Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-19-2014, 08:26 AM   #141
Rivet Master
 
crispyboy's Avatar
 
1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,656
Images: 3
I think the real "gotcha" with the diesel vehicles will be for those folks like me who own their vehicles well outside the warranty period.
I have had to replace a turbo (reman) and dpf filter (craigslist find) which cost me over $2600 last year thanks to the complex emission system. The remainder of the truck has been pretty darn good, well except for the crummy tire pressure sensors. More gov't mandated crapola......
Maintenance isn't much different than the gasser. My fuel filter was $20 at the local parts house, a quality oil filter cost me $8 but the 3 gallons of oil was $58.
Anyway, I still own this diesel because of the performance, certainly not the economics. If I didn't have towing duties I would just have a gas truck.

There seems to be a lot of happy Ecoboost owners that have twin turbo's. This scare's me because that's twice the cost to fix over my trucks single turbo. I wonder how costly they will be to diagnose and fix if kept outside the warranty period....... Gasoline injectors aren't necessarily cheap either.

If I ever decide to sell the current truck I would consider going back to a naturally aspirated v-8 but it's going to be very hard for me to give up the diesel towing performance.
__________________

__________________
Steve, Christy, Anna and Scout (Border Collie deceased 11-30-2016)
1994 Classic 30'11" Excella - rear twin
2009 Dodge 2500, 6 Speed Auto, CTD, Quad Cab, Short Bed
Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:27 AM   #142
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,417
Blog Entries: 2
Average of 70 mph? Jim
__________________

__________________
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:52 PM   #143
Leavingtherut.com
 
TavnAsh's Avatar
 
2005 30' Safari
Key Largo , Florida
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 111
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
I think the real "gotcha" with the diesel vehicles will be for those folks like me who own their vehicles well outside the warranty period.
I have had to replace a turbo (reman) and dpf filter (craigslist find) which cost me over $2600 last year thanks to the complex emission system. The remainder of the truck has been pretty darn good, well except for the crummy tire pressure sensors. More gov't mandated crapola......
Maintenance isn't much different than the gasser. My fuel filter was $20 at the local parts house, a quality oil filter cost me $8 but the 3 gallons of oil was $58.
Anyway, I still own this diesel because of the performance, certainly not the economics. If I didn't have towing duties I would just have a gas truck.

There seems to be a lot of happy Ecoboost owners that have twin turbo's. This scare's me because that's twice the cost to fix over my trucks single turbo. I wonder how costly they will be to diagnose and fix if kept outside the warranty period....... Gasoline injectors aren't necessarily cheap either.

If I ever decide to sell the current truck I would consider going back to a naturally aspirated v-8 but it's going to be very hard for me to give up the diesel towing performance.

My DPF just so happened to fall off at around 100k miles, it cost me about $400 in software to compensate for the lack of a DPF and I get 3 mpg better and clean oil now....
__________________
Finding our normal, one day at a time.
http://www.leavingtherut.com
TavnAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:46 AM   #144
Full Time Adventurer
 
BoldAdventure's Avatar
 
2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,743
Well I have the solution for my Hemi when it comes to going up to 11K feet with the same ease as a diesel. And less moving parts than your turbos. Plus no lag

__________________
Family of 4 living, working & exploring the USA in our Airstream.
OUR BLOG | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
BoldAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 10:26 PM   #145
Rivet Master
 
crispyboy's Avatar
 
1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,656
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TavnAsh View Post
My DPF just so happened to fall off at around 100k miles, it cost me about $400 in software to compensate for the lack of a DPF and I get 3 mpg better and clean oil now....
I started down that route because of the benefits you mentioned which ended up being a nightmare. A diesel shop put a tuner on which did nothing but set off cel lights, bells, whistles, you name it. Every time you accelerated I saw a large cloud of black smoke, the new 4" exhaust droned so bad my head hurt. I said the heck with that nonsense and went back to stock. I wish it would have turned out differently. I ended up finding a complete exhaust from a newer low mileage truck for $700. The hacks at the diesel shop cut the double walled down pipe. That down pipe alone (which also contains a catalyst) if purchased new from a dealer would have been $3000 the only good thing there is to say about emission components is that the exhaust pipe looks brand new (no soot) and it is stink free except for an occasional funny smell during regeneration.
__________________
Steve, Christy, Anna and Scout (Border Collie deceased 11-30-2016)
1994 Classic 30'11" Excella - rear twin
2009 Dodge 2500, 6 Speed Auto, CTD, Quad Cab, Short Bed
Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:12 AM   #146
Leavingtherut.com
 
