Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-24-2012, 02:20 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Fort Collins , Colorado
Introduction and Q...

Hi,

I am a newbie on the forums and I am hoping to be a new Airstream owner, possibly as soon as this weekend. I have been looking at Airstreams in the 18'-22' range for several years and have finally decided to take the plunge. I have been camping in my 97' 8 1/2 foot Alaskan truck bed camper for 13 years now and while I really like the camper, packing up and putting it down every day so that I can use the truck to get around is getting old. I sometimes flat tow my jeep behind it but that is also a hassle unless I am going someplace like Moab where that is the whole point of the trip.

On to my question... I have a 99' F-250 8' bed w/extended cab, 5-spd manual transmission and the V10 engine. For towing a 18'-22' ~4000 lb. gross, ~500 lb. tongue weight camper will I need an anti-sway and/or weight distributing hitch? If the answer is yes then would something more like a friction system do the job on this lighter weight setup rather then the expensive and complicated Hensley or ProPride setups?

Any insight would be apprecciated!

-Scott
Jinkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:02 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

As to your question, I would highly recommend a quality weight distribution/sway control hitch system. I would take a look at the Reese and the Equalizer. Both are quality systems, and cost about a third of the price of a Hensley or ProPride.

Are you going to continue carrying the Alaskan while towing the Airstream? We carry an Outfitter truck camper while towing our 25' Airstream.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:13 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Fort Collins , Colorado
Thanks for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
Are you going to continue carrying the Alaskan while towing the Airstream? We carry an Outfitter truck camper while towing our 25' Airstream.

Brian
As for the Alaskan I don't really have any reason to haul both around. For now I plan on keeping the Alaskan for those times when I want to take the Jeep with me or for back woods hunting trips where a trailer wont go.

-Scott
Old 05-24-2012, 08:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Jinkers, you know there are all kinds of opinions here. My advise is to try towing with the minamalist setup for your set up, then decide for yourself. I do not use the ultimate tow devices and have no problems. We just got back from a trip which we went from 4,600' to above 10,000' with winds from 30-50 mph. I'm usually passing the bigger rigs.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:31 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Fort Collins , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
Jinkers, you know there are all kinds of opinions here. My advise is to try towing with the minamalist setup for your set up, then decide for yourself. I do not use the ultimate tow devices and have no problems. We just got back from a trip which we went from 4,600' to above 10,000' with winds from 30-50 mph. I'm usually passing the bigger rigs.
If all is as advertised I will be doing the "minimalist setup" tomorrow in 25-35 mph winds. Should be a good test to see how it feels in wind and whether or not I think I'm going to need to add something.

Slow and steady...

Thanks,

Scott
Old 05-25-2012, 09:44 PM   #6
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Welcome to the Airforums Jinkers... make sure to post some pictures of your new rig!

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:59 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Good luck! I think that your tag line "slow and steady" says most of what a person needs to know about towing.

I tow with a 3/4 ton pickup, and the trailer is 6,300 lb GVW and about 650# tongue weight, depending upon how it's loaded. Do I NEED weight distribution and anti-sway? Can't answer that, 'cause I 've never towed that way ... all I can tell you is that it adds a measure of stability (not to be scoffed at) and confidence. And I can load more "stuff" in the bed of the pickup without having the rear end go down far enough that my headlights get annoying to oncoming drivers.

But in any event, "slow and steady" will usually get one to one's destination!
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:55 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Fort Collins , Colorado
Well, all was as advertised and I am now the proud owner of a 95% original 1968 Globe Trotter in pristine condition

After 300 miles in steady 25-30 gusting to 45-50 mph winds (so says the weather man) I am happy to report that it tows like a dream. I kept the speeds to 60-65 tops and I hardly noticed the wind any more then I would driving just the truck. Being passed by 18 wheelers didn't cause any undue issues either.

I didn't really have time to take pictures today but will post some later. But it is amazing how clean and original this thing is. It even has the original Canvas cot over the couch, TV aerial, heater, fridge, electrical panel, even the original folding camp chairs - and they ALL work. Near as I can tell the larger propane bottles, new AC unit, new flooring and aluminum wheels are the only non original items.

I did learn some things today about Airstreams in general...
1) plan for long stops at the filling station because several people will want to talk about it.
2) The original electrical connector for towing is a bad thing. Took a few hours to rig something up so I could get on the road. If anyone has a tow vehicle side connector or knows where I can get one please let me know.
3) Something I should have known... an all metal body makes a wonderful Faraday cage effectively reducing all but the strongest cell and WiFi signals to un-useable. So here I sit at the picnic table in the wind LOL!

-Scott
Old 05-26-2012, 09:23 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Sounds like you found a real gem -- Congratulations!

Can't wait to see photos...
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:14 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Fort Collins , Colorado
Talking Photos: 1968 Globe Trotter

As promises, here are some photo's I took this morning at the KOA in Raton NM...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rig.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	159467   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front_Quartering.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	220.1 KB
ID:	159468  

Name:	Rear_Quartering.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	225.1 KB
ID:	159469   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cot.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	159470  

Name:	Forward.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	159471   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	159472  

Old 05-27-2012, 08:58 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
Olathe , Kansas
Wow! That's beautiful! Congratulations and welcome!

Ken
Old 05-27-2012, 11:54 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Wow, that is a beautiful Airstream. Congratulations and welcome to the forums.

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote