Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2019, 09:46 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Jackson , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
I use the tennis ball on radio antenna looking things to hookup solo with no problems. Haven't dinged up a bumper, yet.
I also use the tennis ball device and really like it. Much easier
marciekaput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:04 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattirs View Post
Oh those are dangerous words there!
Unless there a life threatening fire or something else life threatening don't rush.
It always takes longer or is more expensive when rush is involved

Thanks
Matti
Yes, I know.....but I can see it happening while we are away. We have VERY elderly parents, 94 on her side and approaching 70 on my side with hip replacement issues on the horizon. I can see frantic phone calls and having to just drop everything and move (as we won't be too too far away).

I'm usually cool under pressure, I can see her "pushing" to get us on the road home...and god forbid miss something....so hence some of my concerns.
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:22 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
A trailer tongue jack caster is good to have.

Trailer caster wheels for the tongue jack used to be standard equipment. As long as you are on a level fairly smooth surface and/or have your tires chocked then a caster works fine. Even a heavy trailer can be easily moved around for your final line up on the ball. Use the chocks not just to keep the trailer from rolling away, but also as a fulcrum to pivot the trailer on. I keep a caster in both of my Airstreams (a hand cable puller or winch is handy too) following Wally Byam's advice:

"Sometimes you will come to the end of a narrow lane with entry only into a farmer’s yard or a dead end street. You have to turn around and there is no room to back around. In that instance, the only thing to do is to unhook your car from the trailer, turn the car around and then try to turn the trailer around by hand."

"If the trailer is too heavy or if the ground is so rough that you can’t turn by hand, then the easiest way is to hook a rope onto the hitch ball of your car with the other end tied to the front of the trailer tongue. Then you actually pull the trailer around with the car. You can then back on and hook on in the usual manner. I have done this in some pretty rough spots without difficulty. If you are on the least bit of a hill, however, watch it closely as your trailer may get away from you." The Byam Books/Fifth Avenue On Wheels, page 25.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:10 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air4563 View Post
I purchased a used Hensley hitch a few years ago. It came with a device which went on the ground under the jack which had a threaded horizontal shaft which allowed you to move the tongue side to side a few inches. I don't know if it is still available.
Here is the Hitch Helper device which Hensley still sells: https://www.hensleymfg.com/product/hitch-helper/

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:38 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I find the back up camera on the Tundra to be very good, since it's above and centered on the coupler. I can usually back to within an inch of correct.
The hard part is knowing how far to back, since the camera looks the same if you're perfect or too far. Since I don't have a spotter, and usually they don't help (they watch, not call out) I'm considering a second camera off to the side, like the Swift Hitch.

I like the ball to be just a smidge forward as the coupler is lowered so the coupler doesn't catch the fastener on the ball.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:38 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
I have a separate backup camera for my 2008 Armada. No matter.

I have constructed a 10' white pole from PVC (actually 2 x 5' pieces that are stored in my rear bumper storage area).

I lay the pole on the ground, aligned with the trailer hooking point (in my case a Hensley Cub receptacle), extending about 10' out in front of the trailer hitch point.

Pull ahead until the end of the stick appears in the camera. Backup and maneuver so the tow hitch aligns with the pole in the camera. 10' allows enough room for you to maneuver the tow vehicle so the tow hitch aligns with the trailer part. All that is necessary is to stop a foot from the trailer, adjust the trailer height, and back up to final position. (This last adjustment can be done before hand if you are dropping onto a ball. For the Hensley I am inserting the tow vehicle `stinger' into a square tube, so height is critical.)

I wrote an assembly procedure so I can hook up without assistance. I prefer this when using the Hensley, a little more involved than a ball. Usually one or two backups does the trick. Depends on the road surface details.
Shads Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:23 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
My trailer Jack manufacturer forbids a caster wheel on the jack. Besides who wants to move a heavy trailer around.

Learn to use the back up camera.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:04 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic S/O
sault sainte marie , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
As a TT noob, I'm not new to towing....towed things like motorcycles, car trailers, boats etc... ALL of the things I've towed, the trailer always had a drop down caster wheel to "position" the trailer "over" the ball, drop....and off we went.

So I was thinking about the logistics and it dawned on me that the AS doesn't have this. My TV (2016 Yukon XL) has a backup camera I "think" that will make the job easy enough, does anyone ever "add" a caster wheel to help move it into position on a LEVEL surface? Does it make any sense to do such a thing for being able to simply drop the AS on the hitch instead of playing the back and forth left/right game with the TV?

Seems like that would be an "easier" option, but not exactly sure if it makes sense to add or not?

Search engine isn't as helpful as I'd thought, or I'm just looking or asking it the wrong thing...

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Chris

If your trailer is a single axle, you can probably move it sideways with a castering nose wheel most easily, but likely not forward or backward, depending on weight of course. If it has 2 or 3 axles you are moving it nowhere by hand. My first camper was a 17ft single axle and we used the castering nose wheel to turn the trailer to a more advantageous angle relative to the shore of Lake Superior, including rotating it 180 degrees if desired. The next trailer was a 17ft tandem axle and it could not be budged.
bartzstream2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:25 PM   #29
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
If I can do it solo so can you. Backup camera makes it super easy. Don’t get in a hurry, go slow and get out and look as often as you need to. Now to get everybody railed up, I highly recommend not towing on the ball at all. Why would you? Yes, I know, it’s been done that way for decades but there’s a much safer way to tow. Weight distribution/anit-sway hitch is so much better and not one bit harder to hitch up. Good luck, so slowly and enjoy.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:27 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
Not trying to move it "feet" as that would be a bear to try an move around. But it seems the consensus is to use the camera and practice the line up. I just worry about what happens if I'm a 1/2" off and try to lower it down under rotten conditions or god forbid in a "rush"...but I'm sure it will be a fast learn process either way.
Hi, if only about 1/2" off you can push sideways on the tongue jack and it will flex enough to fall in place; I have personally done this before.

As for a helper's hand signals, we only use three. Left, Right, and Stop. No need for too many confusing hand signals.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:20 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Geneva , Florida
Easy with the camera

My tundra has a great backup camera. Once you have backed and hooked up once or twice you will be amazed at how easy it is to get it perfectly under the coupler. I have found it easier without having a person "helping" me. I just zoom right back and check when I am about an inch away and then just ease it back that extra inch. Easy peasy.
Freebird73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:22 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1954 18' Globetrotter
Airstream - Other
Manchester (UK) , Greater Manchester
Line up tow hitch

So many pieces of kit.......where do I store it all?

My method (UK) for solo hitch up:

Fit a CoupleMate Hitch Guide.

I have a small sticker in the middle of the rear window at the lower edge of my pickup. Small sticker on front of AS in the middle.

Line both up using the internal rear-view mirror, you're on centre.

Reverse to within a foot or so of the hitch, get out, check your height and set as required.

Get back in the pickup, slowly reverse until the hitch and guide connect, get out and lower the hitch onto the ball.

Simple

Works every time !!!

rob5301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:46 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob5301 View Post
I have a small sticker in the middle of the rear window at the lower edge of my pickup. Small sticker on front of AS in the middle. Line both up using the internal rear-view mirror, you're on center.
Hi, when towing with my Navigator, I put a small piece of blue masking tape on my back window and another one on my propane tank. Same idea as above.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:27 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
I’ve used a tongue twister for years. Helps with the last bit of lateral alignment. Started per backup camera. Now with the camera, most days don’t need to adjust.
“BAL 28100 Tongue Twister Trailer Hitch Alignment Aid”

2017 25' Safari FBQ - “Fly Fish Inn
2023 F150 XLT
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:15 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
I have a rear camera in my F150. I painted a white line on the trailer hitch that I put the black line in the camera on while backing up, it gets me dead on. Sometimes I have only to move the TV a little to be under the trailer. Not a problem.