, can you describe in a bit more detail what you were feeling whilst towing?
Porsche Cayenne Diesel
Old 04-16-2015, 02:52 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Snoqualmie , Washington
Two things i felt. One was when needing to put on a little gas, it was not completly smooth, and felt like a little of the brake was coming on and off until i got up to cruising speed. Wasn't a lot - and my wife didn't feel it. And i can see on the TR that i wasn't applying any voltage to the braking system of the trailer. The second feeling, again just a little slight - the front end just felt a little light (in comparison to when driving with no trailer). I have to admit - also the first time driving with tires inflated to higher Max tow weight PSI
Old 04-16-2015, 03:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Sounds like very good fuel mileage - maybe that is typical of the RAM with Cummins comrade to my GMC diesel.

Although maybe is is also speed related to some extent. What sort of speeds were you running at?

We just returned from a 3500 mile trip and averaged 11.7MPG. I'd say 95% of that mileage was towing on the interstates, but I do generally run around mid 60mph to mid 70's.

I imagine if I had the discipline to keep it down a little we would do better - not likely to happen though, I always start out saying I will drive a little slower on this trip but O always wind up keeping pace with the flow of traffic!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 03:43 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Snoqualmie , Washington
I was very careful - unusal for me - i kept it consistently between 60 and 65. Almost all of it was on highways or freeways.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:09 PM   #9
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
What pics of the hitch??? I am not seeing the pics
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 08:17 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders79 View Post
Two things i felt. One was when needing to put on a little gas, it was not completly smooth, and felt like a little of the brake was coming on and off until i got up to cruising speed. Wasn't a lot - and my wife didn't feel it. And i can see on the TR that i wasn't applying any voltage to the braking system of the trailer. The second feeling, again just a little slight - the front end just felt a little light (in comparison to when driving with no trailer). I have to admit - also the first time driving with tires inflated to higher Max tow weight PSI

I think that first feeling you describe might be "porpoising". I have a different hitch but found that the head of that hitch can sometimes get uneven on the a-frame and that increases that feeling on my rig. Making sure the head sits symmetrically on the a-frame works for me - not sure if yours does (or even can do) the same.

The second feeling you're describing sounds like you're noticing the lift of the front end by putting the trailer on the ball. Sounds like you want to get another link or 2 on those chains to increase the weight distribution.

Good luck!
Old 04-16-2015, 09:45 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Howard , Ohio
Anders79, not sure what the first symptom you describe is if you are sure you are seeing no voltage to the brakes when this is happening. I would have guessed a bit too much brake boost via your controller was the culprit. You could try dialing the controller all the way down (temporarily) and see if that helps - probably not.....

On the hitch set up as SteveSueMac suggests, a light feeling at the front end of your TV should be helped with more WD applied. Attached is a good guide on how to set up a WD hitch. Andy Thompson recommends Eaz-lift hitches so everything should look familiar. Have a go using this method to get things in the right ballpark. Note that this write up is intended for a smaller TV where restoration of 100% of the removed front axle weight is typically desired. Check the manufacturers recommendations for your TV. For larger trucks it is often recommended at less than 100%. Getting a hitch set up how you like can take time. Try it with 2 links, maybe 3, play around with the angle of the ball mount also.

If you feel the need or you still can't seem to get it figured out, you can also get a set of CAT scale weights. A set of 3 will allow you to determine axle weights with and without WD applied and tongue weight so you can really see what 1 link of WD or 2 links does to your rig (do a search on this forum for scale weights or CAT scales and you should find some good examples of how to do this plus a spreadsheet used to calculate this all out). Since you have a HD TV, axle weight ratings and payload probably aren't a concern so the main focus would be driving confidence and feel. Scale weights can help you relate changes in axle weights (and WD changes) to how the rig drives so you can home in on the right set up for you.

Good luck - let us know how you get on.
Porsche Cayenne Diesel
Old 04-17-2015, 11:17 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Snoqualmie , Washington
thanks very helpful. Good article by Andy. We are going for our 2nd trip in a couple of weeks - so will focus on this prior. I have to admit - I was overly surprised at the gas mileage -- I was in no way expecting to get that good of mileage (but then -- not too many long steep hills on that trip)
Old 04-17-2015, 04:51 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Howard , Ohio
Yep your mileage is very good. I get a about 17 towing at 65 to 70 on combined flat and hills so your number is impressive. I have not done a trip on the flat yet to see how that looks.

Camping this weekend for me, got out early from work - beautiful weather at last!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1429307392.808334.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	236507

Porsche Cayenne Diesel