Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2013, 03:15 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
Installing the ProPride Hitch

We just ordered the ProPride hitch, it's already been shipped and we should receive it on Thursday.

Just wondering....we're hoping the Airstream dealer will install the hitch at a reasonable price, haven't asked for a quote yet. What do you consider a reasonable price?

Also, I've been looking for a video on how to install the hitch, but can't seem to find one. There are plenty of them on how to use them, but not how to install them. Have you found any installation videos?

Any other thoughts on where or who we can get to install the hitch?

Also---anybody interested in buying an almost new Equal-i-zer hitch??
ProPride 3P Trailer Sway Control Hitch
WBCCI #7878
time2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:21 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
The instructions are clear and you must follow each step carefully but my son and I installed in 3 hours because we encountered things Which we talked to Sean about. Our problems were not "show stoppers".

Sean is sending a couple different parts to resolve our issues. Good folks!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I installed mine alone for the most part. I asked others for opinions at one point though. I also bought it used so everything was in a jumble to begin with. You can do it if you can assemble things - grills, bikes, etc. I DID find that my weight bars were different sizes! The original owner did not know it but Sean made good on it as I shipped the wrong one back to him. If you want to try doing it, we can help with questions perhaps. I went really slowly since I did not know what I was doing or what was what since things were just in a box not labeled or wrapped. It took me about 11 hours to sort it all out and get it right. The hardest part for me was the 3P yoke mount. The rest was not bad. I have since pulled it about 3000 miles and no issues. Great hitch.

You have to clear the tongue area of your trailer (LP Tanks, Tank base, etc) to plan a mount of the yoke. I ended up finding that my LP base mount had to go exactly where the yoke piece needed to be also. I bought some nylon spacers to act as risers that lifted the LP tank base above the bolt heads and all was good-making runs to Home Depot, etc. THAT was the hardest part - figuring out what to do and doing it on that step. I do now know where there are any install videos but here are some pictures. Pic 6 was my hard part. The jack mounting was easy and the stinger setup too. The head part with the underneath bar install with those little discs was the second hardest thing. See pics, note the 6th one. These are not of my install as it is not an Airstream but all I could find on install on propride. http://www.thelockharts.com/ProPride.htm
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:17 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
Thanks. We may try to do it ourselves, I guess we'll wait until we get the hitch and study the instructions.

Rodsterinfl, thank you for the pictures and videos. They were very helpful. In fact, they were the best. Lots of good information. Thank you! We're be referring to your site quite often, I'm sure!

Meanwhile, we talked to the dealer and was not able to get a quote today (service department is closed). But one of the service technicians talked about how difficult it is to hitch the ProPride; said it was real hard to back up the truck and line it up with the hitch. He made it sound like it was going to be real difficult, he just didn't sound encouraging about it.

What has been your experience with the actual hitching process? Especially lining up the truck when hitching?

And thank you all again for your help.
ProPride 3P Trailer Sway Control Hitch
WBCCI #7878
time2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Re: backing in to the hitch - it takes a learning curve but once you get it, you're good! There's a GREAT thread in here called the unofficial PP users guide that starts with installation and covers EVERYTHING else (and maybe you'll add more as you go?). Highly recommend reading the whole thread (I did it over a few nights :-) ).

Good luck!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:44 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
I also have a Ford F150 Ecoboost and the camera makes hitching up the ProPride a breeze. Once you have done it a few times, you will see that there is really nothing to it. It is certainly faster than my old hitch with the trunnion bars and chains. It took me about 4 hours to install it, working by myself. The prep work on the tongue took longer. You need to remove the tanks and that is a good time to touch up the paint there.
Morgan guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
as the other have mentioned it is not too difficult to hitch up. I ran into one situation this summer where the trailer was on a slight hill slanted to one side from the actual flat area where the truck was- sou des weird but the trailer was leveled yet at a slant from the drive area. I had to work the stinger into the hitch head but I did get it eventually. It was mostly using the power jack up and down to vary the height through the process of backing up till finally locking the pins on the stinger assembly.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:41 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2008 22' Safari
2000 27' Safari
Asheville , North Carolina
Sitting in the Airstream factory service center in Ohio as I write this...getting the Propride hitch installed. They have EIGHT hours into it so far, with no end in sight. I had originally thought they were going to charge us by the hour, and put that in my original post, but the service manager just spoke to me, and they are going to keep it reasonable.
Suzmsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:53 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzmsw View Post
Sitting in the Airstream factory service center in Ohio as I write this...getting the Propride hitch installed. They have EIGHT hours into it so far, with no end in sight. It will probably end up costing more to install it than the hitch cost. How is it that those lucky enough to be strong enough to install this themselves can do it in four hours and it's taking airstream pros this long?
We had service work there a few weeks ago. Are their other problems, should be a 2-4 hour job? I think Oasis RV in Tucson took 2 1/2 hours on ours, they had never put a ProPride on before, but many Hensleys.

If they charge you full hours used (and they may not) I would attempt some negotiation. I think they are decent about this, let us know how it works out and why/if it took so long.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:07 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I installed mine by myself in 4-5 hours. A couple of extra hands would of helped. I put orange reflective tape around the opening of the trailer portion of the ProPride and can use the back up camera to hitch up without somebody giving directions.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote