Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-24-2017, 12:34 PM   #21
Cowboy

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Norfolk , Virginia
Newly retired first time AS owner... 2017 25 FC, 2017 F350 diesel ....clearly overkill for some. For my purpose I wanted a heavy duty TV to go from interstate hwy's to backwoods dirt roads and this was my solution. The icing on the cake is the 48 gallon fuel tank along with multiple cameras with one mounted on the trailer that plays through the dash screen. The long bed I purchased has tremendous room for generator, compressor and all the fishing equipment I'll probably ever need, excited to get started.
LoneStar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:34 PM   #22
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
IMO, as long as you aren't using the tow vehicle as a daily driver, it will be fine. Put some load in it, that is what it is for.

If you are using it as a daily driver, two cautions with going bigger. One is the size and manoeuverability. Some don't mind it. I have driven up to F350, and wouldn't want to do it every day. The second, and more important, is the number of short trips you may make. Modern engines run hot, and they like to be warmed up fully. Short trips are hard on them, and cause premature failures. This is even more true for diesels. If you are doing a lot of short running-around trips you may experience reduced engine life, and a series of engine problems that you will never see if you use it primarily for hauling a load, and working as it should work. If you ensure that your trips are longer, and the engine is fully up to temperature, you can avoid these issues.

I do think that there is such a thing as too much truck, as everything is a trade off. If the negatives don't matter to you, go for it. I wouldn't, but that is just me. Enjoy your truck.

Jeff
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:50 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Redmond , Washington
I preferred towing with my 2016 RAM Ecodiesel over my 2017 F-250 Super Duty 95% of the time, the Ecodiesel just didn't have enough payload (883lbs) vs the Super Duty (2098lbs).

The Ecodiesel was a little under powered as well for the 28' Serenity.

That said the Ecodiesel was more driveable and had a far better ride, plus in my opinion a better interior.

Your original question was can you over do it, sure you can. Knowing what I know now I might consider a gas truck either 1/2 or 3/4 ton. My rough guidelines are get 125% of max tow weight and 200% of trailer tongue weight.

So if your trailer weight is 10,000lbs and tongue weight is 1,000lbs your truck max tow should be 12,500lbs and max payload 2,000lbs as a general rule to accommodate gear and such.

Everyone's situation is different so if you are going to tow with an ATV in the bed then that's a consideration in choosing your tow vehicle. And honestly all of the big 3 make a good truck these days, I wouldn't go purely by who's has the most torque or other numbers.
Mgieselman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 01:34 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
I have a Ram 2500 short-bed diesel. When I was shopping for it, I asked the Ram man about the difference between the 2500 & the 3500, and his response was that the only difference was that the 2500 had rear coil springs while the 3500 had leaf springs, resulting in a greater payload and an increased cost of several hundred dollars. The 2500 is noticeably heavier and stiffer and gives a noticeably bumpier ride than my old Ford F150, but it tows my 27FB flawlessly, at around 13-14 mpg at 62-65 mph. I've attached a Class 5 AirSafe to the 2500, which substantially decreases the occasional violent vertical oscillations of the trailer, particularly on unimproved or old roads. (The AirSafe is attached to a Blue Ox Sway Pro.) Thankfully, I'm able to dedicate the 2500 solely to towing the AS & getting supplies from Home Depot; I would not want to use it as a daily driver --- it's just "too much." When I win the lottery, I'll trade-in the 2500 & get what I should have probably gotten in its place, a 3500, which others have told me works best for towing a larger AS.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 01:43 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Things that can never be too big:

Engines.
Anchors.
Bilge-pumps.
Fire Extinguishers.
Certain anatomy of the opposite sex.
Bank accounts.
Inheritances.
Lotto winnings.
Tax refunds.

Not necessarily in that order....
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:29 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alluminati View Post
By getting a 350 instead of a 250, you probably paid more, and got a stiffer ride.

Typically a 350 won't tow more than a 250, but you can load more in the bed.

Actually much to my pleasant surprise you are wrong on all counts, except payload, significantly more. As to pay more, nope same price for me as I've purchased well over 50 vehicles from the same sales person. As to ride, don't notice a difference, BUT, we did 10,000 miles with the F250 and had nine interior rivets pop. Yet with exact same hitch set up on the F350 and 10,000 miles last year not a one, same trailer, same hitch etc.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:47 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
NO. Many vehicles can pull a large trailer on flat ground. Being able to FULLY control and stop that large trailer under adverse conditions is an entirely different matter. I've talked with more than a few owners of large pickup trucks who report having had a "white knuckle" experience after living through sh!t-hit-the-fan episodes. More and more people are realizing the benefit of driving a true Class 7 or 8 HDT (Heavy Duty Trucks) or at least a Class 5 or 6 MDT (Medium Duty Truck). A used (but good condition) HDT can be purchased for less than a new high-end pickup. The length and width of an HDT is no bigger than that of a dually pick up and, the height will be the same or less than the height of your fifth wheel trailer. Fuel econony can actually be better in an HDT vs a big pickup too.

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showforum=32

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showforum=14
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:47 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
St Lawrence , Pennsylvania
My son inherited an Airstream from his great uncle..
I had no tow vehicle and no towing experience.
I bought a DRW F350 diesel because it was the best deal on the lot.
He will never be underpowered.
That machine can stop the AS without the electric brakes.
He can have a rear TV flat and not have to worry about the losing control.
I had buyer remorse for a week after buying it.
Another Ford diesel truck owner told me:
"Listen kid, you can never have too much truck. Many times you will find yourself with not enough truck"
It has served me well for 12 years.
rjmaype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:05 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgentum View Post
I have a Ram 2500 short-bed diesel......... When I win the lottery, I'll trade-in the 2500 & get what I should have probably gotten in its place, a 3500, which others have told me works best for towing a larger AS.
I have a 2500 and tow my 10,000 pound 34' Classic flawlessly and effortlessly. Never towed with a 3500 or a 350.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:07 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelGoddard View Post
ANOTHER "AIRSAFE"???
A 'Goose Neck' hitch on an Airstream???
DO TELL!
Airsafe may make a gooseneck, but I am talking about a bumper pull. Google it!
Old 01-24-2017, 08:34 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
After I bought it I found out it is a full tonne TV and don't even remember how many cylinders it has. The users' manual is about 900 pages and I stopped half way, to be continued.
I'm wondering whether this query is serious. Can any of us imagine doing this? I can't. And one serious correction to Boxite's list...strike the "of the opposite sex".
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 10:46 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
Actually much to my pleasant surprise you are wrong on all counts, except payload, significantly more. As to pay more, nope same price for me as I've purchased well over 50 vehicles from the same sales person.
Max tow capacity on F-350 is LESS than F-250.
Max tow capacity on Ram 3500 is the SAME as 2500
Max tow capacity on Chevy 3500 is only 10% more than 2500.

As I said, typically you gain no towing capacity by moving from 250/2500 to 350/3500. If you did get the Chevy 3500, the gain is marginal at best. The numbers are well above any Airstreams made today, so there is simply no appreciable difference. And no gain at all with Ram or Ford.

I'm guessing you have a very happy sales person. Regardless what he's telling you, the heavier trucks cost more than lighter. I'm sure he's laughing all the way to the bank.
Old 01-25-2017, 12:30 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to Vitaver
Not quite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Things that can never be too big:

Engines.
Anchors.
Bilge-pumps.
Fire Extinguishers.
Certain anatomy of the opposite sex.
Bank accounts.
Inheritances.
Lotto winnings.
Tax refunds.

Not necessarily in that order....
After studying your list over, I can't agree with one item. Too big of a fire extinguisher and I can't lift it. The rest: right on!
Vitaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:33 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Ignorance is bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikextr View Post
There is no "too much" on the tow vehicle if it doesn't also serve as your daily driver. For a few grand more you could have gotten the F450 dually. Now that's a TV! My TV has to be a daily driver so I went the "Goldilocks" route and chose the Porsche Cayenne Turbo S. Luxury, performance, and towing capacity all rolled into 1 nice ride.
I did not know about the dually, which is a good thing because as is, the 350 clears my garage by about an inch on each side. The 450 would have to sleep outside, and that is outright cruelty.
Old 01-25-2017, 12:49 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
So I have a measly Class 3 HDT? Actually, Light, not H(eavy)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY24 View Post
NO. Many vehicles can pull a large trailer on flat ground. Being able to FULLY control and stop that large trailer under adverse conditions is an entirely different matter. I've talked with more than a few owners of large pickup trucks who report having had a "white knuckle" experience after living through sh!t-hit-the-fan episodes. More and more people are realizing the benefit of driving a true Class 7 or 8 HDT (Heavy Duty Trucks) or at least a Class 5 or 6 MDT (Medium Duty Truck). A used (but good condition) HDT can be purchased for less than a new high-end pickup. The length and width of an HDT is no bigger than that of a dually pick up and, the height will be the same or less than the height of your fifth wheel trailer. Fuel econony can actually be better in an HDT vs a big pickup too.

