Old 08-18-2012, 08:45 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2007 19' Bambi
Tempe , Arizona
Mirror extensions recommendations

Wanted to know if anyone on the forum have purchased mirror extensions for towing, and what recommendations you would have? I have a silverado pickup and am leaning toward a temporary and removable mirror system but have seen two types, one that connects to the existing mirror and a unit that is separate and hooks into the window. Thoughts and ideas welcome

Thanks engie the newbie

Engie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:18 AM   #2
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
I went with the CIPA slide ons for about a year before biting the bullet and putting Toyota OEM tow mirrors on. The CIPAs were a good low cost solution for a while, but in the end, their wedge and thumbscrew fastening system always had me wondering when one would fall off if I didn't get it just right. Also found that the tap on the screws were not consistent making one nearly impossible to tighten properly. Factory sent me new screws, but the problem was really with plastic threads.

Hope this helps

Dana and Olga
2006 Safari 23
2011 Tundra Double Cab
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:24 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
I have the Milenco Aero mirrors. I really like them.
- Ronnie
bike_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:42 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
We went through two sets of add-on mirrors our first two years - then got McKesh Mirrors - easy on - easy off - never had a complaint - still going strong 8 seasons later:

McKesh Mirrors | Hensley Hitch Towable Products

Bambi - 2002 (The Toaster)
Pathfinder - 2009 (The Buggy)

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:16 AM   #5
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
If you are going to keep that Silverado for several years or longer, getting Chevy tow mirrors could be a good idea. There may be good aftermarket tow mirrors that will fit on the truck in place of your present mirrors since there are so many Chevies, there are more likely to be aftermarket ones available. They will be more expensive, but can give you better visibility to the rear.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We use McKesh as well...can't go wrong with them... We used some inexpensive clip-ons for a while that got us by, but switched to McKesh...and now we can actually see what's behind us! What a concept!
TB & Greg and Abbey Schnauzer
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master
1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I have CIPA slide on's also and have had no problems and towed well over 6000 miles in some high winds. Haven't had one fly of yet and I haven't had the threads strip out yet. Thing is, not to tighten them to much. You think you should but, i tighten them till I can pull them off. Which isn't that tight..

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:12 PM   #8
La Casita
1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
Used Cipa slide-ons for three seasons and no problems. The shell keeps the extension mirrors from being moved by wind, so the angle stays right. I hear all good about the Aeros as well. Just steer clear of the ones that go on with rubber straps -- the ones that came with our trailer jiggled and wouldn't hold the right angle in wind.
Dan & Liz H

"I'd rather be happy for just one day than miserable for the rest of my life."
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:29 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member
2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
McKesh with the optional spots. Great visibility.
2002 22' CCD
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:27 PM   #10
Rivet Master
2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
We use the Aero 2 mirrors by Milenco. I really like how they mount to the stock mirrors without straps.
Scott, Becky & Heidi (our standard poodle and travel companion)
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:36 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member
2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
When we were towing a 30 foot sob we went through several brands that attach to the oem mirrors, they were all too small, vibrated too much and didn't stick out far enough.

Finally settled on McKesh, which were great. They extend well beyond the sides of the trailer and give you a good, safe view behind you.
Bob & Nancy
2005 ASLYG 30 SO
2009 Wrangler Toad
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:23 PM   #12
Rivet Master
2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
+1 on the factory (style) replacement mirrors if they fit into your budget. If it saves even one scratch, it is $$ well spent. They are larger and extend further than most add / clip-on attachments; they are generally vibration free.
~~~~~~ mefly2 ~~~~~>>>
AIR 44105 /WBCCI - formerly 2015-1; Yamaha XT250
:>) ducts are now in a row w / 2015 ducted air :>)
* 2015 Duramax 2500 Diesel * Honda EU3000iS
<>2015 International LE Eddie Bauer FB25<>
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:24 PM   #13

1975 Argosy 24
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
I can't speak to the fitment of the CIPA mirrors on a GM truck, but I'm pretty happy with the way they fit on a 2007 F150 with the big rectangular mirrors.

Il Carriaggio 1975 Argosy 24 | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member
2013 30' Flying Cloud
Virginia Beach , Virginia
What a circus

This may apply to only a few - or no - folks but having learned something I thought I would pass it along -

After unsuccessfully trying to find OEM towing mirrors for my '06 Chevy Silverado HD I've ordered after-market mirrors from

<< >>

How did we get here?

It turns out that when I bought my truck "gently used" the truck arrived with standard mirrors. I knew they would need to be replaced with towing mirrors but the rest was too good to pass up. On an unrelated project I asked my dealer to print the spec sheet for my VIN's build. The build sheet showed that my truck was built with factory accessory towing mirrors. Eh?

Then it got interesting. After shopping a variety of highly-rated after-market providers I thought to try the factory accessory for a price comparison. Although I expected the factory accessory to be much more expensive than the after-market choices it was priced from the dealer for less than similar aftermarket mirrors. Not by a lot, but let's say a low-budget dinner for two, hold the wine. Eh?

So I ordered the factory mirror by the part number my dealer pulled. It turns out that the factory accessory part number was for the '07 Silverado - - - and it didn't fit. Not only did the form not fit the truck but the plugs were different. Eh?

It turns out that, according the the parts fellas here, the factory mirror was too heavy and "they were falling off" the '06 model trucks. As a result, according to them, GM stopped making and selling the heated and adjustable accessory mirror for the '06 Silverado, although the unheated and unadjustable mirror is in stock and available from GM. That's a non-starter for us. Sheesh!

As I wrote there were a number of very attractive mirrors on the after-market. I ordered the mirror above as I did not wish to have a power extension feature. I did want electrically adjustable mirrors with manual extension, retraction and folding.

After we install and test the mirrors we'll post a comment.

Speed is Life . . . guidance is optional . . .
The Traveling Circus: 2013 Flying Cloud 30A; 2006 Chevy Duramax Crew/LWB
Air #42313 TAC VA-7 WBCCI #1290
gsmithii is offline   Reply With Quote