Old 03-09-2014, 09:11 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
tucson , Arizona
Just a 2" ball!

Hello there!

I'm restoring a "66" Safari that has nothing more than the 2" ball hitch and the two safety chains. As you know it's a 22' trailer and it will be pulled with Tacoma. Will I need an "anti sway bar" or some other add-on when I tow it?
There is a small (maybe 1" dia.) ball & plate bolted to the front of the "A" close to trailer. Any thoughts?

Old 03-09-2014, 09:20 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
That ball was for a friction anti sway device. There would be another same size ball on the hitch of the tow vehicle and the sway control mounted between them. I had a 21 foot Avion that I towed with no sway control or weight distribution hitch, and it towed just fine.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 34' Classic S/O
Common Sense , Texas
Just my opinion here, but with a Tacoma I'd want at least a small light weight WD hitch towing that trailer. The factory tongue weight spec is 377lbs, and loaded will most likely go a lot higher than that.

I tow a 17' Casita with an FJ Cruiser, and the little Casita's tongue weight is over 400lbs. I would not be without the Andersen WD hitch towing with the FJ.

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it." George Orwell

'08 34' SO, '12 Ram 2500 4X4, Big 6 cylinder sludge burner.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:31 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966air View Post
Hello there!

I'm restoring a "66" Safari that has nothing more than the 2" ball hitch and the two safety chains. As you know it's a 22' trailer and it will be pulled with Tacoma. Will I need an "anti sway bar" or some other add-on when I tow it?
There is a small (maybe 1" dia.) ball & plate bolted to the front of the "A" close to trailer. Any thoughts?

The hitch head and ball being 2" was standard on these trailers for many years and is adequate for the trailer. You can replace it with a larger hitch head on the "A" frame and go to a larger ball if it makes you feel better. In my opinion weight distribution would be more effective than sway control on a smaller trailer. Unless you are traveling under windy conditions or in mountainous areas. Ed
AIR#7110

"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat!
When I looked at the tire... I noticed your CAT!"
Burma Shave
BIGED52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966air View Post
Hello there!

Hi we are almost neighbors. Your "66" is a lot lighter than our "08". I do not use either WD or sway. If you want more info PM me.