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showforum=32

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showforum=14
Anyone around here tows with a class 5 or higher? I guess some of us dream with the really big rigs that come with an 'apartment' behind the cab which can act as comfortable 'dog house' when wife finds out how much we really pay for our toys. (My worst nightmare is that I die and my wife sells my guns for what I told her I paid for them)
Old 01-25-2017, 12:56 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Seriously? Seriously!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B00merang View Post
After I bought it I found out it is a full tonne TV and don't even remember how many cylinders it has. The users' manual is about 900 pages and I stopped half way, to be continued.
I'm wondering whether this query is serious. Can any of us imagine doing this? I can't. And one serious correction to Boxite's list...strike the "of the opposite sex".
Yes, I just checked and it is 8 cylinders in V. The sedan I traded in for my F350 (no room to store that many cars) is a 12 cylinder in W, the Audi W12 6L which I treasured for 12 years. I sold it without fully mastering all the features it offered. Menus have a lot more items that I can chew, but I still like to go to restaurants. 900 pages is a loot. The last book I read that big is Atlas Shrugged (great book BTW). Not an easy feast for me. Life is just too darn interesting!

I simply skip threads I dont' like. Life is too short for bad threads and cheap wine (or anything else unworthy).
Old 01-25-2017, 03:07 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
F350s are all V8, gas or diesel. It would be on the window sticker.

I drive mine 100 miles a day as a commuter vehicle, almost 7000 miles since buying it. Mostly not towing or hauling. The mileage sucks but fuel is a bargain even at $3.00 a gallon. The handling can be tricky on ice when unloaded but the extra size and weight matter in traffic for safety and visibility.

When I looked at trucks the one ton was an easy choice. I did laugh when the salesman said the half ton was "a good wife's truck" because my wife drives big pickups like an expert, but it worked. She still laughs every time she walks by it in the driveway. It was also kinda funny when I took it to CanAm to have the hitch checked after switching from the Grand Cherokee tow vehicle.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 05:03 AM   #38
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
[QUOTE=Alluminati;1903520]Max tow capacity on F-350 is LESS than F-250.
Max tow capacity on Ram 3500 is the SAME as 2500
Max tow capacity on Chevy 3500 is only 10% more than 2500.

As I said, typically you gain no towing capacity by moving from 250/2500 to 350/3500. If you did get the Chevy 3500, the gain is marginal at best. The numbers are well above any Airstreams made today, so there is simply no appreciable difference. And no gain at all with Ram or Ford.

I'm guessing you have a very happy sales person. Regardless what he's telling you, the heavier trucks cost more than lighter. I'm sure he's laughing all the way to the bank.[/QUOTE Yes but an increase in maximum payload can be gained in most cases going up in numbers. 250 to 350, .
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 07:21 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Richmond , Virginia
I'm only aware of one instance where somebody overdid it with their tow vehicle. They truly could not feel the trailer behind them and when it blew a tire,they dragged it for a couple of miles before somebody flagged them down. Of course this caused quite a lot of damage to the trailer (and the road).

You're nowhere near that oversized,so I wouldn't worry about it - they were towing a small car trailer with a bus sized rv.
bobzdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 07:56 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Airsafe may make a gooseneck, but I am talking about a bumper pull. Google it!
We have used the Airsafe for years, it attaches to the receiver and allows me to adjust the air pressure in the bladder to accommodate road types and my load. Along with the Aisafe we have an Equalizer anti sway WD system and together this hitch system gives us an incredibly smooth ride. The TV is the best ever made, The Ford Excursion with a 7.3.
Attached Images