Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2016, 09:30 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Cocoa Beach , Florida
Smile Long Distance A.S. Purchase - Tow home options?

Good morning,
New member chasing the dream of purchasing an Air Stream as part of retirement. In researching used purchases, most are out of state. I am not certain how to proceed. Off course I will fly in and evaluate the A.S., possibly with a volunteer inspector. If the deals comes to fruition, what are the options for bringing the trailer home (possibly > 1,000) miles? Pay for a trusted delivery service, rent a u-Haul with a hitch, ect?

I have been reading the forum for several months to educate myself to insure basic knowledge and appreciate the professional respect and information posted.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Skip Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 09:32 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
I used USHIP.COM twice for out of state delivery.
LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 09:51 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Cocoa Beach , Florida
LilNomad,
Can you inform me if your purchase was via a covered trailer or towed, and did they offer insurance? I would be heartbroken to receive a damaged A.S.
Thanks
Old 10-16-2016, 09:51 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Depends on the age. If older and the running gear may be in question consider a trailer service. if you just have someone tow it and they spin a bearing or shred a tire into the body that will get expensive.

A newer trailer that has ben on the road towing by you or others is an option.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 11:08 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Fresno , California
How about this solution.

I am a bit simplistic at heart so my question and possibly my answer is, why not drive your tow vehicle to your Airstream and pick it up? I am a true believer that buying used unless documentation is available, one should assume nothing and be proactive with maintenance issues. Tow it to the nearest tire shop and buy new tires. While the wheels are off inspect the brakes and install new if needed. Have the bearings packed and new seals installed. With all this done you can safely get it home and can camp in it on the way. I ca not think of a better way of picking up a new treasured Airstream.
ldireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 11:13 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Sunriver , Oregon
Whats the age of the unit? Where is trailer located at? Might have someone close to help inspect with you.
mcomeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 11:20 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Stone View Post
Good morning,
New member chasing the dream of purchasing an Air Stream as part of retirement. In researching used purchases, most are out of state. I am not certain how to proceed. Off course I will fly in and evaluate the A.S., possibly with a volunteer inspector. If the deals comes to fruition, what are the options for bringing the trailer home (possibly > 1,000) miles? Pay for a trusted delivery service, rent a u-Haul with a hitch, ect?

I have been reading the forum for several months to educate myself to insure basic knowledge and appreciate the professional respect and information posted.
Thanks
The method of transport would also depend on the size Airstream you're considering buying. I think usually if it's a trailer you're seriously attracted to ,sellers are pretty honest if you ask the right questions. I purchased a 74 30' Excella in Michigan . Actually purchased a 91 Suburban in Flordia, fllew down and picked that up and drove it back to Baltimore picked up my son and drove to Michigan and payed for the Excella and we drove that back to Baltimore. Both purchases with information provided by the sellers plus photos. Both excellent transaction. About a year later purchased a 95, 25' classic via eBay sight unseen and drove down to Florida and towed that home. So you don't have to necessarily have to personally inspect it yourself first. Also I would suggest there may be members on the forum who would be willing to check it out for you.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 11:27 AM   #8
Member 2014

2015 30' Classic
Longmont , Colorado
See my featured ad posted a few moments ago for the sale of a 2015 Classic in CO. Will discuss delivering to you (or any purchaser) within the lower 48.
The Duo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 11:40 AM   #9
Full Timer

2006 28' Safari S/O
Newport , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Stone View Post
Good morning,

Thanks
I agree with the idea of bringing your new trailer home with your own tv if you can. However, if you haven't yet acquired your tv (as in my case), or are reluctant to make your first tow a long one, then by all means hire someone to do it for you. I used Showroom Transport (800-462-0038) this past year to haul my 10,000 lb 28' Safari s/o and they did a very professional job including, at the end, backing the AS into a tight and difficult space. They are fully insured and did a written (with photos) survey of the unit before starting out. You can get a no obligation estimate of the costs when you call them.
mpawilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 11:43 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Zionsville , Indiana
I purchased a 30' Classic South of Austin, TX in July. I had it inspected and made an offer based on the inspection. I purchased it sight unseen from an RV dealer selling it on consignment.

I looked into having it shipped to IN, but it was kind of costly, so I opted to go and get it myself and have a bit of a shakedown on the way home. Of the five RV dealers in the area, including the consignor, none could get it in for a wheel/tire change (to 16", the 15" were shot), break inspection and wheel bearing repack (they were booked out four weeks or more). So, I found a utility trailer shop to get the running gear work done. They went and picked up the trailer from the consignor, did the work and made sure it was road ready. Side note, a utility trailer shop is way easier to get into than an RV shop and I'm betting the work is a little less expensive.

I also purchased a Blue Ox sway pro from the trailer shop and when I arrived with my TV, they installed and leveled the trailer for proper towing.

Things I learned:

Picking the unit up myself was stressful (towing such a large rig for the first time for such a long distance).
RV shops (as least South of Austin, TX) are full of folks that lack any sense of customer service (including the one you are purchasing from).
Utility trailer shops are GREAT for running gear work.
Make sure the consignor (or owner) does not strip out necessary stuff (like the shore power cable) before you pick up.
You will never make the same time on the road as you do without a trailer, plan accordingly.

Enjoy your purchase.
rpenczek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 12:00 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
I would love to go pick it up if I didn't live in AZ, I would put it on the AS Forum and I bet you that another AS person would love to do it.

The best part of the trip is doing it yourself.
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 12:48 PM   #12
Stardust

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Seabrook , Texas
Out of state AS

Hi we bought a new one so different situation. We drove the 1,000 miles to pick up. We had a great time driving back.
Would it be possible to find an inspector to go over the AS and advise you of condition before you made the long trip?
nwdionne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 12:59 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
2005 22' International CCD
Red Deer , Alberta
Volunteer inspectors are great. They have more experience than you and can look for some of the common AS issues and will possibly save you a few flights. We are up here in Canada. Bought our first Airstream from Arizona. Flew down, bought it, then had a shipping company bring it to the border for around $1000 fully insured. We should have used a local inspector. Didn't know at the time that some of the 2005 International 22 foot CCD's had frame issues. Luckily ours did not.
Mangin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 02:22 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Anacortes , Washington
I found a used 25' FC on Airforums and drove from TN to Tampa Fl to pick it up. The seller was great to work with and sent plenty of photos and answered all my questions. It was my first travel trailer/Airstream so I had a lot of questions. The seller also used Skype to walk all through the trailer and showed me everything I wanted to see which worked great. The trailer was only a year old so I wasn't so concerned about the condition for towing home but the seller still had a mobile service check the bearings and brakes and sent me a copy of the receipt. Before leaving home I found a Hensley hitch on Craigslist for half price which worked out well. I was a bit apprehensive doing this but it all worked out great! The seller patiently explained and demonstrated everything then we closed the deal. I took a couple of hours to install the Hensley, double checked everything then hit the road. No problems at all and wouldn't hesitate to do it again.
Carmen214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 02:58 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Sounds like you do not have a TV already?

I brought one home from afar. But I already had a trailer and a TV with a hitch and brake controller at the time. I had a local tire service go to the site the trailer was on and install new tires and clean and lubricate the bearings. I also had to change the 9 pin wiring connector on the trailer to a 7 pin. And install the part of the straight line hitch that goes on the trailer. Took basically 1 and 1/2 days to get it ready to tow. I spent 2 nights at the trailer location.

If you do not have a TV nor plans to get one immediately or time to make the trip you probably do need to get it shipped.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 03:07 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Cocoa Beach , Florida
The A.S. is a 2015 20 ft Flying Cloud. After reading the reply (thanks to all) my thought would be to hopefully utilize a volunteer inspector prior to flying in, and then possibly rent a truck to tow back?

My main constraint is that I am still working a 50 hour week and right now time off would be difficult greater than week.
Old 10-16-2016, 03:12 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldireland View Post
I am a bit simplistic at heart so my question and possibly my answer is, why not drive your tow vehicle to your Airstream and pick it up? I am a true believer that buying used unless documentation is available, one should assume nothing and be proactive with maintenance issues. Tow it to the nearest tire shop and buy new tires. While the wheels are off inspect the brakes and install new if needed. Have the bearings packed and new seals installed. With all this done you can safely get it home and can camp in it on the way. I ca not think of a better way of picking up a new treasured Airstream.
I agree. If the seller claims the tires, brakes, bearings, shocks and springs are all good, make your purchase conditional on all these items passing an inspection by a reputable RV service center or garage. Also, make sure your tow vehicle is adequate for towing the size of trailer, including addition of a brake controller if its never been used before as a t.v.
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 03:21 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Attleboro , Massachusetts
I sometimes think of buying another trailer. I wouldn't mind towing it home but how do you go about registering it if you are way away from your home state?
romeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 03:34 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
2021 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
North Port , Florida
You can generally get a temporary tag from the purchase state
cliffcharb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 03:36 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Most states will give you a temporary plate. They like the money. That may also is a way of checking the title before you leave town.

Call the state motor vehicle dept before you leave to go pick it up.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote