Old 09-14-2016, 04:39 PM   #15
Airstreamer In Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwclassic View Post
Yep, you can do exactly as you say, and when you come west when it's hot and go high, then throw in some wind, you may acquire a different point of view. Those rated weights are for nominal conditions when EVERYTHING works as it is supposed to (including how you loaded that trailer). It's the difference between asserting that you didn't exceed the limitations when something happens and avoiding the likelihood of the event altogether. Different mindset.
If I am not exceeding the published rating, I would expect my vehicle to perform and able to handle any incline. Like I said, the ratings exist for a reason.

Do I expect to do 70mph up the Ike Gauntlet? No. But I wouldn't want to either. Whether I have to do higher RPMs or lower MPG, I can do it safely and competently. And that's all I'm after.

Again, as long as I don't exceed the published ratings.

2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 04:48 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwclassic View Post
Yep, you can do exactly as you say, and when you come west when it's hot and go high, then throw in some wind, you may acquire a different point of view. Those rated weights are for nominal conditions when EVERYTHING works as it is supposed to (including how you loaded that trailer). It's the difference between asserting that you didn't exceed the limitations when something happens and avoiding the likelihood of the event altogether. Different mindset.
Correct. Some manufacturers specifically down rate the tow ratings if you travel in mountains (e.g. F150, or Porsche Cayenne).

Also, the 20% rule, as arbitrary as it seems, provides a margin as most vehicles would be not performant at their max capacity.

Finally, the published tow rating is the max tow rating. Usually, not achievable unless you have only a 150# driver in the car, and no other passengers/cargo. You usually would run out of GVWR, rear axle rating, or hitch rating before you even get to max tow ratings.

Old 09-14-2016, 04:51 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Just my opinion, but if you are cutting it so close that considering the tongue weight as not towed weight to get within the towing capacity of your tow vehicle, you are cutting it too close, and you need a tow vehicle with a greater towing capacity.

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."-- Thomas Jefferson
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 04:53 PM   #18
Airstreamer In Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
Correct. Some manufacturers specifically down rate the tow ratings if you travel in mountains (e.g. F150, or Porsche Cayenne).

Also, the 20% rule, as arbitrary as it seems, provides a margin as most vehicles would be not performant at their max capacity.

Finally, the published tow rating is the max tow rating. Usually, not achievable unless you have only a 150# driver in the car, and no other passengers/cargo. You usually would run out of GVWR, rear axle rating, or hitch rating before you even get to max tow ratings.
I'm not understanding your GVWR comment. That's more related to payload, not towing capacity or tow rating.
Old 09-14-2016, 05:10 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post
I'm not understanding your GVWR comment. That's more related to payload, not towing capacity or tow rating.
Say your vehicle has a 10000# tow rating. You will be within GVWR and axle ratings if you tow a 10,000# trailer and you only have a 150# driver and a 150# passenger (I believe thats the J2807 towing standard specification). If you have extra cargo and/or passengers in your vehicle, then you are likely exceeding the GVWR or axle ratings (even though you are within the 10,000# tow rating).
Old 09-14-2016, 05:52 PM   #20
Airstreamer In Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
Say your vehicle has a 10000# tow rating. You will be within GVWR and axle ratings if you tow a 10,000# trailer and you only have a 150# driver and a 150# passenger (I believe thats the J2807 towing standard specification). If you have extra cargo and/or passengers in your vehicle, then you are likely exceeding the GVWR or axle ratings (even though you are within the 10,000# tow rating).
Ok, but in this case the 10,000 tow rating is meaningless. What you are needing to watch is your payload rating. Which is why I didn't understand the comment.
Old 09-14-2016, 05:54 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
The answer is no.