Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-12-2004, 06:04 PM   #21
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62 Overlander
Concerning towing a Caravel with a F250 4x4; I also have a F250 4x4 and a Caravel. Is the rear suspension of this type of truck too stiff for the Caravel? The rear of the truck doesn't settle but maybe an inch at the most when hitched up. Would carrying some sandbags for weight in the rear help? I'm afraid of damaging the shell after some of the posts I've read.
I don't think so. I pulled my '70 Safari 23' thousands and thousands of miles with my '77 F250 Supercab and didn't have any problems with the trailer. I can't believe that your Caravel would be much different. I did break a wing window once, but it was because I didn't have a rock shield, and I threw one up into the trailer... Other than that, life was peachy with the Safari and F250 for the entire six or seven years I had them!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 01:17 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Thanks again to all for your continued advice!
I found an earlier thread about tools and such needed for a long haul of a "new" aquisition and found several good hints. Maybe we'll take both pieces of plastic a.k.a. credit cards!
Today I got clear title and tags!!! I was holding my breath a little on that one too! My step-dad signed the title several years ago, left it with his friend in WY and moved to NC when he re-met my Mom. (They were high school friends, went their own ways, met again as senior citizens and got married!) The WY friend sent me the title the other day. My brother (power of attorney) sent the death certificate and a notarized letter of intent of gift to me - I took all into the Auditors office and with no hassle !!! walked out with WA title and license plate! Didn't have to pay sales tax on the value!

I anticipated some of the things most of you are mentioning - not the exact details - but the concepts. But I'm amazed at some of the simple things I didn't think about . . . like mud/rock flaps!!! My husband is pretty handy with wiring and basic mechanics but I hope I can talk him into the car hauler or flat bed idea. He hates to borrow or rent anything! We DO have a very limited budget so the idea of getting it home without damage and spreading the repairs/updating over more time has lots of merit!

b.t.w. there's a moderately heavy canopy on the F250 4X4 pick-up, so it is already weighted down some. That's why the top of the ball sits at 20" rather than higher.
I'm still aiming for the last week in October for our adventure. I was keeping my fingers crossed about the cold weather (black ice/snow) holding off. Now I'm thinking about the possibility of Mt. St.Helens Ash!!!
Karen
Karen R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 04:51 AM   #23
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62 Overlander
Concerning towing a Caravel with a F250 4x4; I also have a F250 4x4 and a Caravel. Is the rear suspension of this type of truck too stiff for the Caravel? The rear of the truck doesn't settle but maybe an inch at the most when hitched up. Would carrying some sandbags for weight in the rear help? I'm afraid of damaging the shell after some of the posts I've read.
karen

one additional idea concerning the "stiffness" issue, i imagine your 3/4 ton ford has at least load range E tires on it. you can always reduce the air pressure on the rear tires.

example: on my '00 chevy 3/4 ton the recommended rear tire pressure is 80 psi, i only use this when hauling right at full gvw. (when i have the excella AND my harley davidson in the bed) normally when hauling just the bike or just the excella i reduce the rear air pressure to 55 or 60 psi respectively. when i run the truck for any distance empty i lower it to 45 psi.

this may be enough to cushion the ride enough to make your adventure more comfortable for you and your trailer.

consult your local tire dealer for some ideas on a "lower" pressure for your particular brand of tire.

john