Old 10-16-2016, 02:58 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Sounds like you do not have a TV already?

I brought one home from afar. But I already had a trailer and a TV with a hitch and brake controller at the time. I had a local tire service go to the site the trailer was on and install new tires and clean and lubricate the bearings. I also had to change the 9 pin wiring connector on the trailer to a 7 pin. And install the part of the straight line hitch that goes on the trailer. Took basically 1 and 1/2 days to get it ready to tow. I spent 2 nights at the trailer location.

If you do not have a TV nor plans to get one immediately or time to make the trip you probably do need to get it shipped.

Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 03:07 PM   #16
Currently Looking...
Cocoa Beach , Florida
The A.S. is a 2015 20 ft Flying Cloud. After reading the reply (thanks to all) my thought would be to hopefully utilize a volunteer inspector prior to flying in, and then possibly rent a truck to tow back?

My main constraint is that I am still working a 50 hour week and right now time off would be difficult greater than week.

Skip Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 03:12 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member
1973 Argosy 20
Rohnert Park , California
Originally Posted by ldireland View Post
I am a bit simplistic at heart so my question and possibly my answer is, why not drive your tow vehicle to your Airstream and pick it up? I am a true believer that buying used unless documentation is available, one should assume nothing and be proactive with maintenance issues. Tow it to the nearest tire shop and buy new tires. While the wheels are off inspect the brakes and install new if needed. Have the bearings packed and new seals installed. With all this done you can safely get it home and can camp in it on the way. I ca not think of a better way of picking up a new treasured Airstream.
I agree. If the seller claims the tires, brakes, bearings, shocks and springs are all good, make your purchase conditional on all these items passing an inspection by a reputable RV service center or garage. Also, make sure your tow vehicle is adequate for towing the size of trailer, including addition of a brake controller if its never been used before as a t.v.
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 03:21 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member
2007 25' Safari
Attleboro , Massachusetts
I sometimes think of buying another trailer. I wouldn't mind towing it home but how do you go about registering it if you are way away from your home state?
romeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 03:34 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member
1977 31' Sovereign
2005 30' Safari
North Port , Florida
You can generally get a temporary tag from the purchase state
cliffcharb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 03:36 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Most states will give you a temporary plate. They like the money. That may also is a way of checking the title before you leave town.

Call the state motor vehicle dept before you leave to go pick it up.
2004 Excursion 4x4
1991 34 ft. Excella +220,000 miles, new laminated flooring, new upholstery, new 3200 lbs axles

HowieE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:01 PM   #21
Silver Star
1970 23' Safari
Victoria , British Columbia
I bought mine online sight unseen ... I then picked it up and towed home after doing a basic check on the wheels / tires etc ....It was a full days trip away .... the PO had been using it until 1 1/2years before and had replaced the tires and had it certified by an RV shop (at that time) . Since my plan was to do a full interior reno and expected to have to do axles etc I wasn't to concerned about the insides which made it easier to buy sight unseen. I would find the unit you want and then decide if its worth getting or shipping. If the units been regularly used there is a good chance its road worthy to get home. Also you could make a road worthy certification by a local RV dealer part of your condition of sale.
rucos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:07 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member
2007 27' Safari FB SE
Rancho Murieta , California
Agree with IDIreland! Drive out there and tow it home! We picked ours up at Bill Thomas Trailer in Missouri. Drove 2,400 miles and towed it home. We STILL reminisce. One of the best trips we've ever taken!
As for condition, connect with the nearest Airstream dealer for a "Once-over." We were lucky enough to buy from a AS dealer.
Go make memories! Have fun!

Ronman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 09:23 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member
2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
I bought a 2013 Flying Cloud 19 last October sight unseen but had a FaceTime tour via phone. Sold it last spring, just bought a 2014 FC 23 also sight unseen except for once again, a live video tour. This one was 1700 miles away. Both purchases were contingent on seeing it in person, but I felt confident in both and was delighted both times.

Picking it up yourself and doing a maiden voyage on the way home is a great approach!
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 11:02 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member
1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
Most car rental companies do not allow you to tow with their rental pickups, but, the box trucks they rent for movers usually have a hitch so they can rent a dolly to tow a car. An empty box truck should easily tow an Airstream and probably won't need an equalizer hitch. A key thing to check is the hitch ball size. You will need a 2 15/16" and they may be set up for a 2".
rvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 04:58 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member
2007 30' Classic
Ayr , Ontario
I had mine checked out by an AS dealer then agreed to buying it. I drove over 4000km to pick it up. I had my sister who was in the area video the entire trailer and put it on YouTube as well. That gave the assurance that the unit was in the stated condition.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:00 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member
2007 27' Safari FB SE
Rancho Murieta , California
My need to make arrangements on your end for the tow vehicle rental. You need something with a compatible tow hitch receiver AND trailer brake sensor. Only certain companies will rent a price pickup and only under specific circumstances.
Ronman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 01:46 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member
2016 27' Flying Cloud
Sunriver , Oregon
Where is the trailer located?
mcomeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:57 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Woodinville , Washington
A Different Issue: Sales Tax

Typically, there are two issues about sales tax:

1. Tax Rate in State of Purchase vs. Tax Rate in Resident State.
Obviously, if the sales tax rate in the state of purchase exceeds that in one's resident state (where the trailer will be licensed), the purchase will result in excess sales tax. For example, a resident of NV, which has no sales tax, would incur excess sales tax upon a purchase in CA. Typically, purchase-state sales tax can be avoided by having the trailer, although purchased, for example in CA, delivered out of state, such as in NV, which has no sales tax. (Typically, a sale is subject to sales tax, if any, of the state in which the asset is delivered to the buyer, not where the actual sale occurs nor where any money changes hands.)

2. Amount on which Tax Is Imposed. Not all states imposed tax solely on the purchase price. For example, while CA imposes tax solely on the purchase price, WA imposes tax on the difference between the purchase price and any like-kind trade-in value. Therefore, if you are trading in your old trailer on the purchase of a new trailer, a state like CA is not where to do it. Typically, this anomaly can be avoided, for example, in a CA purchase by a WA resident by having the CA dealer deliver the new trailer in a tax-free state, such as NV, and then by the WA buyer driving the trailer to and licensing it in WA, where the sales tax will be imposed on purchase price less trade-in value.

Alta & Richard, Seattle area --- WBCCI 8877
"Aurum": 2015 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 Diesel
"Argentum": 2016 AS FC 27 FB
"BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"Megan" (aka "LittleDog"): F Shih Tzu, 15 lb
WL7Z --- NAUI --- WSBA
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote