Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2017, 08:54 AM   #81
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
It's difficult to see in these pics but this is the result of backing up a 22' Sport single-axle up a 10% grade with an 80-90 degree turn at the end.
One of the most difficult parking spots I've ever encountered, partly due to it being a blind-turn and also due to that boulder in the lower right of the first pic which prevented an early-turn of the wheel...as it would interfere with the front bumper of the truck. This pic was actually taken after the TV was disconnected and we'd returned from an outing. I couldn't simply back straight up the grade because it was too steep to level the trailer and also because chocks were not sufficient to prevent the trailer from rolling downhill and into a huge valley/canyon. This is campsite #13 at City of Rocks, just north of Deming. Most other campsites are better (but they were also already taken.)
Great dry-camping experience, with Gila Cliff dwellings an hour away north. Spent 3 days here.
Hi

I think I'll wait to get a bit more practice before I try putting my 30' into that spot

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 11:06 AM   #82
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

I think I'll wait to get a bit more practice before I try putting my 30' into that spot

Bob
Getting back OUT of that spot was almost as difficult. If you observe the second pic...behind my wife, below her left foot... you'll see a small boulder which prevented simply hitching up and pulling out, because the AS wanted to cut-the-corner and the wheel run up/into that boulder.
Therefore, I had to pull the AS forward as far as possible before turning the TV downhill...which cramped matters...again because of the small boulder in front of the truck prevented much forward movement.

We'll never forget that place! (If anyone goes to City of Rocks, NM ...I recommend campsite #14 as the best in the entire place, ... but not #13 unless you want a challenge.)
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:29 AM   #83
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I have gotten into many places that were much harder to get out of than to get into. One would *think* that would never be the case .. far from it.

One of my concerns when reserving sites "blind" online is that I arrive and find that my reservation is for "lucky site 13". In this day of information overload, the amount of detail provided on sites is pretty small. Without a report from somebody who has been there / done that, there's not much to go on.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:27 PM   #84
jkwoodrow

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Springfield , Ohio
This is so appropriate...

www.youtube.com/embed/Pkeiv7hZy_Y?rel=0
John Woodrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:38 PM   #85
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Go find a retired truck driver ,he can give you some pointers, the as is a piece of cake, start your turn and follow it around..
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:17 PM   #86
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Woodrow View Post
This is so appropriate...

www.youtube.com/embed/Pkeiv7hZy_Y?rel=0
Your link was broken...here's the corrected one (horse-lovers will enjoy):

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Pkeiv7hZy_Y?rel=0
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote