Old 07-16-2007, 01:31 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
She promptly responded to my email and noted that she did receive the trailer but it was not without difficulty. As Silver Threads noted she has been very heads down cleaning and also dealing with damage done in transit, and said she'll post a message with the details today. I think this has been very draining for her to deal with and I'm just glad she got her trailer. It sounds as though Silver Threads is going to provide a big piece of the visible update puzzle to make it her own trailer and she is very excited to have that done.

Sometimes we go through an awful lot of stress and difficulty to get our trailers but once we have them in our possession the hassles disappear pretty quickly.

Barry

Old 07-16-2007, 01:59 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
west hills , California
WHOA! It finally arrived. It was a huge ordeal and I think I aged about 20 years. The police had to get involved and there was some minor damage inside (mostly to things I was going to change anyway). The first thing I did was immediately take out the old cushions as getting pretty ones was priority one and then the next second of every day was dealing with the DMV. Maine it turns out is a no title state for trailers of this age and weight and California didn't take kindly to that so a lot of paperwork, calls to Maine and CA DMV lines later it even has a legal CA plate.... So glad it's here and thanks to all who were concerned... I greatly appreciate the encouragement!

Old 07-16-2007, 02:36 PM   #17

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
My goodness! Well, it's good to hear it finally made it home. It will all be worth it once you get it fixed up and it feels like 'yours'! It's a shame you had to go through such trials to get it!

Congrats on joining the Caravel club! After four years of camping we love our Caravel as much as the day we brought it home, if not more

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 02:39 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
Sometimes we go through an awful lot of stress and difficulty to get our trailers but once we have them in our possession the hassles disappear pretty quickly.
barry, they do? any sort of time frame when that happens?

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 02:53 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Great to hear it finally made it. Hope it is all you thought it would be.
jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:00 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Glad! :)

Glad it made it too.. I can bring my 65 Caravel out of the barn now and back into the yard Why did it take so long - was the tower actually camping out in it?

So we can learn, what was up with the deliverer ? How'd you find this company? So we can all advoid what happened to you in the future, we'd looking forward to the skinny!

Thanks,

Rob
http://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - http://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:08 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfood
barry, they do? any sort of time frame when that happens?
David,

It is my understanding that this can happen in several ways:
  • when the acquisition is made, regardless of the hassles involved, it's love at first sight (by pictures usually) and that's a wonderful thing , or
  • within the hour of the shiny object showing up on the driveway, and one realizes that all of the evils of the world are now being dealt with by others while you begin the incredible "Airstream nirvana" experience, or
  • over the course of several days or weeks as one delves into the new toy and realizes that it's going to take substantial "love" to get it to the next stage and having spent what has already been spent this is it, get 'er done and enjoy it , or
  • sometime in the distant future when it all comes together, the owner is out with it for the first time, and someone comes along and starts asking all kinds of questions about the trailer. During that process the owner realizes that they are speaking with love in their eyes and heart. Could it be any better than that? Sort of like finally recognizing that the girl you hung out with as a buddy in school is the lady you want to take to the graduation party and are going to marry and live with for the rest of your lives . Particularly now that she quit eating worms, and cleans under her nails...... , or
If none of the above happens you have a sad, lonely and hapless life. You'll probably go buy some hugely expensive SOB and watch and hear it rot right before your very eyes, and within two years you will be forced to go buy another one, and the cycle will continue (do you hear Elton John singing yet?) and you will never achieve your life's goals and never have a happy ending.....

There, how was that for an answer...

Barry
Old 07-16-2007, 03:08 PM   #22
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
HURRAY! The worry is over now let the camping begin!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:27 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
barry, great answer. i'd have to say yes to the first 3 and really look forward to the 4th one.

i've had some time lately to start thinking about my FC again which is great. i'm looking forward to working on it again as there is nothing quite like it. i've been getting absorbed in tanks, pex and the like.

by the way, to the original poster, i'm glad you received your caravel. you have a real gem. we can't wait to see pictures.

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:25 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
west hills , California
Thanks all! It was a lot like giving birth - so much pain the process but once I saw her pretty face all was forgotten (almost).
With it brought a whole list of projects, as you can imagine, but it's so fun. But next on my list will be learning to go in reverse and figuring out how to reconnect the brakes (PO disconnected the wires).
Old 07-16-2007, 09:42 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by selkirks@aol
Thanks all! It was a lot like giving birth - so much pain the process but once I saw her pretty face all was forgotten (almost).
With it brought a whole list of projects, as you can imagine, but it's so fun. But next on my list will be learning to go in reverse and figuring out how to reconnect the brakes (PO disconnected the wires).
If the brakes were disconnected it may be because they had problems with them binding. That has been my experience in the past when I've picked up trailers with the brake wires cut. If this were me I'd be pulling the drums off and inspecting the brakes at the same time as I was rewiring them. It's not very expensive to replace or repair them if they are not in good shape, and it also allows you to inspect and repack the wheel bearings while you are at it so you know that everything is in good condition. Better to do this at home than on the side of the road. These are all little things that as an owner of a new-to-you trailer you should do just to make sure it's all in good condition. The on-going maintenance is only a small part of the equation relative to when you first acquire it.

Have fun, this is all part of the "round the campfire" stories you can share when it's all done.

Barry
Old 07-16-2007, 10:06 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
west hills , California
PO said he disconnected because he had a powerful tow vehicle with antilock brakes and didn't want to get a brake controller so just disconnected them (he towed flat short distances to the beach). I have NO idea if this sounds reasonable but I'm hoping it's the case. If it is, is it an easy fix to reconnect? (If they're good that is...)
Old 07-16-2007, 10:23 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Axle?

Does this have a new axle? 65's Caravels were know to have weak axles - so instead of spending $$$$ on brakes, looking into a new axle (that comes with new brakes) might be the way to go!
http://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - http://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:40 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
west hills , California
Yes, the axle was replaced about 5-7 years ago...
My PO didn't have it long - 4 years or so. He got it to have a warm place to change and have coffee while surfing but the wife was't into it so he had to sell. His PO put on the axle and my PO disconnected the brakes.

Tags
caravel