Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-18-2012, 08:26 PM   #1
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Mirrors & Tires

I just purchased a fabulous 2006 25' Safari. It has sat for two years and has original tires. My first order of business is purchasing four new tires.

My question is (since I pick it up in about 10 days) do I need extended mirrors....I drive a 2008 Suburban , the trailer is 8' 5" wide. I just don't want to go pick it up and discover it is not safe to drive, because I can't see around the width. Thank you. Very excited, I have waited a long time for this opportunity. Sbb
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:41 PM   #2
kds
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Frederickburg , Texas
mirrors and tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbb View Post
I just purchased a fabulous 2006 25' Safari. It has sat for two years and has original tires. My first order of business is purchasing four new tires.

My question is (since I pick it up in about 10 days) do I need extended mirrors....I drive a 2008 Suburban , the trailer is 8' 5" wide. I just don't want to go pick it up and discover it is not safe to drive, because I can't see around the width. Thank you. Very excited, I have waited a long time for this opportunity. Sbb

Congratulations on your new trailer! I added the extended mirrors and I think it helps! Mine are the pull out kind so occasionally I forget to pull them out and I can see, just not as well as I do with the extended mirrors. For me, it's not a safety issue, more of a comfort thing. Just being able to see better. I think you will be fine to tow with your suburban, but you will notice a difference when you add the extended mirrors. That's just my two cents. ENJOY!!!

KDS
kds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
At six year up north in Jersey, you may not need new tires. It is different if you were in Florida or the south with lots of sun and ozone. I pull all the time with a full size van or pickup dually. I do not run extended mirrors most of the time. They are mostly used to keep track of how many people are getting upset with me because I do not drive over the speed limit. If I see I have a large tail following me, when I round a curve, I pull off and let them pass when it is safe. You should not depend on the mirrors for backing. Your trained wife will do a much better job at that than any mirrors.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
There is comfort, and safety and then the law. In CA, you are required to be able to see a certain distance behind the rig, and from experience, that requirement makes for a higher comfort level, especially changing lanes. If you can get something from GM that is made for your Sub, that's great. I finally found some strap on mirrors for our Pilot that are functional, inoffensive to look at and weren't too expensive. Good luck
Old 10-18-2012, 09:18 PM   #5
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
I also have a Sub as a TV and got extended mirrors and now wouldn't tow without them. it's not that you can't tow with the standard mirrors but the extra vision you get with extended mirrors gives you so much more info about what's behind you that it is totally worth it. For the relatively small cost involved, it's pretty much worth it.

John S.
JDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:22 PM   #6
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Mirrors and tires

Where did you get you mirrors? Thank you for info,
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:45 AM   #7
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
The mirrors I got are the Milenco and I just Googled that name and bought them on-line, can't remember which retailer I got them from but they were located in Cleveland, OH I think. Hope this helps.

John S.
JDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:57 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
Our first trip I towed with only the stock mirrors on the truck and it was OK, then I bought a set of Reese mirrors that strap to the truck mirrors and they were better but not great. My father's F250 with the large extendable mirrors had set the standard for me, but extendable mirrors are not available for my truck.

Then I got a set of McKesh mirrors for a great price at an estate auction and wow what a difference! I wouldn't tow with out them and they're easy to attach and adjust.
I had seen these mirrors online and the reviews were good but I couldn't justify the cost, until I had used them. they're worth the extra money to get these if you can't get extendable mirrors for your truck, and luckily my mirrors can be used on other vehicles if needed.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote