Old 04-25-2016, 06:38 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
London , Ontario
McKesh Mirrors - Cutting rubber seal?

Hi Folks,

We're picking up our AS tomorrow, and trying to think of everything... The trailer comes with a set of McKesh mirrors from the PO, which look pretty substantial.

Someone at the AS dealership is suggesting that to use the McKesh, I'll have to cut away part of the rubber door seal, which is definitely not something I want to do! I've searched the forums and haven't found any reference to having to cut seals...

For those with McKesh mirrors - is this something you had to do to get them to mount securely? We're not full-timing, so I would hope that the seal would simply deform while the mirror is on, and slowly return to normal once the mirror is removed.

What are your experiences?

Thanks in advance!
Brawny

Old 04-25-2016, 06:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
I must have missed the memo on that one ..... don't ever recall reading it in the literature with the mirrors - or any other place.

Whoever gave you that advice is either misinformed or pulling your leg.

If you have any doubts at all then call Hensley directly.

You'll love the mirrors - we've had ours for over a dozen years now - very functional, easy on and easy off - and no damage to the window seals (or anything else for that matter).

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:24 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ottawa , Ontario
We used McKesh mirrors for several years. You do NOT have to cut the door seal; repeated use did not damage either the window seal or the lower door deal one bit.

Someone at the AS dealership needs to get his or her facts straight.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:12 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Chillicothe , Ohio
Is there a certain model of mirrors that folks find are better? Could be the silly question of the day 🙊
Old 04-30-2016, 10:22 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
West Vancover , British Columbia
I have had them for thirteen years and have used them on three different tow vehicles without cutting anything. DONT DO IT.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:26 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
East Greenbush , New York
If there are factory towing mirrors, go with them.

Otherwise, the mckesh mirrors are the best. Before my latest pickup, I used the mckesh. They're the best universal mirror, IMHO. They're expensive, but work well, and you can order parts from Hensley.

I still have my mckesh mirrors, in case I end up without factory towing mirrors on my next tow vehicle.

Just my $0.02

2006 Safari Bambi 19'
2017 Silverado LT Z71 Double Cab 1500
heitkergm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:33 AM   #7
Displaced Beach Bum

2016 30' International
Venice , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to beachbouy
McKesh mirrors are great and you do not have to cut any of the window seal and they do not come in contact with the lower door seal. Do remove them when not towing and it will keep the rubber window seal in fine shape.

We would not travel without them.
We drag Mitzi a 2016 International Serenity 30, with an Equal-i-zer 1000 yanked around with a 2015 GMC Yukon XL SLT 4x4, 5.3L V8 ECOTEC3, 3.92 axle, 6-speed auto WBCCI #6111 AIR #107335

beachbouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 01:09 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1993 29' Excella
Brighton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by heitkergm View Post
If there are factory towing mirrors, go with them.

Otherwise, the mckesh mirrors are the best. Before my latest pickup, I used the mckesh. They're the best universal mirror, IMHO. They're expensive, but work well, and you can order parts from Hensley.

I still have my mckesh mirrors, in case I end up without factory towing mirrors on my next tow vehicle.

Just my $0.02
Ditto. Used 'em on a 2006 Ford Explorer for 4 years. Didn't cut anything. Loved 'em. Still have 'em too. Just in case. Current TV has tow mirrors.
Hensley Arrow
Hans Grim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 01:44 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Make sure you twist the straps to keep them from flapping.

When I purchased mine, the previous owner also provided a set of fuzzy strap protectors which Velcro around the strap where they rub against the door panel. Sorta looks like a very fuzzy short paint roller but not rigid. Hensley does not sell these and didn't ask where he acquired them.

If they don't already have them, you may want to consider adding convex round mirrors to widen your field of vision. Hensley sells them or you can figure out how to attach some auto parts store convex mirrors.

Greg
Old 04-30-2016, 05:16 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Upper Sandusky , Ohio
We used them years ago when they first came out and they were built solid and didn't blur. We never had problems with the the rubber seals. The only thing I would recommend is to wipe off the webbing and keep it clean where it rests against the door panel to avoid any scratching.
*2003 Jayco Designer Series 32' Rear Living
*2015 T@B Sofitel S (exchanged after 3 days for Bambi)
remphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:37 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
I don't have a problem with the door seals. The clip at the bottom doesn't wrap around that much. Also you need to keep the door and the sponge pad clean so the dirt doesn't scrub the paint but that too hasn't been much of an issue. I had concerns about the window seals being damaged, so I slip a chopstick under the clips that drop over the seal and into the door cavity at the window. My dodge lip seals stick up and the clips compress them; still I don't have any damage after 13 years and lots of miles. May not be a problem on your vehicle. Also you will need to tighten the straps when it rains as the nylon relaxes when wet and the mirrors get loose. The only other problem I encounter is the straps vibrate when tight and the wind is just right. If it really bugs me I just stuff some extra padding between the door and the strap where the vibration is coming from.
JCW
Old 05-01-2016, 02:29 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Grim View Post
Ditto. Used 'em on a 2006 Ford Explorer for 4 years. Didn't cut anything. Loved 'em. Still have 'em too. Just in case. Current TV has tow mirrors.
My McKesh mirrors were used on a Toyota 4-Runner for several years and they were great. I didn't cut the rubber door seals, just let them get flattened.
I DID have to make some small changes to make them work properly:

The mirrors kept losing their adjustment on the road, due to the holding screw not being able to tighten them down enough. So, I tapped the threads in the tube up to the end with a bottoming tap,,[10-32] and used a threaded to head 12 pt. aircraft screw. (MS-21250-3) and using a 5/16" box end wrench, tightened it right down after fiddling with it to get the proper orientation. It never moved after that.

When mounting it on the doors, I wet the straps with water, so that they would shrink tight when dry. The strap down the side of the door, was pinched in several places with little zip-ties, to prevent aerodynamic 'buzzing' on the road.

Eventually, I just left the frames on the doors, and just took the mirrors inside when not using them. I marked the extension required on the mirror bars, and when I need the mirrors, I just slide them into the frame and snug it down with two wing-nuts on screws that I assembled. The aim of the mirrors was generally good, and away I went.

The whole set-up worked great for several years, until I traded the vehicle in for a Ford-F150 to pull a new AS.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:11 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
As Greg Horo said, I also used convex mirrors to widen my field of view. It does make a difference
Old 05-03-2016, 08:01 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
London , Ontario
We picked up our AS last Tuesday, and I wanted to follow up on the McKesh mirrors.

I was skeptical too about needing to cut the rubbers in order to make them work. We mounted one on our 2012 Grand Caravan, and the clip at the top of the mount was sticking into the gap where the window raises and lowers. There didn't seem to be any way to get it over to the edge of the window, even when tightened down as much as we could. While the mirror mounted ok, the clip was makinng contact with the window glass when we tried to raise it, no matter what we did. I suspect the comment about cutting the rubber was to get the clip over far enough so that it didn't interfere with window going up and down.

Rather than carve up our window rubbers, we picked out different set of mirrors (Domentic Milenco Aero 3's) that clip onto the top edge of our existing factory mirrors. They worked just fine this past weekend - didn't rattle or vibrate and gave me the visibility I needed. I suspect we'll hang onto the McKesh mirrors until we get a chance to sell them. They seem like good mirrors - but they just didn't work in our application.

Cheers!
Brawny