Old 02-21-2016, 12:07 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Lawsuit: salesman's statement of trailer suitability

Though I think it is common for dealerships to claim no responsibility for statements made by their salespeople, I suppose this couple may prevail in receiving some compensation.

http://registerguard.com/rg/news/loc...ailer.html.csp

Bottom line for buyers is this: Do NOT rely on what you are told by salespeople! It is not at all uncommon for salespeople to make statements that are incorrect, if not outrageously so.

You must do your own homework to determine suitability of a given trailer/tow vehicle combination with respect to BOTH towing capacity AND cargo/payload capacity.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Lawsuit: salesman's statement of trailer suitability

There are a lot of facts we don't know from the story. Was there a specific hitch installed and if so, by whom? Was there a sway control device installed? Which model trailer (there are apparently many within the towing specs of the Dakota and many that exceed the specs) etc.

Moreover, if the dealer HADN'T sold them the trailer, would they have been sued for age discrimination suggesting that the 83-year old might not have been capable of towing this rig?

Lots to figure out here. 😞

Old 02-21-2016, 12:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
The lawsuit is a real long shot, relying more than anything on the implication that the salesman deliberately duped an old man. Good luck proving that.

Get behind the wheel of any vehicle on the road and you immediately assume responsibility for it, both in safety and in legal terms. Of course you have to make sure you have a suitable combo, but taking professional advice first will go a long way to help you make the right choices.

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 01:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Yeah. This issue is not for me (or us) to try to figure out.

Like I said, you've got to do your own homework so you understand and can verify all the details; not take the advice of anyone else, including salespeople. People say a lot of stuff, like they know for sure, that is totally bogus.

And as for the lawsuit, it's a long shot. Though I suppose there could be some sort of out of court settlement. Not for me to worry about, anyway.

I posted this as a reminder to do your own homework and understand all the aspects of matching a tow vehicle to a trailer. Relying on somebody else (whether salespeople or forum members) to figure this out for you is a recipe for disaster.
Old 02-21-2016, 02:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Due diligence and common sense. Use'em if ya got'em.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 03:31 PM   #6
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

And the POINT is oblivious....

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 03:34 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1990 32' Excella
jonesboro , Arkansas
We were at bull Shoals St PK in Arkansas. A 2014 tundra pulled in with a 32 ft fifth wheel with 3 slides. Have you ever seen leaf springs with a reverse bend in them. This guy drove 150 mi thru the Ozarks like that. When he unhooked the truck stayed squatted down till he pulled out from under. Moved about 3 ft and the springs rebounded. Rear looked like it jumped 2 ft in the air...shocks and springs bent . truck and trailer still had stickers on them. Connected to trailer and drove from lot to park on first run. Guy was 71 and first truck and trailer. He went totally on advice of salesman at RV dealership.if nothing else read owners manual
Old 02-21-2016, 04:41 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We routinely see all kinds of bad advice from salesmen and forum members to support a decision or theory they have fabricated. Oversized vehicles and undersized vehicles, one as dangerous as the other.

If unsure get the advice of hitching and towing experts who have been in the travel trailer business for years. There are a couple of them who occasionally participate in this forum. There are also members here who have years of Airstream towing experience with a variety of combinations, and some who are newbies or never towed a thing dishing out "surefooted" advice.

It's a minefield of information.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 05:16 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Yep... don't trust supposed "experts" which isn't limited to just Airstream forum members and sales people.

The only way to know you're making the right choice is to do you own homework, learn about the various aspects of towing/hitching, determine your own unique requirements (which no one else can fully know, even though they dispense advice anyway) and then make you own conclusion.

Advice from individuals, whether on the subject of towing or any other subject, is highly questionable and often flat-out bad.
Old 02-21-2016, 05:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by joel View Post
We were at bull Shoals St PK in Arkansas. A 2014 tundra pulled in with a 32 ft fifth wheel with 3 slides. Have you ever seen leaf springs with a reverse bend in them. This guy drove 150 mi thru the Ozarks like that. When he unhooked the truck stayed squatted down till he pulled out from under. Moved about 3 ft and the springs rebounded. Rear looked like it jumped 2 ft in the air...shocks and springs bent . truck and trailer still had stickers on them. Connected to trailer and drove from lot to park on first run. Guy was 71 and first truck and trailer. He went totally on advice of salesman at RV dealership.if nothing else read owners manual
WoW ! That would be a sight to see. I'm sure such occurrences are remarkably common across the land. A little scary to share the road at times.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:17 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Mountain View , California
As a foreigner, I guess I will never understand how somebody can sue a salesman for selling something. As OP mentioned, do your homework and be responsible for what you are doing. Use common sense.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:19 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by joel View Post

Hi, yes on many Super Duty Ford trucks. Ford used reversed curve leaf springs on their front axles.

You asked.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a reverse curve.gif
Views:	6844
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	257652  

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:50 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
Buyer Beware

rely on your own jusgement and if not sure hire a professional

earl
Old 02-22-2016, 12:20 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
agree with all the above.....just wonder how they arrived at the $41 at the end of this huge sum. jon