Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2016, 10:31 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Pineola , North Carolina
As I posted earlier on this thread the Class IV Airsafe made s HUGE difference on the smoothness of our rig. Much more comfortable in the cab of our truck and much less movement of stuff in our 16 Sport Bambi. It just makes common sense that this is less stress on the trailer components. Since we do not need WD with our rig I can only speak about use of the air safe alone. I would not tow what we have now without it.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:00 AM   #42
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Is Addition of Air Safe Hitch Substantially Worthwhile?

Work the Steer Axke weight, first. 100% FALR, as a start. Then, more. Then, less.

TV tire pressure is what needs attention most with these changes.

I might see 20 AS trailers on the road for every one that has covered the most basic hitch requirement, that of a level trailer.

Plenty of meat on that bone.

Use a scale, get it right (see Andrew Thomsons Hitch Hint articles) and then

Maybe

An Air Safe is worth considering.

With a 9k Dodge CTD and a trailer at 9k with TW of 1,100-lbs, I can't find evidence of harshness.

Work the hitch settings. And TV tire pressure.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 03:21 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

I bought my Class V AirSafe back in 2006. I had been reading on these forums the problems related to using heavily sprung pickup trucks like my F250 diesel to tow Airstreams. Namely, the heavy trucks were said to be complicit in overworking and shocking Airstreams' frames and superstructures to the point of damage. Posts especially by Andy were quite compelling to read. He said the Airstreams were better suited for being pulled by soft-sprung sedans rather than heavy pickups.

Because I seemed to be suffering from this problem, with popped rivets, cabinet doors swung open, the interior often found in a flux and even some torn/cracked aluminum panels in a couple of spots, I bought the AirSafe. Since the day I put it on, all these "shaken trailer" symptoms have disappeared.

I've used this AirSafe from coast-to-coast for the past 10 years. As the state of our nation's roads have deteriorated during those years, the value of the AirSafe has increased. It is an investment I'm happy I made back then. It's still paying me dividends every time I take the rig out on our crumbling infrastructure.

As the saying goes, I won't leave home without it.
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:28 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Medway , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstreamer67 View Post
I bought my Class V AirSafe back in 2006. I had been reading on these forums the problems related to using heavily sprung pickup trucks like my F250 diesel to tow Airstreams. Namely, the heavy trucks were said to be complicit in overworking and shocking Airstreams' frames and superstructures to the point of damage. Posts especially by Andy were quite compelling to read. He said the Airstreams were better suited for being pulled by soft-sprung sedans rather than heavy pickups.

Because I seemed to be suffering from this problem, with popped rivets, cabinet doors swung open, the interior often found in a flux and even some torn/cracked aluminum panels in a couple of spots, I bought the AirSafe. Since the day I put it on, all these "shaken trailer" symptoms have disappeared.

I've used this AirSafe from coast-to-coast for the past 10 years. As the state of our nation's roads have deteriorated during those years, the value of the AirSafe has increased. It is an investment I'm happy I made back then. It's still paying me dividends every time I take the rig out on our crumbling infrastructure.

As the saying goes, I won't leave home without it.
I can see the value of the AirSafe but do not see how you accomplish either weight distribution or sway control with it. Do you ignore these aspects? I will pick up a 2018 33' Classic in the spring with out new F250 diesel with full tow packages, etc and am trying to determine what would be the best system to connect the two. Thanks. M
MAHofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:02 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
MAHofer wrote: "I can see the value of the AirSafe but do not see how you accomplish either weight distribution or sway control with it."

Short answer: You don't get either weight distribution or sway control with an AirSafe --- it's only function is as a vertical shock absorber.

To get weight control and sway control, you must add that to the system. With my AirSafe, I added my old Blue Ox system to provide both.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote