Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-20-2017, 12:46 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
McKesh Mirror strap noise-Fixes?

Hi,
We recently upgraded to a 25 RBT Flying Cloud from a 22 Sport. With the Sport the clip on plastic tow mirrors were OK. They were not wide enough for full rear visibility with the 25 since it's wider. We purchased some McKesh mirrors and spot mirrors from the Hensley website.

We like the McKesh mirrors very much. The visibility is just what we were looking for, especially with the spot mirrors. Only issue is some strap vibration noise, especially from the passenger door mirror strap. (Note the passenger door strap winds further away from the door surface due to the way the turnkey/click lock fits in at the top of the mirrors for adjustability).

What EXACTLY have users done to help with this noise? I have read some comments on a search about affixing foam, cable ties, etc, but I am not completely sure on what exactly to do. We have a rather long trip in a few weeks and I would like to resolve this before if possible.

Please help, and pictures all the better.

(If it matters, TV is a Tundra)

Thanks.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 01:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
I have the same issue with Canoe straps. To avoid the noise I just twist the straps and then tighten them. When they are round verses flat they don't vibrate.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 02:17 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Frederica , Delaware
Get the Tundra tow mirrors cheapest place might be e bay. Easy enough to install. Just make sure new mirrors have at least the same options as the originals. Power, heated, lights these sorts of options
Overloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 02:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
+1 on twist.
Boaters learned long ago that the bimini straps vibrate in the wind, so they put a twist in them to defeat the vibration.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 02:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Having long used McKesh mirrors, we have pads of closed cell foam glued to magnetic sign material. The magnetic side is towards the vehicle door and the padding is against the mirror strap. The magnetic material holds the pads in place while tightening the straps and makes removable easy. The pads need to be thick enough to push against the straps.

We came to this solution after the vibrating and humming straps damaged door paint years ago.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 04:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
A wad of upholstery foam jammed between the strap and the door will quiet most of it. Mine stayed in with friction alone, but I was jamming 2" foam into approximately 1" of space.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 05:02 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Byron Center , Michigan
I've used the twisting trick, too. Another trick is to tape a piece of pipe insulation (the slitted type you put around copper pipe) around the strap. It defeats the airflow that causes the oscillation. "Pool noodles" work well for big straps in a pick-up bed. The oldest uses that trick with his motorcycles when they're strapped into a bed or on a trailer. Cheap and easy; easily replaced if needed.
YippieKiYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 06:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overloaded View Post
Get the Tundra tow mirrors cheapest place might be e bay. Easy enough to install. Just make sure new mirrors have at least the same options as the originals. Power, heated, lights these sorts of options
We already purchased the McKesh and will be using them. We looked at the Tundra mirrors but they were both expensive and secondly wider than I wanted to manage for something permanent that would be present every day.

Wish that the Tundra mirrors weren't so spendy and weren't so big. Right now I don't have to fold my mirrors to park in my garage. With the Tundra tow mirrors I would have to do that.

Piggy Bank
Old 08-20-2017, 06:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim A. View Post
Having long used McKesh mirrors, we have pads of closed cell foam glued to magnetic sign material. The magnetic side is towards the vehicle door and the padding is against the mirror strap. The magnetic material holds the pads in place while tightening the straps and makes removable easy. The pads need to be thick enough to push against the straps.

We came to this solution after the vibrating and humming straps damaged door paint years ago.

Tim
Tim,
Did you have paint damage on passenger side door or both? I ask because it appears that we are only having excess vibration on the passenger door.

Wondering if I need to address both doors.

Thanks,

Piggy Bank
Old 08-20-2017, 06:11 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
A wad of upholstery foam jammed between the strap and the door will quiet most of it. Mine stayed in with friction alone, but I was jamming 2" foam into approximately 1" of space.
Thanks for letting me know how much foam to use.

Piggy Bank
Old 08-20-2017, 06:12 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by YippieKiYa View Post
I've used the twisting trick, too. Another trick is to tape a piece of pipe insulation (the slitted type you put around copper pipe) around the strap. It defeats the airflow that causes the oscillation. "Pool noodles" work well for big straps in a pick-up bed. The oldest uses that trick with his motorcycles when they're strapped into a bed or on a trailer. Cheap and easy; easily replaced if needed.
Thanks I can probably grab some pipe insulation at work.

Piggy Bank
Old 08-20-2017, 06:15 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Gator and Molly's Dad,
We tried the twist last weekend and it helped a whole lot, but didn't totally eliminate the problem.

I think that I will have to do more.

Piggy Bank
Old 08-20-2017, 07:37 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
Tim,
Did you have paint damage on passenger side door or both? I ask because it appears that we are only having excess vibration on the passenger door.

Wondering if I need to address both doors.

Thanks,
In our case, it was both doors. We have used various models of Jeep Grand Cherokee to tow our 2002 19' and the paint damage was only on the first. All of them have had places on the doors where the strap is not directly against the door metal and that is where the vibration occurs without the padding. Our foam pads are 1" thick at the thickest, but are closed cell foam and don't compress much.

I think I should add that we love our McKesh mirrors.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 12:46 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Twisting works!
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 01:07 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The Tundra OE style extending/telescoping tow mirrors are $175 for the pair on Amazon.
They were $115 each from discountautomirrors.com when I ordered mine in 2011.
The OE lights fit into the aftermarket mirrors when they need to be replaced.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 01:30 PM   #16
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
If twisting does not completely work. Try reversing the twist. That produces a different air flow around the strap.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:55 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
If twisting does not completely work. Try reversing the twist. That produces a different air flow around the strap.
guskmg

A-ha! Thanks

Piggy Bank
Old 09-04-2017, 07:56 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Problem Solved

Thanks to all who posted with ideas.

I took the foam idea and was going to use some pipe insulation, but then at the last minute also grabbed a couple of those flat fold can cookies.

Put two of those between the strap and the door. No strap noise.

Those worked perfectly and no worries about any black rubber marking up the car paint.

PS these mirrors are really great. Husband says that the convex spots are really REALLY great. We got them for both sides.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4053.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	234.3 KB
ID:	294035  

Piggy Bank
Old 09-06-2017, 07:42 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
I opted for a foam pad between the strap and the car door. I used a section of float from an old child's flotation vest, but pipe insulation will work as well. I kept losing the pads so I've employed a couple of Kirby grips to hold them in place. Cheap? Me?

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:40 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
McKesh Mirror strap noise-Fixes?

I found that small Velcro ties, looped around the upper and lower segments of the strap, stopped the vibration. I leave them on all the time.Click image for larger version

Name:	strap.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	293.9 KB
ID:	297306

Whizzo is offline   Reply With Quote