Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-04-2017, 03:18 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I you ask here what people think, for their opinions....you are going to get them.

Even if you don't ask, if you post it you will get feedback.

If you don't want others opinions, thoughts, criticisms, etc.....don't post.

Maggie
Old 01-04-2017, 03:45 PM   #22
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
....and just when you thought the Chevy would win......maybe next time.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 03:54 PM   #23
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
World record for a production car...... +4.3 tons of ballast.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Old 01-04-2017, 03:59 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Queen Creek , Arizona
Now this is safe!

Towing a 5w backwards:
http://www.killsometime.com/videos/1...Doing-It-Wrong

QC TORPEDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 04:03 PM   #25
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Before anyone calls me a VW fan-boy! Let me be straight about something; my boss had a diesel Touareg and it spent more time in the shop getting fixed than on the road. After six years (the last one he didn't even drive it), he sold it for $4,000 Canadian with 253,000 kms on the clock. The most expensive unreliable automotive mistake he has ever made, (his words, not mine); not to mention his wife's TDI blowing a turbo costing $7,000 in just parts to fix.

But the diesel V10 is a beast of a SUV. I'd love to have one, but couldn't afford to keep it.

Cheers
Tony

Old 01-04-2017, 06:02 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be done. Many long years ago Wally Byam towed a brand-new Airstream with a bicycle. There is a picture of it at the factory. I'm guessing that he didn't pull it very far or very fast, but he did pull it. More recently Oldsmobile used an Airstream to help advertise their new front wheel drive car, the Toronado. They hooked up an Airstream to the Toronado using a weight distributing hitch, removed the rear tires, and drove the car and trailer around a bit for the ad. The point was to advertise the front wheel drive, and of course they kept the speed down. I suspect that braking was severely compromised, but they at least made their point.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:24 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
As can be seen from other posts here, the Touareg is more than adequate for the job. The two videos also show how ludicrous the claim often seen on this forum that you need the biggest truck you get your hands on to pull an Airstream. The Touareg is a pricey tow vehicle, but it sure beats a huge, V8 or V10 powered duelly pick-up at an equally expensive price.
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:22 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Hillsborito , Oregon
Talking

We have a tow rig, I meant Touareg TDI pulling our 23D and was hoping to pull a 28 IF we decide to move up. Then again, there are limitations and we're still newbies so we'll stay w/ our current setup and we love it they way it is... Now...only if they bring that V10 back that'd be sweet and just maybe we'll move up to that 25 instead
i2oadRunnei2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:02 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Just returned from a couple of weeks in the Vaterland, spending some time on the various Autobahns. After what I witnessed re very small passenger cars pulling horse and travel trailers I feel no longer qualified to comment on TV capabilities. It was unreal. My main concern (over there as well as here) is not the pulling capacity, but the TV's ability (and mass) to stop the rig. Safe travels in 2017, no matter how you locomote. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:49 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by B00merang View Post
Just returned from a couple of weeks in the Vaterland, spending some time on the various Autobahns. After what I witnessed re very small passenger cars pulling horse and travel trailers I feel no longer qualified to comment on TV capabilities. It was unreal. My main concern (over there as well as here) is not the pulling capacity, but the TV's ability (and mass) to stop the rig. Safe travels in 2017, no matter how you locomote. jon
There's no comparison between driving abilities on the Autoban and in the US. Those combinations would not work here simply because of poor driving habits and aggressive driving.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:39 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by B00merang View Post
European trailers are much lighter than those in North America, designed to be pulled by the smaller and lighter cars over there. They stop well enough with the surge brakes but can be prone to sway, especially if not loaded thoughtfully. I once saw one in the UK flip at about 50mph and it was totally destroyed; just matchwood on the road. The tow vehicle was fine, though, albeit that the driver looked more than a little shocked.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:35 AM   #32
Rivet Master

Mountain View , California
Do not forget about lower speed limits when towing in Europe... also, in relation to ability to stop - any German SUV have more effective brakes than pickups and still SUVs are not regarded as capable of towing American trailers. Any European premium sedan will have very capable brakes as well. These are designed to drive 100-150 mph and to stop quickly.

Every year it is interesting to see many Dutch people towing their trailers with small sedans through Alps going to Italy, France... I understand this is shocking for many Americans.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 07:45 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
It makes me wonder how long the drive train will last on these small sedans towing a trailer?
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:33 PM   #34
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
It makes me wonder how long the drive train will last on these small sedans towing a trailer?
Most small vehicles in Europe are turbo diesels; small Mercs, Bimmers, Opels, Vauxhalls, Fords and even Jaguars are turbo diesel; great torque.

Cheers
Tony

Old 01-08-2017, 08:41 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
IMHO very doable if the hitch set up is well and the vehicle isn't overloaded with humanity and detritus. The Touareg is a pretty solid grounded vehicle with a good VSC system and really big brakes. It would take a lot to unsettle a Touareg, Especially!!!! if it's a V10 diesel version.

Cheers
Tony

For proof......that's a Silverado Duramax turbo diesel 3/4 ton he's pulling, like a dog wagging his tail.

seen videos like that before! 4WD Land Rover v 2WD pick up ... no chance !
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:37 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
Do not forget about lower speed limits when towing in Europe... also, in relation to ability to stop - any German SUV have more effective brakes than pickups and still SUVs are not regarded as capable of towing American trailers. Any European premium sedan will have very capable brakes as well. These are designed to drive 100-150 mph and to stop quickly.

Every year it is interesting to see many Dutch people towing their trailers with small sedans through Alps going to Italy, France... I understand this is shocking for many Americans.
I travel through Europe quite often, England , France Italy .... travel trailers are VERY light compared to US trailers. You never see the huge beasts we have here! They'd go into shock at the site of a 10,000lbs 5th wheels coming at them!
I can stop my truck & trailer by just using the trailer brake, not sure what all the fuss is about over brakes on smaller vehicles ..?
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 04:03 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
Years ago we didn't think you needed a 4WD HD truck to pull a travel trailer. A Chevy or Ford stationwagon worked just fine.
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote