Old 08-18-2016, 01:33 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
Last month I readjusted our hitch from the ground up. We just bought our trailer from a private party who didnít know much about the physics of WD, but that was a whole lot more than I knew. We set it up the way he thought it should go, and thatís how we drove it for a while. I didnít know any better. Stopped at the CAT scales three weeks later, and realized our spring bars were way too light. So I muscled them up a notch for a huge improvement in handling. But then the bars were not level.

After we got home I took the whole thing apart. For our needs, we raised the ball two inches, and tilted it way out, adding four washers. Now the front fender is exactly the same height when unloaded, and the rear is down 1Ē.

So now Iíve towed with three settings. First with too much weight on the back axle, and too light in the front. The TV felt ďfloatyĒ. Second with radically improved weight. The steering was greatly improved, but the hitch was still maladjusted. Truck felt entirely under control. Very capable ride. Entirely satisfied even though we knew it wasnít ideal. Third, with the hitch spot on. Wow what a difference! Now the truck and trailer feel like a single unit. The truck had felt like it was competently carrying the trailer, but now itís not carrying at all. The engine is doing all the work.

You can competently tow in below ideal conditions. At least it can feel competent, but you may not know how much steering and brake control youíve lost.

But when everything is right, the difference is remarkable.

(Is there no respect for an 8-ton GCVWR truck? *sniff* )
Alluminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 05:04 AM   #16
Tao
3 Rivet Member

2013 19' International
Currently Looking...
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
Mr. Mogan, Question

Thanks for your post. I installed the ProPride with 1,000 pound bars.
I've adjusting but just does not feel right to me. Goes from Porpose to rigid and harsh. Nothing in truck bed and tailer loaded VERY light as I travel alone, and with a smile these days!

I'd like to know, are you using the ProPride?
A shot of how you have rigged your "stinger"?
How many inches rise on the "jacks"?

Getting ready for a 10 day trip to Maine and I want it to tow better than it does at the moment.

Suggestions are welcome!

Jack

Old 08-18-2016, 08:59 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
Iím still too much of a newbie to instruct others, but I am happy to share my experience.

Iím pulling a 34í 1989 Avion GVWR 9995, hitch weight 850.
TV is 2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L (401 ft lb torque ) with towing capacity 10K.
CAT scales says trailer axle weight 8600 fully loaded.

No idea how old my hitch is. It has no discernable brand markings. Itís a class IV with round spring bars. I donít have any pics of my hitch, and the trailer is parked a half hour from here. Iíll try to remember to take a few shots next time weíre out. How many inches rise on the jacks? Not sure I know what youíre asking, but I think the answer is 2.

The chains on the spring bars are welded on and showing some wear. I hitched up and took it to a local RV dealer for advice. He didnít have what I needed, but it was nice to have a pair of experienced eyes to look over my setup. He set some of my fears to rest, but raised a couple other issues. Most were addressed when I reassembled the hitch.

The dealer said it looked like I had 800 lb spring bars, and suggested I move up to 1K lb. He said if theyíre too soft it will porpoise, but if too stiff, it will make my ride harsh. This may explain why your ride is so uncomfortable if you have 1K spring bars on a 19í trailer with 500 lb hitch weight.

Since Iím operating at about 90% of my TV capacity, I do watch how things are loaded. I donít carry excess baggage heavier than a pillow in the truck, lol. Everything gets stowed in the trailer.
(Is there no respect for an 8-ton GCVWR truck? *sniff* )
Alluminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:04 AM   #18
Tao
3 Rivet Member

2013 19' International
Currently Looking...
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
Thanks for sharing, I appreciate it.

Think I need to find a site to have my rig weighed.