Old 11-30-2012, 10:03 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' International
clovis , California
Lexus GX tail gate

Does anyone have experience with the Lexus GX as a tow vehicle. Specifically, can you open the tail gait when hitched?

Old 12-01-2012, 12:41 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Clovis , New Mexico
We just towed for the first time with our GX over Thanksgiving but we didn't open the gate while towing/hitched up. We are using the GX again on the 18th, though, so I will have a more definitive answer then.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:39 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' International
clovis , California
Thanks for the reply. The GX seems like a great match for a 23. The side open gait seems handy for day to day life. I was concerned it would impinge on the propane tanks when hitched.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:08 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Clovis , New Mexico
Do you have the GX now or are you thinking of getting one? The only complication that came out of towing with it was our VSC/TRAC light came on and hasn't shut off since. I'm taking it in the dealership this Wednesday to see if they can shut it off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0672.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	626.8 KB
ID:	173812  
Old 12-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
If you do not own the GX yet I would have a look at the Sequoia. It is a much better tow vehicle. The main advantage is independent rear suspension.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:41 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Clovis , New Mexico
Yes, we had the GX prior to even thinking of Airstreaming-if we could start over, I'd probably go for the Infiniti QX for a stronger tow. However, I am thankful it can handle the 23 right now-we will upgrade when the time is right.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:34 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
You might want to consider a Hensley hitch on the GX. Though it will work without one it will be much more stable with a Hensley and you will have no tailgate issues as it puts the Airstream a little further back. Once you get onto it hooking up and disconnecting is also much easier.

With a Hensley and the hitch strengthend you can to a larger Airstream 27 or 28. Your hitch is one of the hardest to strenghten however so it may be difficult to find someone near you to do it. If you decide to go that route you can send me an email and I can explain the process for you. I just mention that because it is a lot less expensive to get the right Airstream the first time.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:58 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Clovis , New Mexico
Andrew T,
Yes, we were definitely apprehensive of how much tongue weight our TV could handle. Upgrading to a Hensley or ProPride hitch is definitely on our to-do list, and I would love to know the hitch modification details you are thinking of. I have heard what your shop can do, and I am definitely interested...however, I think I might wait until the warranty expires on the GX. I've heard that any modifications, however necessary, might invalidate the warranty from the manufacturer's point of view. And I agree about getting the right Airstream...we actually enjoy the smaller size of the 23D...we did choose it initially because of our TV contraints, but we haven't wished that we had gone bigger...yet .
Old 12-05-2012, 09:52 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
GX with Safari 25' FB

I have pulled my 06 25 Safari across the country now with my GX Lexus with no issues. The tailgate opens fine, a little light when hitched to get big stuff in but doable for the chairs, table gear and dog. The GX is basically a bulldog. Small but strong and powerful. The automatic airbags help with the leveling and make it easy to raise/lower the hitch when hooking up. Backup camera good when hitching. I was nervous about the weight of the 25' Safari but another Airstreamer in Ark. had the exact same rig and trailer and assured me that the match would work fine. I have a Reece system and the trailer tows fine up and down hills and mountains. The GX has a powerful motor and drivetrain and the only negative is the gas milage which is about 9 mpg. On a separate note I had a tire blow out going across Mohave as I was coming down the mountain. The tire blow was on the Airstream not the car. Was going 65 mph down the mountain and no telling how many miles I had gone with the tire coming apart. A car pulled up next next to me with a kid holding a sign that said "You have a flat". So from a tow vehicle perspective the GX does the job well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3207.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	294.4 KB
ID:	173986  
Old 12-06-2012, 07:00 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Clovis , New Mexico
Woah, awesome story (especially about the kid holding the sign) and great photo. Quick question though, what is your GX's tire psi when towing? Do you keep it at the recommended 32 or do you bump it up when towing?
Old 12-07-2012, 07:52 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
I keep at 32psi. I also have had the TRACK VSC light come on twice during towing. It usually resets itself afterwards but last week had my mechanic reset the lights. Let me know what the Lexus Dealer says. I've noted no differences in towing when it is on.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:45 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Clovis , New Mexico
The Lexus service guy said he just had to reset the computer inputs or something like that (yes, I am not mechanically inclined), and made it seem like no big deal. I didn't focus so much his answer because I was trying to decide whether we should replace the driver-side window. When we were traveling on the Interstate (70 mph), the driver-side window kept folding up by itself with the tow mirrors installed. I ended up not doing it because apparently all the new GXs on the lot seemed the same, with the same amount of tension. RichHog, if you can recommend a particular tow mirror that you use, I would appreciate it. And I can call the service guy again and get a more detailed answer for you as well on the VSC TRAC light coming on.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:15 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Laramie , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgerardi View Post
Does anyone have experience with the Lexus GX as a tow vehicle. Specifically, can you open the tail gait when hitched?
If not you can always get a longer shank.
Santana tandem bike
WBCCI # 4181 VAC member
Antique Pedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:34 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
My Lexus tech reset my VSC Trac last week and all was clear til this morning when I hooked the trailer back up to come home after the Blanco Rally, so some clarification from a Lexus Dealer would be nice as this keeps happening. My tech wrote down all the error codes so I can see if he has more thoughts on the matter. I'll check and see what mirrors I have. Don't like to use them as they seem to scratch the existing ones and are hard to get to fit right on. I can usually see pretty well down the sides without them but I did get a ticket outside of Orlando for not having sufficient mirrors to see the back corner of the trailer a few years back.