Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-20-2019, 09:01 AM   #1

2012 27' FB Classic
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Installing a backup camera

Hi All. I'm new to this AS adventure. I need your advice. I have a 2012 28FBT Classic Limited. I just bought a 2019 F350, Lariat, 4x4, 6.7 diesel, Crewcab, 6 3/4' bed. When I bought the truck, I also bought an Owner installed, Ford, Backup camera and TPMS that integrates into the truck's display so that I don't have to have a separate video display. The official name of the unit is: Trailer-Mounted Trailer Camera- Camera with TPMS # HC3Z-19G490-J.
The camera should mount easily on the rear of the AS. It comes with a 49' wiring harness which needs to run from the rear of the AS to the front and plugs into the TV. What is the best way to run this harness? There is no pre wiring for backup camera on the 2012. Running it in the walls of the AS is way too much labor at this time. So my only option is running it outside. Has anyone installed one of these cameras? Is it best to run along the top, drop down along one of the front windows, and then to the hitch? Or should I run it under the AS? Also what is the best way to secure a wiring harness to the outside of the AS? I don't really want to drill a bunch of holes into the Al skin.
Thanks in advance for your advice.
tjobrien is offline   Reply With Quote