Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2017, 08:57 AM   #41
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Thank for all the replies. Going to check the setup and check the adjustments. I have a short bed truck and a fairly long drawbar so some overhang. Driving around for a week with the trailer parked has me thinking that maybe the truck steering is partly to blame. A little sloppy compared to the Ford I drive every day. Truck is 10 years old so I will get the steering looked at to see if it can be helped. And I am not used to these upper Midwest winds.

I have seen some of you mention polyurethane bushings and steering stabilizers. Is there anything aftermarket that will help a 10 year old Dodge 2500?
Upgrade steering and box to post-2008 Dodge design or aftermarket on 4WD. Borgeson steering shaft. New PS gearbox. Balljoints (Dynatrac). Start over, in other words. Mines 2WD and didn't need all this.

I would also add frame mount steering box stabilizer.

I went with upsized front antiroll bar (HELWIG) and greaseable polyurethane bushings (Energy Suspension). Maxx Link end links.

Rear had no bar. Installed smallest available from same source. Same bushing source.

Bilstein or KONI shock absorbers. Also for steering stabilizer.

Henderson's Lineup for rear Panhard Rod (rear Trac bar). See SteveH comments.

The trailer is most of it. Hitch design and lash very close.

But dead nuts steering is huge. You'll be shocked at the difference. Especially as I've spent all your money.

Also, shortest shank for hitch. And REESE Titan #45299 hitch receiver (on sale at etrailer)

Do three pass method across Cat Scale to set lash up.

IMO, tires should be Michelin LTX or Bridgestone Duravis.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:01 AM   #42
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I tow with a Ford F-350 4x4 and an Andersen hitch. And I often tow on I-81 amid all the truck traffic. I'd be lying if I said I couldn't feel the trucks as they go by but it's not really a shocking event either. If I see them coming just a bit of tension on the wheel is needed. If I'm asleep at the wheel as they come up I do feel a bit of suction but just enough to wake me up. I'm a happy Anderson user for about 5 years now. But even before that towing with the bar style WD hitches was not dramatic at all

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:18 AM   #43
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Hmmm.... trucks on I-81, I think I've seen a few there ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:43 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Hmmm.... trucks on I-81, I think I've seen a few there ....

Bob
Yeah. We pulled our 23D on I81 on our way back from Lakewood after taking delivery. It was on that trip that I noticed how stable everything is. My TV is stock. Maybe the Tundra electronic stability control makes a difference? I don't know.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:16 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
As previous posters have noted...hitch choices are like tire choices, trailer choices, religion and politics. It's amazing how whatever choice has been already made by that person.... only THAT choice is the best one ...even tho' it's usually the ONLY experience that person has ever had with the matter.

I always find it interesting to read posts in which they say "I don't have that problem because I tow with a Magical-Set-Up XYZ-vehicle and use a ABC WD-hitch and threw away the trailer-tires and use Mitchlin-Mush-Master tires!"...
...and then they go on to explain why a passing truck has a bow wave that pushes the trailer one way and the rear axle goes some other way and....

REALLY? How IS IT that you know so much about these things with your Magical Set-Up?

Does it ever occur to the radial truck-tire crowd that those tires deliberately have soft sidewalls that contribute to sorry trailer-handling...in order to deliver a comfortable RIDE to a passenger vehicle...not a trailer?

....or that WD hitches stiffen-up the trailer to the tow-vehicle so that both will act as ONE UNIT...and so anything affecting the trailer will CERTAINLY affect the tow vehicle? ... or that individual drivers and their personal driving habits are less/more sensitive to towing irregularities depending upon their SPEED, road conditions, tire pressures, and simple "seat-of-the-pants" sensitivities to their vehicles?

Each modification is a COMPROMISE in some manner or other. Towing trailers compromises the tow-vehicle handling characteristics. Changing tire design does the same. So does different hitches.
The ONLY way to know all the different compromises is to experience EACH one...and few of us are going to spend the time and money to run that experiment... after-all, that's why the discussion forums have value, so the reader/participant can gather all the tribal-knowledge and make a better-informed choice.
So I guess my point for the OP is to remember that strongly-worded posts are actually only strongly-held personal OPINIONS that may/may not have any value to the very different TV/Trailer combination YOU may have. Just because a hitch has a high price-tag does not make it "better" than another design for YOUR setup. Keep it simple. Don't arbitrarily toss-out the good engineering practices the mfr's spent lots of money on by shooting-from-the-hip-modifications/alterations.
And SLOW DOWN. It's amazing how only a small increase in towing speeds greatly contribute to adverse handing.... and THAT is TRUE regardless of which equipment you choose.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:44 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
SLOW DOWN! Strongly agree.

Stability increases AND your chance to proactively avoid problems improves too. Plus that extra second to react correctly when the fertilizer impacts the ventilator can be priceless!

Idiot ran a RED right in front of me this morning. Luckily I wasn't towing, but I did a nosedive stop about a foot before hitting him.. while the small car on my left smacked him hard. The offending driver was drinking MacDonalds coffee (which I somehow saw before the crunch). I always seem to have a couple of bottles of water on my truck.. so I poured what I had on his lap. Didn't get a thank you... didn't really expect one considering that he'd also left off his seatbelt. Anyhow there was a camera at the intersection so it's unlikely I'll have to testify. SAME insurance company for both vehicles too.

Who said retirement would be dull?
Old 07-29-2017, 10:08 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
SLOW DOWN! Strongly agree.

Stability increases AND your chance to proactively avoid problems improves too. Plus that extra second to react correctly when the fertilizer impacts the ventilator can be priceless!

Idiot ran a RED right in front of me this morning. Luckily I wasn't towing, but I did a nosedive stop about a foot before hitting him.. while the small car on my left smacked him hard. The offending driver was drinking MacDonalds coffee (which I somehow saw before the crunch). I always seem to have a couple of bottles of water on my truck.. so I poured what I had on his lap. Didn't get a thank you... didn't really expect one considering that he'd also left off his seatbelt. Anyhow there was a camera at the intersection so it's unlikely I'll have to testify. SAME insurance company for both vehicles too.

Who said retirement would be dull?
SAME insurance company ...increases the likelihood that the vehicle to your left will be blamed by the ins. co. unless a citation is issued to the red-light-violator. (I was rear-ended by a texting driver in a Class A. The cop was not an accident investigator so either did not/could not issue a citation based upon the evidence found at the scene (she rear ended me)...so our common insurance company (State Farm) blamed ME for stopping for a puppy in the roadway a FULL HALF MILE before the Class A arrived. Why? Because if it was HER fault the ins. co. would be on the hook for all my damages and any injury (I awoke in the back of my Cherokee covered in glass with neck injury.)
If it were MY fault.... all the ins. co was on the hook for was my $5K medical coverage. (It also meant I'd have to pay a $1K deductible.)
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 10:18 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Isn't life fun.

I was parked in a parking lot parallel to the road way. A truck came into the lot and took the front bumper of my car of with the rear fender well of his truck. The insurance company said I hit him because the damage was to his rear and my front not even considering the nature of the torn metal on both vehicles as evidence.

Foiled Again if you have address of the driver to your left you might be very helpful to them.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 02:01 PM   #49
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Alexandria Alexandria , Virginia
Forgive me if I come across defensive - surely don't intend to ... and I'm certainly not looking to incite any conflict. I'm one of the guys with a ProPride and I don't feel the bow wave or sucking or swaying or anything else.

I'm wondering if maybe it's due to the fact that I have "E" Load-Rated tires on my 3500. I'll be towing on the highway again later this week and I'll be sure to watch/feel for it.

FWIW, I don't need to "defend" my purchase at all. I've made plenty of buying mistakes and I'm quite comfortable sharing my positive and negative experiences. For me, the ProPride has been a very, very positive experience. I have no regrets about my purchase and I'd encourage you to try one yourself.

Now ... regarding my RAM 3500, I'm pretty sure that it's under-braked, but that's a story for a different thread. The dealer told me it's normal for hydraulic brakes. I need to start doing some research about this because I'm not comfortable with my stopping power.
Save
AIRHEDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 02:30 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRHEDS View Post
. . . I'm one of the guys with a ProPride and I don't feel the bow wave or sucking or swaying or anything else.

I'm wondering if maybe it's due to the fact that I have "E" Load-Rated tires on my 3500. I'll be towing on the highway again later this week and I'll be sure to watch/feel for it.

FWIW, I don't need to "defend" my purchase at all. I've made plenty of buying mistakes and I'm quite comfortable sharing my positive and negative experiences. For me, the ProPride has been a very, very positive experience. I have no regrets about my purchase and I'd encourage you to try one yourself.
We have used a ProPride on our Ram 1500/25' Airstream for many years. I have not felt any bow wave or sucking or swaying or anything else either. The truck tires play a role no matter the hitch. In the ProPride/Hensley design trailer sway is projected forward to the truck's rear axle, where it is stabilized. No sway force transferred to the steering axle. But if the truck's rear axle tires and suspension do not have enough lateral stiffness, it is quite possible to feel some movement at this location.

Our truck has the stock tire size and are not LT tires. They are 60 series 20" tires which have good lateral stiffness because of their low profile. The suspension is coil springs with a stabilizing bar between them attached to the axle and frame. According to the manufacturer this also provides a little more lateral stability than leaf springs, and benefits the ProPride /Hensley design.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 02:30 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
We don't need no stinking sway control

Here is testimony for sway control.

