Old 09-19-2014, 08:26 AM   #141
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I think the real "gotcha" with the diesel vehicles will be for those folks like me who own their vehicles well outside the warranty period.
I have had to replace a turbo (reman) and dpf filter (craigslist find) which cost me over $2600 last year thanks to the complex emission system. The remainder of the truck has been pretty darn good, well except for the crummy tire pressure sensors. More gov't mandated crapola......
Maintenance isn't much different than the gasser. My fuel filter was $20 at the local parts house, a quality oil filter cost me $8 but the 3 gallons of oil was $58.
Anyway, I still own this diesel because of the performance, certainly not the economics. If I didn't have towing duties I would just have a gas truck.

There seems to be a lot of happy Ecoboost owners that have twin turbo's. This scare's me because that's twice the cost to fix over my trucks single turbo. I wonder how costly they will be to diagnose and fix if kept outside the warranty period....... Gasoline injectors aren't necessarily cheap either.

If I ever decide to sell the current truck I would consider going back to a naturally aspirated v-8 but it's going to be very hard for me to give up the diesel towing performance.

Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:27 AM   #142
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Average of 70 mph? Jim

Old 09-19-2014, 06:52 PM   #143
Leavingtherut.com

2005 30' Safari
Key Largo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
I think the real "gotcha" with the diesel vehicles will be for those folks like me who own their vehicles well outside the warranty period.
I have had to replace a turbo (reman) and dpf filter (craigslist find) which cost me over $2600 last year thanks to the complex emission system. The remainder of the truck has been pretty darn good, well except for the crummy tire pressure sensors. More gov't mandated crapola......
Maintenance isn't much different than the gasser. My fuel filter was $20 at the local parts house, a quality oil filter cost me $8 but the 3 gallons of oil was $58.
Anyway, I still own this diesel because of the performance, certainly not the economics. If I didn't have towing duties I would just have a gas truck.

There seems to be a lot of happy Ecoboost owners that have twin turbo's. This scare's me because that's twice the cost to fix over my trucks single turbo. I wonder how costly they will be to diagnose and fix if kept outside the warranty period....... Gasoline injectors aren't necessarily cheap either.

If I ever decide to sell the current truck I would consider going back to a naturally aspirated v-8 but it's going to be very hard for me to give up the diesel towing performance.

My DPF just so happened to fall off at around 100k miles, it cost me about $400 in software to compensate for the lack of a DPF and I get 3 mpg better and clean oil now....
Old 09-20-2014, 10:46 AM   #144
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Well I have the solution for my Hemi when it comes to going up to 11K feet with the same ease as a diesel. And less moving parts than your turbos. Plus no lag

Old 09-21-2014, 10:26 PM   #145
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by TavnAsh View Post
My DPF just so happened to fall off at around 100k miles, it cost me about $400 in software to compensate for the lack of a DPF and I get 3 mpg better and clean oil now....
I started down that route because of the benefits you mentioned which ended up being a nightmare. A diesel shop put a tuner on which did nothing but set off cel lights, bells, whistles, you name it. Every time you accelerated I saw a large cloud of black smoke, the new 4" exhaust droned so bad my head hurt. I said the heck with that nonsense and went back to stock. I wish it would have turned out differently. I ended up finding a complete exhaust from a newer low mileage truck for $700. The hacks at the diesel shop cut the double walled down pipe. That down pipe alone (which also contains a catalyst) if purchased new from a dealer would have been $3000 the only good thing there is to say about emission components is that the exhaust pipe looks brand new (no soot) and it is stink free except for an occasional funny smell during regeneration.
WBCCI # 3072
Old 09-22-2014, 06:12 AM   #146
Leavingtherut.com

2005 30' Safari
Key Largo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
I started down that route because of the benefits you mentioned which ended up being a nightmare. A diesel shop put a tuner on which did nothing but set off cel lights, bells, whistles, you name it. Every time you accelerated I saw a large cloud of black smoke, the new 4" exhaust droned so bad my head hurt. I said the heck with that nonsense and went back to stock. I wish it would have turned out differently. I ended up finding a complete exhaust from a newer low mileage truck for $700. The hacks at the diesel shop cut the double walled down pipe. That down pipe alone (which also contains a catalyst) if purchased new from a dealer would have been $3000 the only good thing there is to say about emission components is that the exhaust pipe looks brand new (no soot) and it is stink free except for an occasional funny smell during regeneration.
I forget what you mentioned what truck you had, I just gave my DPF away for free.... That was all I replaced, and then blocked the EGR. I was not interested in performance, just to compensate for the loss of the DPF, so the tuner I run keeps me at stock. I have been running it now for about 40,000 miles so far with no lights and great results. The only issue I have had to date is I believe my turbo needs to be removed and cleaned, I think the sliding block is getting jammed on carbon buildup as I hear what sounds like air escaping the bypass when I climb large grades.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:17 AM   #147
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Tavnash - sent you a PM so as not to clutter this anymore.
WBCCI # 3072
Old 09-22-2014, 07:00 PM   #148
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Well I have the solution for my Hemi when it comes to going up to 11K feet with the same ease as a diesel. And less moving parts than your turbos. Plus no lag

so is that a supercharger on top of a hemi?? what kinda performance you getting. Hows the torque when pulling up hill??

was that a special order or aftermarket deal.
TUG2.net check it out for good rental deals
2003 F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L PowerStroke
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:01 PM   #149
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Watch that drivetrain while towing up hills!!!

Nice setup!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:18 AM   #150
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Watch the driveshaft U-joints as they were designed for the horsepower and torque of a stock gasser. You might want to see if they are using a beefed up driveshaft on the new 1500 diesel and inquire about cost and retrofitting...

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:18 AM   #151
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
One does not simply plop a supercharger on their engine without supporting mods. Come on guys. Gesh.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:12 AM   #152
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Sometimes people do...

Old 09-26-2014, 07:28 AM   #153
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
PS: I was just posting it as a gag I don't actually have a super charger.

But the point remains, forced induction is the only reason your engines are better at altitude. Not because diesel is better than gas. That's why the new Ecoboost does well at altitude. Two turbos.

Most folks don't build tow vehicles, so it's all moot anyways.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:36 AM   #154
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
InfoGraphic: Actual Fuel Economy of Diesel vs Gas Towing

For most people power lost while towing at altitude is a peripheral issue. I have never encountered a loss of power that is overtly noticeable at altitudes of less than 6,000 feet.

If a person tows their trailer to Cripple Creek Colorado, I imagine that a driver would notice that their TV is experiencing altitude sickness....

Diesel does have more fuel content per gallon, and I think that since a diesel always takes a full air charge, that it might have a slight built in efficiency advantage, but the intrinsic advantage is not big, and shrinking with time.