Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-09-2016, 11:12 AM   #15
Rivet Master
 
m.hony's Avatar
 
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 12,111
So...
Keep towing with the Suburban and keep the Land Cruise too?
__________________

__________________
2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 11:26 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member
 
bono's Avatar
 
Mountain View , California
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 375
Towing 33' SOB trailer with BMW X5 and ProPride hitch. The setup is rock solid. ANY Airstream would tow even better than my SOB trailer due to lower center of gravity and independent suspension. It is not about wheelbase!
__________________

__________________
BMW X5
SOB 33 ft trailer
Propride 1400
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 11:32 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member
 
coveredwagon's Avatar
 
2005 25' Safari
LOS ANGELES , California
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 36
I'm towing a 2004 25 footer with a 4x4 2008 Toyota Sequoia Limited that has tow package and weight distribution hitch. Solid, stable and not at all prone to swaying. Powerful enough also with 5.7 liter engine and tow/haul mode. A good combination.
coveredwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 11:32 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member
 
B00merang's Avatar
 
2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 414
I had an '05 Yukon (with 220k miles), and have a 2012 Tahoe (108k miles). Used both as TVs for my little 20ft FC. After having been slung around one time...on dry ground with no discernible reason (wonder to this day what caused it), I traded in the Yukon for a 2011 2500 Suburban, and will never use the Tahoe to pull Daisy again. Like others said above, what a great and safe TV. Safe travels. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 11:37 AM   #19
Rivet Master
 
Chaplain Kent's Avatar
 
1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,935
Since I switched back to a trailer from my classic motorhome I have only towed with a large SUV and none of the compact models like the Suburban so I cannot comment on those; however, I want to comment on using a vehicle for tow only. My King of the SUV, Excursion is a tow only vehicle. It is not friendly for city driving and I live in the city. The X is wider than the lines painted on most parking lots and taller than the roofs of most parking ramps. Street parking in the city means putting money in two meters. As a tow only I either have to take it out regularly for exercise or store it properly when not in use. Sadly, I do neither and admit my shortcomings and for this I have paid dearly for the oversight with frozen calipers on two separate trips. A brake job on a vehicle with both drums and discs is costly. Now before each trip it goes to my corner mechanic who lubricates everything, refills the oil my 7.3 has shed and makes the X roadworthy. If it was not the best tow vehicle ever produced I would find something more practical.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	back up pics 2 006.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	276517  
__________________
Chaplain Kent
2015 Coachman Freedom Express 19RBS, Chummy IV- Ford Excursion- 7.3 Turbo-diesel
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:06 PM   #20
Rivet Master
 
m.hony's Avatar
 
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 12,111
"I have only towed with a large SUV and none of the compact models like the Suburban"

You tow with an SUV like a Suburban?
Or a Suburban is a compact SUV?
Hmm...


Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
__________________
2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:32 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member
 
jholder's Avatar
 
2009 27' FB International
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 84
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomKirk View Post
There's nothing like a 3/4 ton Suburban.

Tom
True and ironically gets better gas mileage even towing than the Land Cruiser. Had it checked over this week and my service guy said "don't even think about getting rid of this truck!"
jholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:33 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member
 
jholder's Avatar
 
2009 27' FB International
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 84
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
So...
Keep towing with the Suburban and keep the Land Cruise too?
I think so. Save the miles on the LC and pile them on the Sub. I am in real estate, so wanted something a bit newer for everyday. And we camp so often its awfully nice to just keep the Sub all packed and ready to roll!
jholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 01:21 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member
 
2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 286
Goodbye to a Classic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomKirk View Post
There's nothing like a 3/4 ton Suburban.

