billings , Montana
Been using a reese since middle 1970's , works fine save your monies

Old 02-08-2016, 10:29 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Ride in the trailer being towed down a rough road. That is your measuring stick.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:03 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
We tow a 28ft International with a 2015 F350 and a Equilizer 4 way WD hitch..I have used a Airstafe hitch for 4 years and put on at least 10k per year towing.I will not pull without it.The truck rides much better with no jerk backs.The trailer moves independent from the tow vehicle and rides smooth even with the WD.

I looks like the poor advise you are receiving is coming from people who have never used a Airsafe hitch which is par for the course on this forum.......
Old 02-08-2016, 12:08 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Monroe , Washington
With no suspension at the hitch, all the suspension is happening at the truck and trailer at the same time.
When the truck goes over the bump, it will transfer to the trailer.
When the trailer goes over the bump, it will transfer to the truck.
Can be more of a problem when the truck wants to go up, and the trailer wants to go down.

A suspension hitch will isolate some of the transfer. It is analogous to an independent suspension that you see on different sides of a vehicle. So why not have independent suspension fore/aft?

The genyhitch.com torsion hitch is another alternative. Though I'm not a big fan of rubber torsion, since rubber cracks like I've witnessed on my Subaru suspension.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:10 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
We tow a 28ft International with a 2015 F350 and a Equilizer 4 way WD hitch..I have used a Airstafe hitch for 4 years and put on at least 10k per year towing.I will not pull without it.The truck rides much better with no jerk backs.The trailer moves independent from the tow vehicle and rides smooth even with the WD.

I looks like the poor advise you are receiving is coming from people who have never used a Airsafe hitch which is par for the course on this forum.......
This thread piqued my interest because we have not made a final decision about our WD/sway control solution. I looked at the Airsafe video and I came away a bit confused. I saw on the video that there was much less transfer on movement from the TV to the trailer, but doesn't this defeat the purpose of the WD system? In the video they said, "The connection to the trailer is separated from the connection to the tow vehicle..." I am not clear on how you can achieve weight distribution to the front of the TV if it has been separated from the trailer. Moflash, I am not trying to be inflammatory, I am just trying to understand how this system works and I thought that since you have used the device you might have more real world information. Is it more appropriate for vehicles with really stiff suspensions such as a 3/4 or 1 tons, and not really applicable to my 1/2 ton with a softer suspension?

Thanks!
Old 02-08-2016, 09:21 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Camper View Post
doesn't this defeat the purpose of the WD system? !
No it doesn't. As the airbag in the Airsafe moves. The torsion bars in the WD hitch flex.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:39 PM   #21

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Is Addition of Air Safe Hitch Substantially Worthwhile?

We picked up a lightly used AirSafe hitch of off eBay last fall and it makes a huge difference in the ride. We also picked the WD adapter bar new on eBay for $20 + shipping.

When you ad WD you are required to derate the hitch capacity by 25%, so buy more capacity than you need.

We'll never tow without it. A very well built unit.

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:32 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Monroe , Washington
The WD is a good question... Doesn't the WD transfer the weight forward of the hitch?

If you are going off road or have poorly maintain road, I can see the airbag or torsion hitch having value.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:09 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakyjake View Post
The WD is a good question... Doesn't the WD transfer the weight forward of the hitch?

If you are going off road or have poorly maintain road, I can see the airbag or torsion hitch having value.
1. Yes, it transfers tongue weight from the tv rear wheels to the tv front wheels. You also need the wd hitch to level the tv/ trailer combo for proper towing. That is what is meant by "weight distribution".

2.Yes, the rougher the road the more useful the Airsafe, but, there is road shock transmitted to the trailer from the TV on any road.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:20 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakyjake View Post

The genyhitch.com torsion hitch is another alternative.
I looked at the Gen-Y Hitch. From what I can tell it does not have any shock absorbing function. Am I missing something?
Old 02-09-2016, 11:25 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Francisco , Indiana
Airsafe

I really like my Airsafe cushion hitch. Eliminates the shock or bounce from the rear off the truck being transferred to the hitch of the trailer.
Tow with a 2011 Ram 2500, towing a 30ft. Classic with a slide.
Things don't move around in the trailer.
Hickory
Old 02-09-2016, 11:44 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I too enjoy the ride with an AirSafe. I have pulled Airstreams for the past 29 years. I purchased an AirSafe hitch about 5 years ago and will never go back to just a regular hitch again. It really makes a big difference in the ride in the TV as well as the trailer.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:59 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Monroe , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
I looked at the Gen-Y Hitch. From what I can tell it does not have any shock absorbing function. Am I missing something?
My guesses...
That's what the torsion does. The "shock" is when the trailer hitch and the vehicle hitch have opposite forces/movement. The torsion allows independence and dampers the movement. The air hitch sounds like it just dampers the shock, but doesn't allow independence (which means you would have more shock to damper). It would seem to me the key difference is the independence.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:48 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I did not see the torsion hitch you are talking about at first. Looks like it does exactly the same think as the Air-safe.