Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-29-2014, 02:42 PM   #43
Full Time Adventurer
 
BoldAdventure's Avatar
 
2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,743
I think we can all agree that diesel is just generally terrible.




<<runs and hides>>

j/k
__________________

__________________
Family of 4 living, working & exploring the USA in our Airstream.
OUR BLOG | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
BoldAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:56 PM   #44
Rivet Master
 
J. Morgan's Avatar

 
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5,039
Images: 11
I think the execution of putting diesels in pickup trucks has been botched by two out of three manufacturers.

The unrealistic and nonsensical extreme EPA regulation of diesel engines has made things much worse.

There is a point of practical return that has been overtaken by regulation.
__________________

__________________
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:09 PM   #45
Leavingtherut.com
 
TavnAsh's Avatar
 
2005 30' Safari
Key Largo , Florida
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 111
Blog Entries: 1
InfoGraphic: Actual Fuel Economy of Diesel vs Gas Towing

My DPF and all the EPA crap kind of fell off my 08 cab chassis cummins right around 100,000 miles.. So weird that I now get about 3 mpg better empty/towing mileage (18-20/13-14).

The truck weighs 9200 empty and over 17,000 gross with the airstream.... We can accelerate up steep grades, have an exhaust brake, 50 gal of diesel (less flammable then gas), never worry about overloading and on average I run these trucks to over 300,000 problem free miles and sell them for over 1/3 their original purchase cost.ATTACH]217762[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1406664408.988670.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	726.2 KB
ID:	217762  
__________________
Finding our normal, one day at a time.
http://www.leavingtherut.com
TavnAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:27 PM   #46
Rivet Master
 
1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 5,648
I think our EPA restrictions are worse than those in Europe.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
I think the execution of putting diesels in pickup trucks has been botched by two out of three manufacturers.

The unrealistic and nonsensical extreme EPA regulation of diesel engines has made things much worse.

There is a point of practical return that has been overtaken by regulation.
__________________
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:30 PM   #47
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar

 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,400
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TavnAsh View Post
My DPF and all the EPA crap kind of fell off my 08 cab chassis cummins right around 100,000 miles.. So weird that I now get about 3 mpg better empty/towing mileage (18-20/13-14).

The truck weighs 9200 empty and over 17,000 gross with the airstream.... We can accelerate up steep grades, have an exhaust brake, 50 gal of diesel (less flammable then gas), never worry about overloading and on average I run these trucks to over 300,000 problem free miles and sell them for over 1/3 their original purchase cost.ATTACH]217762[/ATTACH]

Not weird at all. DPF regen sucks a lot of fuel and occurs about every 50 - 60 gallons of fuel burned. Although I find it to be about 1 - 1.5 mpg by studying the dash readout over a period of time and several Dmax trucks.
__________________
-Rich-

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:43 PM   #48
Leavingtherut.com
 
TavnAsh's Avatar
 
2005 30' Safari
Key Largo , Florida
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 111
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Not weird at all. DPF regen sucks a lot of fuel and occurs about every 50 - 60 gallons of fuel burned. Although I find it to be about 1 - 1.5 mpg by studying the dash readout over a period of time and several Dmax trucks.

The erg (exhaust gas recirculation) also came off, which when gone, allows cleaner, cooler denser air into the combustion process... That helped in addition to the dpf coming off. Added benefit is cleaner oil .


Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
__________________
Finding our normal, one day at a time.
http://www.leavingtherut.com
TavnAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:42 PM   #49
Rivet Master
 
John&Vicki's Avatar
 
1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 887
Images: 4
As many others have done, I've experimented quite a bit trying to see if there is a sweet spot where I get the best gas mileage. There are a lot of variables of course, but I imagine things start to smooth out as the sample sizes grow. I use cruise control almost exclusively while towing so thst may help keep things consistent.

I've experimented with 55, 58, 60, 62, 64 and 66 mph. My engine's (2007 MB ML500 V8) sweet spot seems to be 60-62, consistently better than the lower speeds.