You will not that there was no truck passing the camper, no noticeable wind condition, no tire parts flying off, and he never touched his trailer brakes.

I can't imagine how that hitch stayed connected unless the shank turned completely in the receiver or the ball failed before the final roll and the chains held.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 02:31 PM   #52
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Forgive me if I come across defensive - surely don't intend to ... and I'm certainly not looking to incite any conflict. I'm one of the guys with a ProPride and I don't feel the bow wave or sucking or swaying or anything else.

Now ... regarding my RAM 3500, I'm pretty sure that it's under-braked, but that's a story for a different thread. The dealer told me it's normal for hydraulic brakes. I need to start doing some research about this because I'm not comfortable with my stopping power.
It's the trailer brakes. Need disc. Antilock.

In the meantime, TV tire pressure to load. Measured.
And some LT-E tires better than others for braking.

FWIW, I now have 215k on my Dodge. Just got second set of replacement tires. I might or might not rotate them at 20-25k intervals. (My driving is about 50/50 city/country).

One brake re-line at 120k because, why not? Original clutch. Etc.

Heavy as these are one does NOT "keep up with traffic", even solo.

My combined rig stays between 17-18K. I've not felt the need for better brakes (except on trailer). I didn't feel it too often in oilfield either with a 23,000-lb trailer on a different one ton Dodge.

Caliper drag is a possibility and worth checking.

And couldn't agree more about having a VPP hitch (to directly answer OPs Q).

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 02:45 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I suspect the trailer was on the chains in short order. Had to shear the ball or unlock the socket. Scary nonetheless. It's the nightmare scenario save one. At least tow vehicle did not roll. I'm sure the occupants had a 'laundry problem'.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 02:45 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:

Nothing to be defensive about at all! I use the PP as well and I don't feel defensive about feeling a gentle push on the whole rig from a bow wave [emoji3]

Mine's a 3/4T with 20" E rated Michelins. Like I said - it doesn't sway me or suck me in to the 18-wheeler - but I do notice a gentle nudge.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 02:49 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post

You will not that there was no truck passing the camper, no noticeable wind condition, no tire parts flying off, and he never touched his trailer brakes.

I can't imagine how that hitch stayed connected unless the shank turned completely in the receiver.

Gotta say - I've seen that video a ton of times. Do you think the hitch broke at some point and the chains maybe kept it connected? Can't imagine the force involved though maybe some engineers here have already drafted it out on a napkin somewhere!

And - I am WICKED peeved (grew up in Massachusetts if you can't tell) that the guy videoing the thing was doing it from his phone WHILE DRIVING HIMSELF!!!! That's no dash cam - that's a driver holding up a phone to record something while in motion.

Argh! I hate that!!! [emoji35]

Back to our topic....

No sway control hitch can overcome bad driving habits (like holding a camera to film an accident waiting to happen in front of you...
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 05:50 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:

Actually that's a testimony for loading the trailer properly and adjusting the WD properly.

That rig was inherently unstable. Notice how the small oscillations got larger and larger til it wrecked. Too much weight in the rear of the trailer and/or being "overhitched" -- WD transferring too much weight to the front wheels will cause such a condition. The slightest wrong steering input could have sent that baby into oscillation.

"Sway control" really helps dampen out the wiggles that result from a passing truck.

Gadgets aren't a substitute for proper towing setup.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:01 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
....having said that, my curiosity got the better of me and I researched the Pro Pride hitch and have to say it's ingenious. This is something I would really consider if I was having problems with the trailer wiggling around with passing trucks, etc.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:14 PM   #58
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Alexandria Alexandria , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
It's the trailer brakes. Need disc. Antilock.
Slowmover, I feel like the truck is under-braked without the trailer connected, let alone with it. Obviously, it's much worse with the trailer on the truck ...

I kept the tires aired per the specs (80 in the rear and 65 up front), but dropping to 75 in the rear helped the ride and didn't change the braking at all... Still sucks.
Save
AIRHEDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:58 AM   #59
Rivet Polisher

1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Pleasant , North Carolina
Quote:

I can't imagine how that hitch stayed connected unless the shank turned completely in the receiver or the ball failed before the final roll and the chains held.
Does anyone find it interesting that the driver BEHIND the camper is hand filming it? Maybe it was intentional?
wildhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:37 AM   #60
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhorses View Post
Does anyone find it interesting that the driver BEHIND the camper is hand filming it? Maybe it was intentional?
Hi

There *is* a thread that digs into this ....

I know, it's so much more fun to go over it again !!!

The guy in the car behind just happened to notice a problem and started filming. Nobody flips a trailer like that on the Garden State Parkway for fun. The only claim reported is that a tire blowout on the rig was the issue. So far I've had a really hard time spotting any tire damage prior to the point the trailer rolls over.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote