Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2007, 01:48 PM   #1
Full-timer

1971 27' Overlander
Pumpkintown , South Carolina
Motorcycle inside Airstream?

Hey y'all (implied "Wautch thee-us!):

I'll eventually head home from the southern Appalchains to the central Rockies, and will pull my '71 27' Overlander behind my modified '83 Jeep Wagoneer. That's no problem -- made the same trip a few times towing almost twice as much. Thing is, I've grown somewhat attached to a '78 Honda CX500 motersickle, and would like to bring it along.

The bike weighs around 500 pounds, and won't fit into the rear of the Wagoneer without substantial disassembly. I really don't want that extra rear weight anyway. I'd like to work-out a front mount (I could really use a snowplow), but anything capable of hauling something that size & weight would likely end up hanging a thousand pounds off the front, which is probably untenable, would require headlights on stalks, and likely pose cooling issues.

So, I'm wondering if I could pull the handlebars off the bike (to get through the door) and winch it up into the galley area of the Airstream? The floor is bare plywood right now, so attaching tie-downs is no particular problem. Experience shows that the trailer pulls pretty well with 3 or 4 hundred pounds of water in that general area (albiet quite a bit lower), so perhaps the added bike plus a dry water tank might actually work -- sorta.

Thoughts?

It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.
Foureagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 02:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
It required substantial dis-assembly, but I once had a Suzuki T500 two-stroke twin in a 1970 Beetle.

Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 02:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
If I were going to do that I'd drain the bike of fuel and oil so it could lay down once inside and then strap it down solidly. If this were me, I'd try to get it over the axles so if that means keeping it standing up, and it can be adequatly secured there, then that would be my preference.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 02:25 PM   #4
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
a pick up truck would solve your problems.

john
Old 08-04-2007, 03:04 PM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Your Airstream....Your Motorcycle and it is within your weight limits...

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 07:27 PM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I dunno, doesn't sound like a good idea to me, but then again, it's your call.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 09:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
I know it is not the coolest of ideas and it certainly raises risk of damage to everything involved. At the same time I perfectly understand the issue. 1,200 miles from our house (back to our old home town) at Christmas and "inheriting" two highly desireable 409 engines complete on crates that had to be taken immediately. We got very creative with the plywood and straps in an Astrovan (fully dressed one at that) and drove cautiously over the mountains in heavy snow and slick roads back home. Was it the wisest thing to do - well, only a gearhead would understand and thankfully my wife enjoys our automotive pursuits as much as I do. So I understand the desireability of moving that motorcycle. If you can't do it without damaging it and everything else around it, though. You may need to look hard at what others are doing to transport their motorcycles with their RV's regardless of whether it's an Airstream or not. Good luck with this one, it's a tough decision. Could you grenade the propane tanks and put a cycle carrier there? I'm just trying to picture what might creatively work. It could possibly stand on end? Take the wheels and bars off....... like you I'd hate to leave a good Honda on the tarmac
Barry
Old 08-04-2007, 09:31 PM   #8
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I had the CX500 at one point and its a heavy bike for 500 cc (water cooled shaft-drive street bike). I'd certainly want sturdy tie downs if I were doing what's being suggested.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 07:43 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
I believe that I would crate the bike solidly, using a plywood floor and a good sturdy framework to attach the bike to. The crate would make the loading and securing inside the trailer a lot easier - as well as serving to distribute the load more evenly. If you have vinyl flooring you might consider pre-attaching a piece of carpeting to the bottom of the crate before you load up. It sounds like you're making that Jeep Wagoneer earn its' keep!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 08:06 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
I'd enlarge the door so I could just drive it up in. Beef up the floor for about 8' and rig yourself up two secure loops in the floor on each side. Then just ride it up in, shut it off, strap it down, close the door, and get going.

git r done!
Old 08-05-2007, 08:50 AM   #11
Full-timer

1971 27' Overlander
Pumpkintown , South Carolina
Thanks folks -- really appreciate the advice! Barry: removing the two 40-lb aluminum propane tanks and power jack from the hitch is intriguing. It'd be almost all tongue weight, but the Jeep has done fine with over 1,100 lb tongue before with the W/D cranked hard. I'd certainly have to stand the bike on end to have any turning radius, and that doesn't feel so good.

I need to do a kitchen remodel anyway -- new furnace, cabinets, floor, and possibly refrigerator. I'd hoped to do that before the trip, but it would help this scenario if I just had the kitchen stripped bare.

Though it would make things simpler, I doubt I'll widen the door for this one trip -- sorta have plans for that space. It ain't terribly difficult to take the bars off the bike, but it certainly does reduce user-friendliness. Trading the Wagoneer for a pickup is not an option -- it works too well for all the other things I do.

Heck, I'm all for creative loading as long as it works. I once hauled an extra motor, transmission, differential, and all my tools inside my Miata.

Thanks again!

It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.
Foureagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 12:06 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
I just bought a Honda Trail 90 ,1970 model K-2 ,its an awsome little trail bike
and Im in the same dilemma ,it weighs 179 pounds ,it has handle bars that are designed to fold down or turn sideways for such a thing ,putting it inside a vehical ,I could easily put it in the trailer thru the door ,securly stowing it
is the problem .If the travelalls rear seat is folded forward ,it fits in there
fine . Well ,I see what i can do ,it will be fun to have this to putt around the campgrounds and all ,has the spark arrestor and is licensed and ready for the trails.