Tom

I've heard that, but have never had one. I believe they are no longer made... is that true? Only the 1/2 ton...
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 01:32 PM   #24
Rivet Master
 
2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent View Post
Since I switched back to a trailer from my classic motorhome I have only towed with a large SUV and none of the compact models like the Suburban so I cannot comment on those; however, I want to comment on using a vehicle for tow only. My King of the SUV, Excursion is a tow only vehicle. It is not friendly for city driving and I live in the city. The X is wider than the lines painted on most parking lots and taller than the roofs of most parking ramps. Street parking in the city means putting money in two meters. As a tow only I either have to take it out regularly for exercise or store it properly when not in use. Sadly, I do neither and admit my shortcomings and for this I have paid dearly for the oversight with frozen calipers on two separate trips. A brake job on a vehicle with both drums and discs is costly. Now before each trip it goes to my corner mechanic who lubricates everything, refills the oil my 7.3 has shed and makes the X roadworthy. If it was not the best tow vehicle ever produced I would find something more practical.
Too wide for parking lots? Looks like my F350 with a cap on the back, and that fits in any normal parking space.
__________________
2018 International Serenity 27' FB
Michelin 16 tires
Hensley Arrow hitch

Tow Vehicle: Ram Laramie 2500 crew cab, Cummins 6.7 Turbodiesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:11 PM   #25
Rivet Master
 
2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
And there you have it. The LC is designed as an on-off road luxury vehicle; as such it will have a soft suspension designed for off road wheel articulation and on road soft ride. Your Sub has a very tight suspension designed for loads and towing. Try towing with a Ford Raptor compared to a Ford Super Duty and you will find the same difference. I think the shorter wheelbase had less to do with the towing experience than the suspension set up.
This likely hits the nail on the head. How level does the LC sit with the trailer on the ball? I bet it's squatting pretty good.

There's still hope!

The issue is compounded than simply sagging with the soft suspension. With the rear end squatting, the caster at the front axle is effectively reduced. Now you have a poor tracking car, that doesn't self center well. Perhaps it feels like pendulum?

Key to this, even more than a nice pivot projecting hitch, is to get airbags to level the rear. That will bring the caster back into check, and you'll have a imminently stable LC again.

Tricks like a short stinger, good sway management, etc. all still apply.

Funny thing is that a LX570 won't experience the above with it's nice automatic hydraulic leveling suspension.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:50 PM   #26
Vintage Kin
 
Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,998
Images: 1
Problem with LC is only partly about wheelbase. Crude suspension and high COG is more of it.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 10:58 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member
 
jholder's Avatar
 
2009 27' FB International
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 84
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
This likely hits the nail on the head. How level does the LC sit with the trailer on the ball? I bet it's squatting pretty good.



There's still hope!



The issue is compounded than simply sagging with the soft suspension. With the rear end squatting, the caster at the front axle is effectively reduced. Now you have a poor tracking car, that doesn't self center well. Perhaps it feels like pendulum?



Key to this, even more than a nice pivot projecting hitch, is to get airbags to level the rear. That will bring the caster back into check, and you'll have a imminently stable LC again.



Tricks like a short stinger, good sway management, etc. all still apply.



Funny thing is that a LX570 won't experience the above with it's nice automatic hydraulic leveling suspension.


Oddly enough, we also have the Lexus LX as well, but the suspension becomes the exact issue. It's rated less towing capacity than the LC due to that system. They really don't recommend towing for that one (of significant weight) due to the stress it puts on the adjustable suspension. That's why we never considered pulling our 28 w the LX.
jholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 06:20 AM   #28
Flying Cloud 27
 
smlbob's Avatar
 
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Union Hall , Virginia
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 90
I've towed my FC 27' many miles across the country with my 2015 Sequoia. No problems. Equalizer hitch, air lifts on the TV. Guess it's a personal preference.
__________________

smlbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1978 Excella - Has anyone made the same mistake? rushingg149 1978- 1979 Excella 500 23 05-17-2017 06:43 PM
Pretty sure i just made a big mistake! bonuts General Interior Topics 9 07-11-2012 06:57 PM
I made a mistake.......... Robbie R. Off Topic Forum 67 09-24-2010 11:58 AM
Dope! I think I may have made a big expensive mistake. Petethefeet Ribs, Skins & Rivets 31 05-12-2008 03:27 AM
The 2500 Mile Mistake. Safari Tim Our Community 15 05-01-2005 04:50 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.