Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-15-2013, 05:03 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
LT tires vs. ST tires - Trailer Life article

This month's issue of Trailer Life discusses travel trailer tires and the differences between ST tires and LT tires as well as some brand options.

And in this article, the author issues a resounding "NO" to the use of LT tires upon travel trailers.

June 2013 issue, " Trailer Life" - author Tom Walton...

JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:22 AM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Well.... you have to believe it if it's in print!!

But then again I still use bias on the old Ford, ST on the trailers, LT on the Burb and P's on the DW's DD.

Bob
Old 05-15-2013, 05:41 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I seem to remember a magazine article that said Airstream trailers were the worst towing trailers.
Caveat lector.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:55 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Airstreams are not your typical travel trailer. It is more of a sports car of the trailer world as opposed to a hay wagon that ST tires were designed for. The whole issue about side wall stiffness does not really apply some something with a low center of gravity. If you have seen an ST compared to a passenger rated tire the ST tire looks like a condom in comparison. It looks more like something you would put on a bicycle. The sidewall stiffness comes from 80psi more than anything else. When that goes it takes some trailer with it.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:56 AM   #5
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Does TRAILER LIFE claim to be free of bias on behalf of advertising revenue? Biting the hand that feeds it? TL is a vehicle for advertising. And, did they note that once upon a time there was no such thing as an ST tire, that all we had were LT?

Notice that there are no bad RVs. No bad tow vehicles. Or what would constitute the difference between good and bad.

Does it read like a re-hashed press release? ST tires do look good on paper. So long as one NEVER exceeds 65-mph, or, as was recently said by a tire engineer, running that speed on this tire type is similar to running at engine at redline . . constantly. It won't take long to wear down. Was this the main point of discussion, that towing speeds are central in making this kind of claim?

I note elsewhere in the online access that there is advice which contradicts what two tire engineers have been kind enough to point out on this and and some other Rv forums in re tire pressure on TT's (and what the tire and trailer manufacturers recommend).

A tire not good enough for passenger vehicle use is just too badly designed or constructed or tested to be adequate. There are dealers who won't install them anymore and I know of no one in commercial service any longer willing to put up with their high rate of failure.

This is like citing the 80% Rule. Basis is false. Claims made are thence irrelevant.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:09 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
This month's issue of Trailer Life discusses travel trailer tires and the differences between ST tires and LT tires as well as some brand options.

And in this article, the author issues a resounding "NO" to the use of LT tires upon travel trailers.

June 2013 issue, " Trailer Life" - author Tom Walton...
That's odd......I read that same article, and while the author did have a bias towards the use of "ST" tires on trailers, I did not read "a resounding "NO" to the use of LT tires upon travel trailers."

And then I wonder what trailer tire manufacturer the author is associated with.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:19 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Magazines like this represent a certain unofficial authority and must always tow the establishment line. That's their role - to tamp down rebellion. You will never see these authorities support the rebels and free thinkers and innovators.

The tire industry is a big one, and it is tightly regulated by DOT, and as such consists of approved guidelines, specs, definitions and metrics that the industry has agreed upon, and made their investments accordingly. "Rebels" shall not be allowed to upset this scheme! Imagine if the magazine had said, "Fellas, quit buying them inferior ST tires and move up to the LT for your travel trailers." The makers of those ST tires would take a hit and that kind of upset is never good for industry. Magazines exist to serve their industries by providing advertising space. They don't exist to serve readers.
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:27 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstephens View Post
Magazines like this represent a certain unofficial authority and must always tow the establishment line. That's their role - to tamp down rebellion. You will never see these authorities support the rebels and free thinkers and innovators.

The tire industry is a big one, and it is tightly regulated by DOT, and as such consists of approved guidelines, specs, definitions and metrics that the industry has agreed upon, and made their investments accordingly. "Rebels" shall not be allowed to upset this scheme! Imagine if the magazine had said, "Fellas, quit buying them inferior ST tires and move up to the LT for your travel trailers." The makers of those ST tires would take a hit and that kind of upset is never good for industry. Magazines exist to serve their industries by providing advertising space. They don't exist to serve readers.
Amen, brother.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:32 AM   #9

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I read the Trailer Life (June, 2013) article several days ago. I will also have to strongly disagree with their findings and recommendations.

Based upon my personal trailer tire experiences in over 100,000 miles of towing my Safari 25FB, I have found that ST tires are junk tires best suited for static display in a storage lot.

I made the switch to 16" LTs about three years ago, and now have nearly 50,000 miles on them without the slightest problem of any kind. I did the first 50,000 miles on three different sets of ST tires. These ST tires provided me with the thrill of three separate catastrophic tires failures on the highway, seven different tread separations, and two loss of pressure situations.

My trailer will never roll on am ST tire again.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Did anyone notice that most (perhaps all?) the photos of the tires in that article were incorrectly linked to the tire descriptions?? :-)

The author did mention the rule about taking an ST to the 65-75 mph range by increasing air pressure 10 lbs above max (so to 75 lbs) and indicated he reached out to Goodyear who agreed that was appropriate. So if 65 is too much of a limiting factor, there's an option with the STs.

I'm still a rookie at all this. I'm sticking with the GYMs provided with the trailer, keeping them at 65 psi, keeping cruise around 62 and will see what happens. I'm not disagreeing with anyone else's strategy - it's good to know people are having success with other options so if I do experience problems despite religiously obeying the manufacturer's rules, I can explore non-traditional alternatives. Who knows - the 2020 models might just come with 16" axles and Michelins :-)
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:04 AM   #11
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Interesting, I flipped through several back issues and found absolutely no advertising which would be affected by an article favoring either LT or ST tires. I did find one article that advised staying with the ST tires put on by Airstream.

I don't have the magazine yet (rural delivery), so I haven't read the article. However, the Airstream Life editor runs LT tires on his 30 bunkhouse with great success and has publicly said so in his blog.

I write for the magazine and have done so for years. I'm sure the editor didn't agree with everything I wrote in every article. Articles simply reflect the opinion of the author, not some behind-the-scenes scheme to sell advertising.

BTW, I am in the process of ditching my E-rated ST tires for LT tires.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:15 AM   #12
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Trailer Life not Airstream Life.....and we all know AS's aren't anything like trailers.

Bob
Old 05-15-2013, 09:21 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Seeing as how Airstream has offered offered 16" Michelin LT tires as an extra cost option for years and they were standard on the Eddie Bauer trailers, perhaps the article's author should have stated these comments were his personal thoughts and not those of any tire authority or anyone with real world experience towing Airstreams on both ST and LT tires.

Then he would not have had as much egg on his literary face.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:44 AM   #14
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Mea Culpa

I had just responded to an email about Airstream Life and my brain just didn't shift gears. Too late to edit it now, though.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:37 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
...I'm sticking with the GYMs provided with the trailer, keeping them at 65 psi, keeping cruise around 62 and will see what happens. ...
Almost 3 years ago, I replaced the original OEM ST tires shortly after we purchased our previously owned Airstream; partly for the code date on the tires, partly from the negative discussion I had been reading about the brand, and partly because I didn't know how the PO towed and stored the trailer. I went with another brand of ST tires that many here thought was better and at the same time I installed a set of pressure/temperature monitors and a set of Centramatics. The wheels were balanced and I purchased a road hazard warranty for the tires. I also maintained the pressure per recommendations and have never exceeded 65 mph while towing. The trailer sees some road miles 9 months of the year and is jacked off the ground during winter storage.

Last month after we came back from a short weekend trip I noticed an uneven wear spot on the outside tread rib on 1 tire. The tire shop said it had a belt separation and replaced the tire per the warranty. The others looked good. Then last week, on a trip to Jackson Center to have some other work done, I noticed strings sticking out of another tire when I stopped for fuel and the tread surface had a rounded appearance similar to a motorcycle tire! A dealer in the chain was only 4 miles away and within an hour I was back on the road with another replacement courtesy of the warranty. They did a closer inspection of the other 2 and saw no problems.

I've been towing travel trailers since 1981 and am no stranger to ST tires letting loose with little or no warning. I believe the pressure/temperature monitors might give some early warning, but in both of these cases, these tires were showing imminent failure without loss of air or increase in temperature. While in JC I saw the 16" aluminum wheels with the LT tires they install as an option and didn't hesitate to have them replace what I had. For now I have much more confidence in them over what I've used for years.

We should always do a "pre-flight" every time before we pull out in addition to regular pressure checks on the tires. It is also good to get in the habit of looking at the tires at every fuel stop. If one lets loose at road speed, cosmetic damage to the trailer is likely, but taking out some plumbing or electrical has been known to happen way too often.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:02 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
NE Central , Kansas
Trailer Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
I had just responded to an email about Airstream Life and my brain just didn't shift gears. Too late to edit it now, though.

If it is any consolation, my brain, too, translated 'Trailer Life' to read 'Airstream Life'.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:07 PM   #17
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Come on....we all know a trailers' just a trailer but an Airstream is your House...mostly.

Bob
Old 05-15-2013, 02:40 PM   #18
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I dumped the GYM's for 16" Michelin's a year ago. I just did more than 6,000 miles on my 16"era/Michelin LT's. Perfect performance in many different circumstances, wind, temps, etc. I watched my TPMS' the entire time....no issues. But, I clearly recall a campground last year with a fellow 'Streamer who had 3 (yes THREE) failures of his four GYM's on a single trip. 'Nuff said.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:56 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
I wonder what the author of the article would say regarding the Kumho 857 ? It is marketed by them as a trailer service tire (USA), and also a light truck tire in europe, and asia.
Must be magic....
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:33 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Great popcorn - needs more butter and another beverage to wash it down...

Ok - better....

Discussion is good and just like that recent commercial on TV (it's on the Internet so it must be true), I'm sure the same can be said about articles in print.

I digest posts, multiple articles, feedback from actual users - but at the end of the day it's my decision (assuming money is not a limiting factor). This process has worked on my Airstream purchases (both model and dealer) and my hitch choice (go ProPride) but I learned a hard lesson when I tried to downsize from a Super Duty to a F-150 EcoBoost (damn I love that engine) and in one week (after more research seeing that max payload sticker in the door jamb) repurchased a new Heavy Duty truck (swapping from Ford Scorpion to Ram Cummins), again due to research on the now 2013 models.

Information is power - digest and then incorporate into your decision process for at the end of the day we make our own choices.

Now back to our programming after this one more quick commercial break.

JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote