Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2019, 03:45 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
interesting comments from U-Haul

The following is from U-Haul's towing instructions:

Other Hitch Systems
Weight distributing or sway control devices ARE NOT USED <U-Haul's emphasis> for towing U-Haul trailers. Towing a properly loaded U-Haul trailer does not require these devices. These devices may have a negative effect on vehicle handling and braking and may restrict the operation of the trailer coupling mechanism.

Your tow vehicle
For occasional towing, your vehicle, when properly equipped, can tow any recommended U-Haul trailer, if the loaded weight of the trailer does not exceed your vehicle’s curb (empty) weight. Your vehicle can also tow any U-Haul trailer equipped with brakes, provided the curb weight of your tow vehicle is at least 80% of the loaded weight of the braked trailer.
out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 03:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of sight View Post

Other Hitch Systems
Weight distributing or sway control devices ARE NOT USED <U-Haul's emphasis> for towing U-Haul trailers. Towing a properly loaded U-Haul trailer does not require these devices. These devices may have a negative effect on vehicle handling and braking and may restrict the operation of the trailer coupling mechanism.

Your tow vehicle
For occasional towing, your vehicle, when properly equipped, can tow any recommended U-Haul trailer, if the loaded weight of the trailer does not exceed your vehicle’s curb (empty) weight. Your vehicle can also tow any U-Haul trailer equipped with brakes, provided the curb weight of your tow vehicle is at least 80% of the loaded weight of the braked trailer.
Not unusual. Uhaul has surge brakes, and as such, is incompatible with WD.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 03:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
You are correct U-Haul trailers are engineered and designed differently there by they request no use of these weight distribution anti-sway devices.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 04:03 PM   #4
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:

<snip>
Good advice not to use WD equipment on an Airstream trailer, just so long as the user removes the electric trailer brakes from their Airstream and installs surge brakes in their place. Check if they are legal in your jurisdiction, they aren’t legal everywhere for trailers that weigh what an Airstream does. Also, make sure to pick up the 45 mph or 55 mph maximum speed decals from U Haul and install them on the Airstream. Finally, U Haul promotes the need for additional towing insurance for every trip for their trailers.

Or, one could read Airstream’s recommendations and just tow with WD equipment, properly set up.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 05:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
The following is from U-Haul's director of engineering:

“I’ll give you an example: You have a trailer loaded improperly and the critical speed is 65 mph and you’re approaching that speed. The sway-control device is actually going to help eliminate those minor sways as you get close to speed, but once you get to 65 mph, it’s still going to go unstable. So it’s not going to correct the incorrect trailer loading. It actually might mask it so you don’t get a warning that you’re coming up on a bad condition.”
Old 05-18-2019, 05:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:

“I’ll give you an example: You have a trailer loaded improperly and the critical speed is 65 mph and you’re approaching that speed. The sway-control device is actually going to help eliminate those minor sways as you get close to speed, but once you get to 65 mph, it’s still going to go unstable. So it’s not going to correct the incorrect trailer loading. It actually might mask it so you don’t get a warning that you’re coming up on a bad condition.”
Of course, what's your point? We've discussed proper loading adnauseum over the years.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 05-18-2019, 05:40 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Of course, what's your point? We've discussed proper loading adnauseum over the years.
The point that he's making and that you're missing is that sway control hitches can mask what's going on with your trailer and that it may be safer just towing on the ball.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:51 PM   #8
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
The point that he's making and that you're missing is that sway control hitches can mask what's going on with your trailer and that it may be safer just towing on the ball.
According to the company that supplies trailers that cannot use WD equipment due to their design.

U Haul have only two levers to pull to manage sway issues. Loading, and speed. Loading matters for all trailers, it isn’t unique to U Haul. They address speed with low speed limits for their trailers.

Then they mitigate the risk by selling expensive insurance products.

I don’t fault them as they can’t use WD and sway dampening equipment.

With other trailer designs, we have a choice.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:43 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Yeah, no he's not.

Old 05-18-2019, 07:36 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
You can find about 5 pages of recent Air Forum discussion of the same topic here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ed-193506.html

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 09:57 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

TRUSSVILLE , Alabama
Somewhat related, but does U-Haul install sway control or WD hitch systems, even though they do not allow on their own trailers? Wondered in case i’m On the road and have an immediate hitch problem they could solve.
Popsnkiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 11:45 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:

He is correct in that sway should be resolved first and foremost by fixing the design and/or loading issues with the trailer not with the sway control on a WDH. They blame the hitch and the TV but the root cause is the trailer.
Profxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 11:47 AM   #13
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popsnkiki View Post
Somewhat related, but does U-Haul install sway control or WD hitch systems, even though they do not allow on their own trailers? Wondered in case i’m On the road and have an immediate hitch problem they could solve.
Yes.

https://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies...-Distribution/
Old 05-19-2019, 12:14 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Waco , Texas
Quote:
Exactly what is my anti-sway control hitch masking?? Trailer Sway? Because if it is, it's doing exactly what I want, and what it is designed to do. I towed my AS on the ball to my RV dealer at 55mph, with my anti-sway WD hitch in the pickup bed. Crosswinds were creating sway during the drive. I dropped both truck and AS off. The owner installed and tuned the WD hitch later that afternoon for my specific TV and Airstream. Going home, crosswinds were significantly increased, yet not any hint of sway at 65mph during the drive home. My newly installed anti-sway WD hitch, masked and fully attenuated sway on the drive home.
Martee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 12:44 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
Quote:
His example refers specifically refers to an improperly loaded trailer. Nowhere does he imply that it’s safer to tow a properly loaded trailer on the ball without sway control. You’re mixing your apples with your coconuts.

“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.”
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 01:27 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California

By actual experiments on the exact same route, same trailer and truck loading, and similar wind conditions the difference between a Husky brand WD hitch and a ProPride setup was as follows:

Husky: trailer started sway event at 55 MPH and required slowing to 45 MPH on the downhill run to keep it from occurring.

ProPride: No sway whatsoever at trailer speed limit 55 MPH downhill all segments of the run. In addition, a run across Texas with the ProPride showed absolutely no indication of sway at speeds up to 80 MPH, whilst being passed by big rigs, and in heavy crosswinds.

I don’t need someone telling me towing on the ball is safer, but thanks for the free opinion. It’s worth what we paid for it.

My engineering experience says pivot point projection works. Any sway control system will help under the right circumstances, but others try to resist sway, not mechanically flat out stop it.

In my experience over a rather long career at Boeing and other engineering outfits, I’ve found that Ignorance can be cured if the individual is willing to do some research and learning. Stupidity is apparently a permanent condition. Also, ignorance suitably prolonged is indistinguishable from stupidity.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 02:18 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Dies a husky brand have built in sway control? Some do not.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 04:04 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Some people seem to be missing the point of U-Haul's policy. The most important feature of your tow vehicle is its weight in comparison to the weight of the trailer it's towing. If you have a big enough tow vehicle you will not need a w/d or sway control hitch. Indeed, these hitches are nothing more than band-aid solutions for towing with an undersized tow vehicle.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:49 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrvr View Post
Dies a husky brand have built in sway control? Some do not.

That one did not. It was cheap junk that came with trailer. Gave it away to someone who had NO WD hitch at all. He was waking up sleeping birds with his headlights it was so high on the front end.

Replaced with a 1000 pound bar ProPride setup after one very scary downhill trip. Don’t need help getting my blood pressure too high...

Has perfect towing manners now with exact same truck. 5400 pound trailer, truck rated at 6500 from factory. (So don’t tell me it’s not big enough ...) and in my considered opinion anti-sway of some sort is needed on anything other than a fifth wheel setup.

Simple physics and towing characteristics apply, although Airstreams do behave better on the ball than most SOB units. I’m not interested in pushing my luck, and admittedly at my age my reflexes are not as fast as are needed to find the brake controller and hit the trailer brakes to straighten it out all the time if I feel sway coming on. I do not enjoy white-knuckle rides when I’m going camping.

Note also that any UHaul trailer has a very long tongue. Wheels set well to the rear, and admonitions to load heavy in front. Just rented one, and read the safety instructions as a matter of course. (No, I’m keeping my ‘man card’)
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 07:13 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
Some people seem to be missing the point of U-Haul's policy. The most important feature of your tow vehicle is its weight in comparison to the weight of the trailer it's towing. If you have a big enough tow vehicle you will not need a w/d or sway control hitch. Indeed, these hitches are nothing more than band-aid solutions for towing with an undersized tow vehicle.
With my newly imported Japanese tow vehicle, sway is never going to be a problem. Now I can finally get rid of that pesky Hensley hitch.

Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JGSDF_APC_Type_96_at_JGSDF_Camp_Shimoshizu_02.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	341169  
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote