Old 04-28-2018, 03:54 PM   #15
WBCCI # 23456

2000 30' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
That hitch would give you a very rough ride. That said, it's a good price and whatever the hitch, you can purchase spring bars with lighter capacity, giving you WD as well as a smoother ride. My $0.02.

jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 05:55 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Read Gecko's comment carefully and first. He hit the nail on the head.

Before any discussion about the merits of any particular detail of the hitch setup, the basics need to be addressed. The first step in setting up a trailer to minimize the chance of sway is getting the tongue weight in the sweet spot of 10-15% of the trailer's gross weight.

There are lots of folks on the Fourm who understand the specifics of your trailer as Airstream built it and who have successfully set up and towed them. They might comment on typical weights and balances of that trailer as built, but I would start by getting accurate, current weights (total and tongue, at least) of your trailer as it is now. I would be surprised if Airstream delivered a trailer that has less than 10% of its weight on the tongue, even when empty of water and propane. Recent vintages can struggle to stay under 15% fully loaded. Until the tongue weight is in the 10-15% range there's no point in discussing fine points of hitch setup.

GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 11:28 AM   #17
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by janerivinius View Post
Hello, I'm in the market for a hitch.

I have a 2001 Excella 31 Hitch weight 690# - Tow weight 8300#
Drive a 2016 Tundra double cab, tow package 5.7 - tow capacity approx 10,000 #

On Craiglist I see a Reese WD equalizer hitch rated for 17,000 lbs - hitch weight 1,100# and up - price $200 - new in box.

Are there negative implications to going "too big"? I realize it is more than I need, just wondering

I'd appreciate any input - I'm a newbie.
Your trailer wasn’t cheap.

Your tow vehicle wasn’t cheap.

But “hitch rigging” is the final third of a successful, stable rig. One Third of the equation. It isn’t minor.

A Hensley-patent hitch (Hensley brand or Pro Pride) is cheap for what it does. Makes all the older types obsolete.

Other than trailer disc brakes nothing else will make as much of a difference. As the pickup is the weak link for stability, the best hitch will help considerably.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote