Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2014, 06:27 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Middletown , California
I've never towed before

Hi,

I have a 1969 27' Overlander that was towed to my place a few years ago when I bought it. I have recently purchased a V10 Diesel Volks. Tuareg which should do the job of towing no problem. It has the square steel tow part attached to the truck but I would need the ball/ hitch, and was told I would need sway bars. I also need new tires (4) and would like the breaks checked/ replaced. I assume I will need some kind of a hookup for the lights too. As I said, I am new to this.

Can anyone recommend those things I need, and a place to go to get them in the SF Bay Area or the Napa area? Can a tire/ car repair place do the breaks? The wiring?

I would appreciate any input!

Thanks!

Wade
Big Canyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:49 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
You will also need a brake controller, the vehicle doesn't have one built-in. The "hookup for the lights" needs to be a particular type, with 7 connections. A tire shop is not likely to be the place to help you, a trailer-service place or a GOOD RV dealer/service shop. I don't have anyone to recommend for you out there, hopefully someone local will know.

There's a bit of a black art to setting up a weight-distributing hitch with air suspension, and if I'm not mistaken all the V10 TDI Touaregs had the air suspension... the newer-generation V6 TDI doesn't. There are a couple of people who have or had Touareg tow vehicles on here, and I'm sure there are some Touareg forums with vehicle-specific info to help you.

Best of luck, and welcome to AIRForums!

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:13 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Truckee , California
Given your location, I'd go to Camping World in Vacaville or Bay Area Airstream in Fairfield. If they can't resolve your issues, they can refer you to someone who can. There's an RV service company at the entrance to Camping World...you might check with them too.
bganso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:16 PM   #4

1996 32' Cutter Bus
Petaluma , California
Give Vinnie a call at Vinnie's Airstream in Santa Rosa if that's closer to you. I'm sure he can get you going.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
AdamB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 03:35 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Oakland , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamB View Post
Give Vinnie a call at Vinnie's Airstream in Santa Rosa if that's closer to you. I'm sure he can get you going.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Of the three suggestions so far, go with Vinnie.
Tintini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 03:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintini View Post
Of the three suggestions so far, go with Vinnie.
I agree 100%, Vinnie's Airstream:

(415) 878-7071
(707) 861-8116
vlamica@comcast.net
2989 Wiljan Ct. Suite B
Santa Rosa CA 95407

Good luck and good travels!

Old 08-15-2014, 03:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Yes....Vinnie. You are lucky that he is so close.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:27 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
If you've never towed before, you might also want to look for a local CDL (commercial drivers license) training center and see if they offer a safe RV driver course. Best investment we made for our trailer. You might also get a discount on your insurance.

Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:51 AM   #9
It's Porsh-Ah

Boston , Massachusetts
Your taureg should be prewired for a trailer brake controller, the wiring is under the dash wrapped up. If it has a factory tow bar, look to the left of the ,receiver, if you don't have a spring loaded cap with a standard 7 pin connector you likely have a black plastic cover. This is over the factory German harness connector. You need to source the adapter from weatfalia USA, or see if a dealer still stocks them, they are getting hard to find and weatfalia may be the only source. Get good tires and an alignment, don't skimp on the alignment, take it to a dealer, there are a number of adjustments that your average tire shop will never touch. that vehicle will eat tires faster than you can believe, especially towing. Make sure the trailer lighting is good, or you'll be dealing with warnings in the dash for all sorts of bulbs being out. The taureg v10 is a very unique vehicle, but it does require a tremendous amount of maintenance, most of which I would only trust to a dealer. Keep in mind the tow bar is just a steel bumper with a receiver with 4 bolts into the unibody that replaces the aluminum bumper support, so be very careful when dealing with weight distribution, that being said I have had customers tow heavy with no major problems, but the vehicle itself is very high maintenance and has a number of known issues that will likely need to be addressed at some point when towing a large camper.
Old 08-16-2014, 04:05 PM   #10
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Rent a BIG UHaul trailer..with insurance. Pull to a landscape store and have it loaded with 4000 pounds of sand.

Now, pull around. Notice how it handles?

Please, go visit Vinnie.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:26 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Middletown , California
Hi Guys,

Thank you for all the help! I was able to get Vinnie to come out and he was really great. Love that guy He found some faulty wiring and was able to get the lights to work,the new tires installed, checked the breaks, bearings etc. and I was able to tow the trailer yesterday about 90 miles first time I've ever towed, on many very narrow and winding roads from my place and then onto the freeway. It went fine. It does seem heavy and a little bouncy, but remarkable considering the age of the trailer I suppose. No issues. The Touareg owners manual says not to use a weight distraction hitch and we didn't use one. My Touareg also has after market rims and fancy tires on it. I wonder if it would be better to put stock tires on the stock rims to save my more expensive tires for when I'm not towing? I can't really afford to replace those fancy tires very often. (they came with the truck when I bought it). I really only have one towing/ camping trip a year planned, about 600 miles round trip. Is it worth buying new tires and trading the rims out for just one trip a year? Thanks for your feedback! And I am wondering if the Touareg is really the right fit for me if it is going to be a maintenance nightmare? Whats the best tow vehicle considering power, performance, maintenance and 2 kids? Thanks!
Big Canyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 03:35 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
If you are really only going to tow 600 miles per year, then I wouldn't worry about wearing out the stock tires.

I think you need to really investigate the "no weight distributing hitch" decision, however. Without that, you put all the weight on the tow vehicle's rear wheels and that can cause a lot of under-steer in emergency situations and if the pavement is wet or otherwise a little slick. Also, the anti sway capability that comes with most modern weight distributing hitches is another safety feature that I would not want to be without.

Vinnie should be able to help you think through your towing setup as well.

Good luck!

Old 08-17-2014, 03:57 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Welcome to the best forum online and congratulations on ownership of the best trailer available! We also have a '69 Overlander--pretty-please can you post pics of interior and exterior? Is it a double-axle? Does it need a lot of work on the interior or is it ready to camp? Love to see those pics and compare with our layout.

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:20 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Wink

Oh, and forgot the subject of your post: the above advice sounds great. Don't worry about towing--I learned to tow and back a loaded horse trailer on-the-job, so to speak. There really isn't much to it that a little practice in a large empty parking lot can't teach you. And at least you don't have to worry about the safety and well-being of 3000 lbs of quadrupeds in the trailer! I learned to back the horse trailer on being totally humiliated at a horse camping event when I had to ask a MAN to back it for me.

Seriously, it isn't rocket science. Just take things slowly.

Best of wishes!

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:40 PM   #15

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
I agree email Vinnie. He is the best man to help you out!

http://www.vinniesairstream.com
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote