Old 10-18-2012, 04:38 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Lilburn , Georgia
We tow a 2005 25' CCD with a Jeep Commander that has a 5.7 liter Hemi V8. It is just OK. Without racing the engine even a moderate incline will slow us down to 45 or 50 MPH from 60. But we don't feel that we are stressing the car, just go slow and take it easy

Old 10-19-2012, 05:07 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
2000 Tundra 4.7L engine

I have a friend who towed a 23 or 25 foot Arctic Fox with a 2000 Tundra which is about the size of a Tacoma. When his black and grey water tanks were needing to be dumped, the front end would "lighten" up on asphalt roads with dips at highway speeds. He could pull the trailer, but had to be careful. It was like a mild "wheelie" at a drag strip feeling...

The 2006 Tundra double cab with the 4.7L will pull a 23 foot trailer well with no difficulty. The 2008 5.7L double cab will pull a 23 footer with power to spare, up a mountain and braking down a mountain. I would opt for the larger braking power and the V6 would get lousy gas mileage and not do well in a head wind.

Would I want to tow a 25 foot AS with a Tacoma V6.... never. The suggestion to go with a heavier truck is wise advice. I would also insist on 4 wheel drive if you plan to get off the asphalt road. A rear drive Tacoma will dig one deep hole in the gravel going up an incline and put you in a tough spot, indeed.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:32 AM   #17
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Similar situation here. I have a 2011 Tacoma and just bought a 25' Flying Cloud. I really don't want to give up the Taco for everyday driving so I am going to see how it pulls the Cloud for a few months and see how it goes.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:48 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Hey y'all! Let's push the limits of possibility a little bit. A man could pull his 30' Classic with a 1971 Volkswagen Beetle if he had an equalizer hitch and an electric brake controller!
Old 03-07-2013, 09:29 AM   #19
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Hey y'all! Let's push the limits of possibility a little bit. A man could pull his 30' Classic with a 1971 Volkswagen Beetle if he had an equalizer hitch and an electric brake controller!
Pull it or move it, yes.

Safely NO.

Andy
Old 03-07-2013, 12:50 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
My 2¢: We tow a 2006 19' Safari SE with a 2007 Tacoma Double Cab with a tow package. We are fine with this combination, but if we were towing a 25' I'd definitely want a bigger truck.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:55 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Puyallup , Washington
I just picked up our first airstream 19 in Portland last weekend, I drive a 2012 1500 silverado crew cab 4x4 with HD towing package rated at 9500 lbs. I would not tow with anything smaller, if I had decided on the 23 ft we looked at I probably would have gotten a 2500 TV
Old 03-16-2013, 12:10 AM   #22
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
A bit of a stretch but I plan on pulling my 25' Cloud with a 2011 Taco. I will keep you posted. I have a friend who pulls his 25 Airstream with a Taco and he says he has had no problems. Plan on using 4th gear in the hills with the automatic. I just can't part with my Taco for everyday driving. The Fords are just too big. You have to be 6'5" just to reach into the bed. If worse comes to worse I will upgrade to a Tundra but not before really giving it a good road test.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:24 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Puyallup , Washington
follow the thread with a guy wanting to tow a 25 with a Hyundai Santa Fe
Old 03-19-2013, 04:29 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1978 25' Tradewind
NEW LENOX , Illinois
I pull a '78 25 ft. Tradewind with a 2006 Tacoma Crew Cab factory tow package. I did add the factory fourth leaf spring. The Tradewind has new disc brakes. Old version Reese dual cam WD.

It does fine in the mid-west. No problems, no worries. All the weights are at or under specs.

I am going to Banff this summer for two weeks. I am wondering if the Taco will be up to the Rockies. It will probably be slow going up the grades but i got the time. Disc brakes all around will be okay for the going down part.

I can't justify buying a new TV when I only go out west once every few years.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:30 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by srpuywa View Post
follow the thread with a guy wanting to tow a 25 with a Hyundai Santa Fe
That won't help a lot because the latest Santa Fe has a more stable suspension than any pickup. You'll pass him going up hills, but watch for him going by you at the next gas stop. Especially when not towing, which is most of the time for most people.

There are many alternatives to pickup trucks for towing Airstreams, especially if set up by someone who knows what they are doing. Many on the forums do it every day, and many handle and brake better than any pickup could hope for.

doug k
Old 03-29-2013, 02:19 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhh View Post

I am going to Banff this summer for two weeks. I am wondering if the Taco will be up to the Rockies. It will probably be slow going up the grades but i got the time. Disc brakes all around will be okay for the going down part.

I can't justify buying a new TV when I only go out west once every few years.
Your altitude gain to Calgary will be gradual. West of Calgary to Banff is not terribly steep if I recall correctly—certainly not like going west of Denver into the mountains. Good 4 lane highway.

You can check the altitudes along the way on Google Earth.

Gene
Old 05-25-2013, 06:46 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
2005 30' Classic
1993 33' Land Yacht
Wellfleet , Massachusetts
For what it's worth I have a 30 foot Classic and tow it with a 09 Dodge diesel It has the power but I have always been concearned about sway until one day I stopped at a rest area and pulled up to another Air Stream . It was a nice Air Stream but a little older and bigger (34 foot ) than ours . It was being towed by a Buick Enclave . It has a anti sway hitch and 3 axles . He had been to Alaska . As long as you keep the brakes adjusted and have the Trailer & Tow vehicle level It should do it May be a bit sluggish in the mountains but you'll get there
Old 05-25-2013, 08:35 PM   #28
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

As to your question, your Tacoma could probably tow a 2005 25 CCD. Would it be a pleasant experience? Possibly not. The Tacoma may well outmatched by a late model 25 foot Airstream. I don't know where you are getting your weight figures. We have a 2005 Safari 25 FB that weighs 7,400# ready to go camping.

Brian
Moose is right about "Would it be a pleasant experience" Possibly not". Here's my experience which some of the old timers might remember. In 2005 I bought a Dodge Dakota P/u with the "tow pkg". It had the power, handled great (on flat surfaces/downhill.
When I bought the 25 ft Safari I questioned the AS dealer if my truck could handle the AS. He points down to my "V8" tag on the truck and says "sure it will" But when I loaded up the bed of my truck along with the Safari 25 LS, I found out the hard way that it was just a little too much with the truck "loaded up".

Going up hill I would sweat the load because the temp gauge would go all the way to the red. Then it happen..... I took the trip to Lake Tahoe and Yosemite in July 2007. Going up HWY 80 to Tahoe, I barely made it into Lake Tahoe. If that wasn't enough, When I left Lake Tahoe and started to Yosemite on HWY 49, the truck started to heat up. If you've ever been to Yosemite, It's a bit of a climb. With the traffic, the truck was unable to gain the necessary speed to keep the engine cool. Thank goodness there was a gas station half way up where I was able to pull in. Waited about 1/2 hour and continued my "quest" to reach the top.

As I got to the top the engine was overheating and started to shut itself down. When I finally got to the top, the engine turned itself off. Lucky me that I had just enough roll to pull to the side of the road as the engine shut itself down.

Make a long story short, I ended up with a cracked engine head, expanded exhaust pipe (got too hot) and the good news is that It was still under warranty! (I had 35,646 miles).

So, was my trip a "pleasant experience" ? NO! That same week I went and ordered the Dodge 2500 Diesel I now have.

Then again, Toyota's can tow a Space Shuttle!

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth.

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote