Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-02-2016, 03:41 PM   #1

2014 28' Flying Cloud
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Mercedes GL550 as a tow vehicle

I have a 2015 Mercedes GL550 SUV, and want to use it as a tow vehicle. Tow rating is 7500 lbs. Wheelbase is 121 in. Horsepower is 429hp. Torque is 516 ft lbs. What size AS can I tow? A little concerned about the shorter wheelbase as compared to the pickups many of you use. Would like to tow a 25ft AS.

Thanks Dave
LakeO Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:06 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Ashland , Kentucky
Welcome, my tow vehicle is Mercedes ML350 BlueTec Diesel and it handled the 19' FC easily, no worries and issues. My Benz is actually a bit shorter than yours and doesn't have the air ride, but I have not experienced any serious towing issues and I cruise at 65 MPH. I have since switched up to SOB but much larger (24') that weighs in at about 5,500 pounds with 600 on the tongue. Again, no issues and no worries. Make sure you use a proper weight distribution hitch, get a good controller and pay the dealer to install the brake controller to the stability control system, it really is worth the extra cost.

To answer your question directly, I'd stay under 25', you should be more than ok if set up properly. Good luck.
Held together with the Husky Centerline Hitch
LongShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
We have a GL 350 and tow a vintage 26' Avion. Your biggest limiting factor with GL would be the 600# limit on tongue weight, which basically restricts you to 6000# trailers (given that at least 10% of the trailer weight should be on its tongue for stability reasons).

In my experience GL is a very capable tow vehicle. Its very stable -- I set the cruise control to 60 MPH and stay in the right most lane. I never feel the semi's who pass me at 80 MPH, and I'm only using a simple hitch (not the complex ones that the owners rave about). It pulls no problem (your GL 550 has more HP and torque and should do even better) and stops well too (GL has big brakes). I have gone up and down 10% grades at 100 F and the coolant temperature gauge did not move.

GL's cruise control not only downshifts but also applies brakes (which in turn applies trailer brakes) and you can use the cruise control lever to control your speed in most terrains. I would not recommend cruise control on sharp downhills (you'd probably want to manually downshift to 2nd gear to use engine braking). GL's OEM hitch has 2 large support arms. It not only provides a very stout hitch-unibody connection, but also leverage for weight distribution hitch.

In summary, if you can manage the tongue weight, GL is a very capable vehicle (probably the best unibody tow vehicle currently in the market)
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Mountain View , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
(...)
(probably the best unibody tow vehicle currently in the market)
and you are saying this based on...?

Just to be clear, GL may be my next TV taking into consideration 7 seats capacity, but... BMW X5 diesel is more powerful, needs less distance to stop, has shorter rear overhang. This is just an example of a car which has better towing characteristic than GL. Sorry about that...
bono is offline   Reply With Quote