I'm sure big haulers have developed computer chips that deliver optimum fuel economy for various conditions, such as temperatures, altitudes, fuel quality and grade, etc. i know it's common to swap chips in Porsches based on different performance parameters. Maybe it could be done in consumer TVs.

Poppy
__________________
John & Vicki
WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:07 PM   #50
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar

 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,400
Images: 5
Poppy, find a torque curve for your vehicle. Look for the RPM at which the curve flattens out and see where you are, RPM wise at given speeds in various gears.

With GM gassers and a 3.73 gear, I almost always find that spot at about 63 mph in direct drive. This was with 4 speeds. I haven't done an analysis in my demos with more forward gears.

That spot and right around it is most efficient under a heavy load on flat ground.
__________________
-Rich-

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:31 PM   #51
Leavingtherut.com
 
TavnAsh's Avatar
 
2005 30' Safari
Key Largo , Florida
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 111
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Poppy, find a torque curve for your vehicle. Look for the RPM at which the curve flattens out and see where you are, RPM wise at given speeds in various gears.

With GM gassers and a 3.73 gear, I almost always find that spot at about 63 mph in direct drive. This was with 4 speeds. I haven't done an analysis in my demos with more forward gears.

That spot and right around it is most efficient under a heavy load on flat ground.

That is another great thing about diesel trucks, big flat torque curves. My cummins makes it's max torque just over 1400 RPM and it stays at its max torque until around 2600 RPM, maxing torque at a lower RPM aids in efficiency and engine durability as the engine is not turning as fast as a comparable gas would be, gas engine's torque curves peak at higher RPMs. Also above 50 MPH, the biggest detractor from efficiency is drag from air flow (I am a professional pilot so I can get nerdy about this stuff). A car running at 70 mph is about 20% less efficient then at 50 MPH. Below 50 mph the largest detractor from efficiency is tire pressure.

So when I put that all in, the most efficient speed for us to pull the airstream is my compromise of 65 mph. There we are turning about 1900 rpm, and if all the tires are inflated properly, we get about 14 mpg on flat dry pavement on a no wind day. We can get better mpg going slower, but unfortunately our time is limited for vacations... The things I think about when I am the only one awake in the car ...
__________________
Finding our normal, one day at a time.
http://www.leavingtherut.com
TavnAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:00 AM   #52
Rivet Master
 
J. Morgan's Avatar

 
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5,039
Images: 11
At 65 pulling my 31 footer I will get about 10 Mpg, this adjusted for the higher price of diesel is going to be equivalent to better than 11mpg.

So dollar for dollar I give up about 3 mpg...

In 08 my truck cost me about 21k

Say I tow 20,000 miles a year, (I wish it were that much.) I will burn about 1800 gallons v. your 1400 gallons.

My additional cost per year at $4.00 a gallon is $1,600....

The Ram is a nice truck, the Cummins is a great engine, but it will take a long while to pay out, I say the Ford and chevy Diesels on average would never pay out.
__________________
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:09 AM   #53
Leavingtherut.com
 
TavnAsh's Avatar
 
2005 30' Safari
Key Largo , Florida
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 111
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
At 65 pulling my 31 footer I will get about 10 Mpg, this adjusted for the higher price of diesel is going to be equivalent to better than 11mpg.

So dollar for dollar I give up about 3 mpg...

In 08 my truck cost me about 21k

Say I tow 20,000 miles a year, (I wish it were that much.) I will burn about 1800 gallons v. your 1400 gallons.

My additional cost per year at $4.00 a gallon is $1,600....

The Ram is a nice truck, the Cummins is a great engine, but it will take a long while to pay out, I say the Ford and chevy Diesels on average would never pay out.

You make a very valid point. I honestly think at the recreational levels we use our trucks, it is difficult to justify a diesel by cost alone. I have other reasons, ultimately I think my diesel will be cheaper when resale and longer ownership intervals are worked in (I bought new for 33k in 08). But that also does not take into account what the extra $$ saved buying your truck could have done invested properly over the past 5 years... I probably would be a millionaire. Good discussion though, and I am working until 4 am, so it is keeping me awake!!! .


Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
__________________
Finding our normal, one day at a time.
http://www.leavingtherut.com
TavnAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:15 AM   #54
4 Rivet Member
 
Durango , Colorado
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
At 65 pulling my 31 footer I will get about 10 Mpg, this adjusted for the higher price of diesel is going to be equivalent to better than 11mpg.

So dollar for dollar I give up about 3 mpg...

In 08 my truck cost me about 21k

Say I tow 20,000 miles a year, (I wish it were that much.) I will burn about 1800 gallons v. your 1400 gallons.

My additional cost per year at $4.00 a gallon is $1,600....

The Ram is a nice truck, the Cummins is a great engine, but it will take a long while to pay out, I say the Ford and chevy Diesels on average would never pay out.
Wow, that Ram seems like a fuel hog!

My 2013 F-250 Diesel gets between 17 - 19 when empty and 13 - 15 when towing a 27 foot trailer. I usually do oil changes between every 5000 -7500 miles and that is the only time my DEF tank gets a refill.

I usually run 65 - 75 on the highway and have 40,000 miles on my current truck. I live in the Durango area so I am constantly changing altitude.

I have driven Ford Diesels since about 1988 and never had a lick of trouble with any model. My current Platinum F-250 Diesel Crew Cab is the best truck I have ever owned and I couldn't be happier.

Of course growing up in a farming family and later working in the oil fields, I always drove Fords due to durability and overall better work performance, so we are a bit biased.
__________________
RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:20 AM   #55
Rivet Master
 
J. Morgan's Avatar

 
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5,039
Images: 11
InfoGraphic: Actual Fuel Economy of Diesel vs Gas Towing

I Like Ford Trucks..... But my dads 6.0 power stroke is a POS period.

Great truck with a boat anchor engine.

The 7.3 diesels were good, all that has come out since doesn't impress me much.
__________________
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:22 AM   #56
Leavingtherut.com
 
TavnAsh's Avatar
 
2005 30' Safari
Key Largo , Florida
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 111
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDreamer View Post
Wow, that Ram seems like a fuel hog!



My 2013 F-250 Diesel gets between 17 - 19 when empty and 13 - 15 when towing a 27 foot trailer. I usually do oil changes between every 5000 -7500 miles and that is the only time my DEF tank gets a refill.



I usually run 65 - 75 on the highway and have 40,000 miles on my current truck. I live in the Durango area so I am constantly changing altitude.



I have driven Ford Diesels since about 1988 and never had a lick of trouble with any model. My current Platinum F-250 Diesel Crew Cab is the best truck I have ever owned and I couldn't be happier.



Of course growing up in a farming family and later working in the oil fields, I always drove Fords due to durability and overall better work performance, so we are a bit biased.

I drove Fords until the 6.0 came out, then made the switch. I still miss my 99 7.3, awesome rig.

Trailer is a 30 bunkhouse around 8000 lbs and truck is a cab and chassis 4x4 with a steel tow bed, 9200 empty, 4.10 gears. We are running about 3-4k heavier then your setup. Empty 18-20 and with the airstream 13-14.


Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
__________________

__________________
Finding our normal, one day at a time.
http://www.leavingtherut.com
TavnAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Favorite Higher Fuel Economy Tow Vehicles ALANSD Tow Vehicles 88 07-29-2014 04:49 PM
Please list your model and fuel economy LANcamp Airstream Motorhome Forums 76 05-31-2013 01:19 PM
The Xmas fuel economy thread! Dave Park Tow Vehicles 8 12-15-2010 10:55 PM
Fuel economy loss ralley Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More... 12 01-06-2009 02:40 PM
Fuel economy ideas and MPG Boosting (merged threads) maxandgeorgia Tow Vehicles 104 07-23-2008 09:19 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.