Old 12-09-2016, 11:12 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
So...
Keep towing with the Suburban and keep the Land Cruise too?

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 11:26 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Mountain View , California
Towing 33' SOB trailer with BMW X5 and ProPride hitch. The setup is rock solid. ANY Airstream would tow even better than my SOB trailer due to lower center of gravity and independent suspension. It is not about wheelbase!

bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 11:32 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
LOS ANGELES , California
I'm towing a 2004 25 footer with a 4x4 2008 Toyota Sequoia Limited that has tow package and weight distribution hitch. Solid, stable and not at all prone to swaying. Powerful enough also with 5.7 liter engine and tow/haul mode. A good combination.
coveredwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 11:32 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
I had an '05 Yukon (with 220k miles), and have a 2012 Tahoe (108k miles). Used both as TVs for my little 20ft FC. After having been slung around one time...on dry ground with no discernible reason (wonder to this day what caused it), I traded in the Yukon for a 2011 2500 Suburban, and will never use the Tahoe to pull Daisy again. Like others said above, what a great and safe TV. Safe travels. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 11:37 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Since I switched back to a trailer from my classic motorhome I have only towed with a large SUV and none of the compact models like the Suburban so I cannot comment on those; however, I want to comment on using a vehicle for tow only. My King of the SUV, Excursion is a tow only vehicle. It is not friendly for city driving and I live in the city. The X is wider than the lines painted on most parking lots and taller than the roofs of most parking ramps. Street parking in the city means putting money in two meters. As a tow only I either have to take it out regularly for exercise or store it properly when not in use. Sadly, I do neither and admit my shortcomings and for this I have paid dearly for the oversight with frozen calipers on two separate trips. A brake job on a vehicle with both drums and discs is costly. Now before each trip it goes to my corner mechanic who lubricates everything, refills the oil my 7.3 has shed and makes the X roadworthy. If it was not the best tow vehicle ever produced I would find something more practical.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	back up pics 2 006.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	276517  
Old 12-09-2016, 12:06 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
"I have only towed with a large SUV and none of the compact models like the Suburban"

You tow with an SUV like a Suburban?
Or a Suburban is a compact SUV?
Hmm...

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:32 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomKirk View Post
There's nothing like a 3/4 ton Suburban.

Tom
True and ironically gets better gas mileage even towing than the Land Cruiser. Had it checked over this week and my service guy said "don't even think about getting rid of this truck!"
jholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:33 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Murfreesboro , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
So...
Keep towing with the Suburban and keep the Land Cruise too?
I think so. Save the miles on the LC and pile them on the Sub. I am in real estate, so wanted something a bit newer for everyday. And we camp so often its awfully nice to just keep the Sub all packed and ready to roll!
Old 12-09-2016, 01:21 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Goodbye to a Classic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomKirk View Post
There's nothing like a 3/4 ton Suburban.

Tom

I've heard that, but have never had one. I believe they are no longer made... is that true? Only the 1/2 ton...
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 01:32 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent View Post
Since I switched back to a trailer from my classic motorhome I have only towed with a large SUV and none of the compact models like the Suburban so I cannot comment on those; however, I want to comment on using a vehicle for tow only. My King of the SUV, Excursion is a tow only vehicle. It is not friendly for city driving and I live in the city. The X is wider than the lines painted on most parking lots and taller than the roofs of most parking ramps. Street parking in the city means putting money in two meters. As a tow only I either have to take it out regularly for exercise or store it properly when not in use. Sadly, I do neither and admit my shortcomings and for this I have paid dearly for the oversight with frozen calipers on two separate trips. A brake job on a vehicle with both drums and discs is costly. Now before each trip it goes to my corner mechanic who lubricates everything, refills the oil my 7.3 has shed and makes the X roadworthy. If it was not the best tow vehicle ever produced I would find something more practical.
Too wide for parking lots? Looks like my F350 with a cap on the back, and that fits in any normal parking space.

Tow Vehicle: Ram Laramie 2500 crew cab, Cummins 6.7 Turbodiesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:11 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
And there you have it. The LC is designed as an on-off road luxury vehicle; as such it will have a soft suspension designed for off road wheel articulation and on road soft ride. Your Sub has a very tight suspension designed for loads and towing. Try towing with a Ford Raptor compared to a Ford Super Duty and you will find the same difference. I think the shorter wheelbase had less to do with the towing experience than the suspension set up.
This likely hits the nail on the head. How level does the LC sit with the trailer on the ball? I bet it's squatting pretty good.

There's still hope!

The issue is compounded than simply sagging with the soft suspension. With the rear end squatting, the caster at the front axle is effectively reduced. Now you have a poor tracking car, that doesn't self center well. Perhaps it feels like pendulum?

Key to this, even more than a nice pivot projecting hitch, is to get airbags to level the rear. That will bring the caster back into check, and you'll have a imminently stable LC again.

Tricks like a short stinger, good sway management, etc. all still apply.

Funny thing is that a LX570 won't experience the above with it's nice automatic hydraulic leveling suspension.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:50 PM   #26
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Problem with LC is only partly about wheelbase. Crude suspension and high COG is more of it.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 10:58 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Murfreesboro , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
This likely hits the nail on the head. How level does the LC sit with the trailer on the ball? I bet it's squatting pretty good.

There's still hope!

The issue is compounded than simply sagging with the soft suspension. With the rear end squatting, the caster at the front axle is effectively reduced. Now you have a poor tracking car, that doesn't self center well. Perhaps it feels like pendulum?

Key to this, even more than a nice pivot projecting hitch, is to get airbags to level the rear. That will bring the caster back into check, and you'll have a imminently stable LC again.

Tricks like a short stinger, good sway management, etc. all still apply.

Funny thing is that a LX570 won't experience the above with it's nice automatic hydraulic leveling suspension.

Oddly enough, we also have the Lexus LX as well, but the suspension becomes the exact issue. It's rated less towing capacity than the LC due to that system. They really don't recommend towing for that one (of significant weight) due to the stress it puts on the adjustable suspension. That's why we never considered pulling our 28 w the LX.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:20 AM   #28
Flying Cloud 27

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Union Hall , Virginia
I've towed my FC 27' many miles across the country with my 2015 Sequoia. No problems. Equalizer hitch, air lifts on the TV. Guess it's a personal preference.

smlbob is offline   Reply With Quote