Scott of scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 03:17 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Hi from Ga... I think I'd find a friend to drive the rig home and ride the thing home yourself. Hey, it's summer ! Regards, Craig
Seahawk09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 03:23 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottanlily
I just bought a Honda Trail 90 ,1970 model K-2 ,its an awsome little trail bike
and Im in the same dilemma ,it weighs 179 pounds ,it has handle bars that are designed to fold down or turn sideways for such a thing ,putting it inside a vehical ,I could easily put it in the trailer thru the door ,securly stowing it
is the problem .If the travelalls rear seat is folded forward ,it fits in there
fine . Well ,I see what i can do ,it will be fun to have this to putt around the campgrounds and all ,has the spark arrestor and is licensed and ready for the trails.

Scott of scottanlily
Scott, those are great little bikes. A ton of fun. They are not that common to find in any decent shape where I live and play. Generally they were beat to death or left to rust/rot out back.

Barry
Old 09-04-2007, 11:22 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello there safari 57, hows every thing going with you these days ? Well
surprisingly the honda trail 90 is very much alive and well .lots for sale on Ebay and craigs list big time .they seem to be the rage lately as well as the z50 and trail 70 which looks to be very popular .I went up to mount PINOS
in frazier park here in Ca a few weeks ago ,with the tradewind .What a great
time ,lots of blue sky ,tall pines and fresh air !! My son ( 11 years old ) and I
rode about 30 miles that weekend up and down OHV trails ,no motocross
stuff ,trail riding and enjoying the scenery .It has low range ,a two speed
transfer case of sorts ,gear drive ,so high and low total of 8 speeds .These
bikes are a great time .your right though ,the trail 90 could really take a
beating ,and many did get just that .The trail 110 ,the same bike has been
used by the Austrailan postal service for ever it seems and they are still in use today .Over in Japan and other countries ,there are thousands still running around as well as the honda passport (not the car ) and the cub 50
and other style hondas that were very similar ,the 90 has me hooked !

The Best to you

Scott of scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:56 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Scott,

It sounds like you are truly enjoying your bike and your time out and about. What a great thing to be able to do with your family.

If I get feeling back in my arms I intend to get another one. It's been too long since I've been able to get out and really enjoy the back country and I miss that a lot.

In the meantime with Donna at the wheel we are out with the trailer quite a bit and just being able to hit the campgrounds and enjoy that aspect of life is wonderful.

Take care,

Barry
Old 09-05-2007, 05:11 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
I was at the campground a few weeks ago and this guy had a big class A motorhome with a really cool raising/lowering platform on the back (like a 4-bar linkage). On this platform he carried a Kawasaki KLR 650. I thought this was really awesome. I ride a KLR 650
Old 09-05-2007, 05:19 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
I know it is not the coolest of ideas and it certainly raises risk of damage to everything involved. At the same time I perfectly understand the issue. 1,200 miles from our house (back to our old home town) at Christmas and "inheriting" two highly desireable 409 engines complete on crates that had to be taken immediately. We got very creative with the plywood and straps in an Astrovan (fully dressed one at that) and drove cautiously over the mountains in heavy snow and slick roads back home. Was it the wisest thing to do - well, only a gearhead would understand and thankfully my wife enjoys our automotive pursuits as much as I do. So I understand the desireability of moving that motorcycle. If you can't do it without damaging it and everything else around it, though. You may need to look hard at what others are doing to transport their motorcycles with their RV's regardless of whether it's an Airstream or not. Good luck with this one, it's a tough decision. Could you grenade the propane tanks and put a cycle carrier there? I'm just trying to picture what might creatively work. It could possibly stand on end? Take the wheels and bars off....... like you I'd hate to leave a good Honda on the tarmac
Barry
I can take one of those 409's off your hands. Help you out by clearing some space in your garage.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:54 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
I can take one of those 409's off your hands. Help you out by clearing some space in your garage.
Gosh, I feel bad. I already got rid of most of my engines and tranny's. One 09 has gone into a '34 Ford 3 window coupe and the other is destined for a '35 Hudson 5 window coupe. I actually had 3 of them and the last one is destined for a '59 Biscayne 2dr post. The hemi I had has gone into a '50 Plymouth convert. I basically acquired them with the knowledge that my buds would need unique engines for their hotrods. I shoulda kept one of the 9's but with 1,200 square feet of shop out back and the stuff I had I'm out of room . My collecting sort of got out of hand to say the least. Over the past year I've been spreading the goodies out to friends in need, so to speak, and in return they are going to pop past a couple of weekends this fall and help me complete my 70 SS Chevelle I had almost done when I had this health problem come up. Donna would like very much to start using it for her weekend car, but more importantly, we just need to get it done and off the hoist. I sure had a lot of neat projects planned that aren't going to happen now. On the upside, once the Chevelle is done and in the house garage, I'll have room to slide a somethiing else in the shop to drop in a 454 I've had in the wings for some time. Not sure what yet, will have to see what is available at the time. Life is good

Barry
Old 09-05-2007, 07:57 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Foureagles,
I'm going to disengage the brain here (pretty easy for me after work...) an just punt one. Why don't you tow it behind the trailer? If it was me I would avoid disassembly at all costs. Rig/frame/brace up something solid with the front wheel on the rear bumper. Brain storm over returning to reality. Probably get voted off the island for this one.
-KL