Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2013, 09:43 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
My thoughts on swapping from my existing ST tires to new rims and LT tires?

Still undecided after towing thousands of miles and two other Airstreams all over the country for the past years.

Reading these posts and other articles and threads should invoke some sort of conclusion, upon my part - and help educate some other folks as well.

Thanks everyone for your participation.

Now back to our programming.
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:45 AM   #22
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
[QUOTE=SteveSueMac;1299389]
" . . The author did mention the rule about taking an ST to the 65-75 mph range by increasing air pressure 10 lbs above max (so to 75 lbs) and indicated he reached out to Goodyear who agreed that was appropriate. So if 65 is too much of a limiting factor, there's an option with the STs. "
/QUOTE]

I ignored this fine print provision in my earlier post. It is such, that, only if there is adequate load reserve each wheel position, Adequate load reserve meaning only about 85-87% of stated load capability is in use when WDH is applied to a fully loaded TT.

Elsewhere (in a post by tire engineer CapriRacer) is a link to the RMA Guide; How to Weigh an RV (each and every wheel position). One must make multiple crossing of a segmented scale to get this data, and, assuming the WD hitch is adequately set, make certain of each and every wheel on the TT before any increase in speed is justified.

Heat kills tires. ST tires meet their limitations quickly.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:34 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
What about running P tires on a trailer. De-rated 10% or so as recommended.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:51 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

I used P-rated tires for years on my Airstream that had probably a 75% loading factor (ie, 25% below maximum loading limits). I never had a problem.

I've also had good luck with my present C-rated STs, which also have about a 75% loading factor. My first problem with these STs occurred just last week when I noticed a rounding of the tread on one tire after a run to Key West, about a 2500 mile trip. This rounding indicates the beginning of belt separation. However, these tires are dated mid-2005, thus turning eight years old this year. I was planning to change them out in a few months anyway. But they never left me on the road.

Ironically, on the same trip to Key West, one of the E-rated LT tires on my F250 made in December 2007 experienced a rounded-tire tread separation on the same trip to Key West, but this one did separate and lose air on the road, requiring a tire change on a busy Interstate. Thank goodness for my PressurePro, which alarmed as the tire went down, thus allowing me to pull off the road before going completely flat and perhaps coming apart.
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:11 PM   #25

Greensburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
This month's issue of Trailer Life discusses travel trailer tires and the differences between ST tires and LT tires as well as some brand options.

And in this article, the author issues a resounding "NO" to the use of LT tires upon travel trailers.

June 2013 issue, " Trailer Life" - author Tom Walton...

Of course Trailer Life Magazine is going to say that, Because the maunfactures who make those JUNK Chinese RV tires that smell like uncured rubber spend big money advertising in their magazine every month.
KeystoneKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:38 PM   #26
Vince & Virginia

1969 21' Globetrotter
Riverside , California
I've been thinking about making the switch to the 16" Michelins next year but have a concern about size. I have a single axle '69 and the tires it came with were some old 7.00 x 15's. It was a close fit getting them in and out. I'm now on my second set of 15" GYM's (had one blowout on a 4.5 year old tire) but really spend a lot of anxious time looking in the mirrors dreading another problem.

Do you think Michelin 16's fit in my wheel wells?

"The Towster" 1969 Globetrotter 21' (Silver)
"The Yeti" 2001 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 8.1 Allison Crew Cab (White)
"The Boat" Old Town Canoe Discovery 174 (Green)
Towster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:51 PM   #27
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
"Do you think Michelin 16's fit in my wheel wells?"

If you have a new axle...possibly.

I had to deflate the 225/75/15 GYM's on our 63 22 Safari to r&r, even with a good axle. It was more width than diameter for us.

Bob
Old 05-19-2013, 03:19 PM   #28
Vince & Virginia

1969 21' Globetrotter
Riverside , California
16's on a single axle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

If you have a new axle...possibly.
Axles were replace in 2003, so they should be okay.

Anyone else out there try 16's on an older single axle?

"The Towster" 1969 Globetrotter 21' (Silver)
"The Yeti" 2001 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 8.1 Allison Crew Cab (White)
"The Boat" Old Town Canoe Discovery 174 (Green)
Towster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #29
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towster View Post

What is the load per tire with WD applied (and a 12% reserve on top of that) is the question needing an answer (to fully answer). A YOKOHAMA RY-215 is a commercial 7.00x15 (also, 7Rx15) with a load capacity of around 1800-lbs. If TT axle scale value is 3,200-lbs with WD applied this tire may work. See TIRE RACK site to get details and work numbers.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:46 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
It is not just the static weight and force applied by the WD and anti sway systems that should be considered. It is also the G force applied when tires slam into the edge of a pot hole etc. Or, The force of the anti sway system trying to swing the trailer side ways like a baseball bat. Inherently the anti sway systems purpose is to keep the TV and Coach in a straight line. So when you turn, the lateral force on all tires increase extemporaneous, because of the force applied by the anti sway system.
Add to this the Hiway speed, weight of the coach, poor or unskilled towing technics and you have a formula for failure.
IMHO
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:00 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
SW , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towster View Post

I'm running 215/85R16 LT tires, but on a double axle. My OEM tire size was 7.00R15. No problems with clearance for the last couple of years. I plan to replace them with the same size when necessary.
Kyle401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:54 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
ashland , Missouri
Kyle401, where in Mo. are you? I have been thinking about running 215/85r16 on my 73, I tried 225/75r16 and I didn't have the clearance,The OEM was 7.00x15. I have been going round an round with this, I have went up to 16's on my other trailers just to get a better tire and get rid of the ST s but this one is not letting me. I am in Columbia,Mo.would like to talk to you, can you send me your number Red
Redder is offline   Reply With Quote