TavnAsh's Avatar
 
2005 30' Safari
Key Largo , Florida
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 111
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
I started down that route because of the benefits you mentioned which ended up being a nightmare. A diesel shop put a tuner on which did nothing but set off cel lights, bells, whistles, you name it. Every time you accelerated I saw a large cloud of black smoke, the new 4" exhaust droned so bad my head hurt. I said the heck with that nonsense and went back to stock. I wish it would have turned out differently. I ended up finding a complete exhaust from a newer low mileage truck for $700. The hacks at the diesel shop cut the double walled down pipe. That down pipe alone (which also contains a catalyst) if purchased new from a dealer would have been $3000 the only good thing there is to say about emission components is that the exhaust pipe looks brand new (no soot) and it is stink free except for an occasional funny smell during regeneration.
I forget what you mentioned what truck you had, I just gave my DPF away for free.... That was all I replaced, and then blocked the EGR. I was not interested in performance, just to compensate for the loss of the DPF, so the tuner I run keeps me at stock. I have been running it now for about 40,000 miles so far with no lights and great results. The only issue I have had to date is I believe my turbo needs to be removed and cleaned, I think the sliding block is getting jammed on carbon buildup as I hear what sounds like air escaping the bypass when I climb large grades.
__________________
Finding our normal, one day at a time.
http://www.leavingtherut.com
TavnAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:17 AM   #147
Rivet Master
 
crispyboy's Avatar
 
1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,656
Images: 3
Tavnash - sent you a PM so as not to clutter this anymore.
__________________
Steve, Christy, Anna and Scout (Border Collie deceased 11-30-2016)
1994 Classic 30'11" Excella - rear twin
2009 Dodge 2500, 6 Speed Auto, CTD, Quad Cab, Short Bed
Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:00 PM   #148
Rivet Master
 
carl2591's Avatar
 
2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Well I have the solution for my Hemi when it comes to going up to 11K feet with the same ease as a diesel. And less moving parts than your turbos. Plus no lag

so is that a supercharger on top of a hemi?? what kinda performance you getting. Hows the torque when pulling up hill??

was that a special order or aftermarket deal.
__________________
Carl, Raleigh NC
2-24-16 got a 2005 Classic 31D
Timeshare owner/user since '99
TUG2.net check it out for good rental deals
2003 F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L PowerStroke
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:01 PM   #149
Rivet Master
 
J. Morgan's Avatar

 
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5,046
Images: 11
Watch that drivetrain while towing up hills!!!

Nice setup!
__________________
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:18 AM   #150
Rivet Master
 
switz's Avatar

 
2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,799
Images: 8
Watch the driveshaft U-joints as they were designed for the horsepower and torque of a stock gasser. You might want to see if they are using a beefed up driveshaft on the new 1500 diesel and inquire about cost and retrofitting...
__________________
WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:18 AM   #151
Full Time Adventurer
 
BoldAdventure's Avatar
 
2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,743
One does not simply plop a supercharger on their engine without supporting mods. Come on guys. Gesh.
__________________
Family of 4 living, working & exploring the USA in our Airstream.
OUR BLOG | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
BoldAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:12 AM   #152
Rivet Master
 
J. Morgan's Avatar

 
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5,046
Images: 11
Sometimes people do...
__________________
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:28 AM   #153
Full Time Adventurer
 
BoldAdventure's Avatar
 
2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,743
PS: I was just posting it as a gag I don't actually have a super charger.

But the point remains, forced induction is the only reason your engines are better at altitude. Not because diesel is better than gas. That's why the new Ecoboost does well at altitude. Two turbos.

Most folks don't build tow vehicles, so it's all moot anyways.

__________________
BoldAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:36 AM   #154
Rivet Master
 
J. Morgan's Avatar

 
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5,046
Images: 11
InfoGraphic: Actual Fuel Economy of Diesel vs Gas Towing

For most people power lost while towing at altitude is a peripheral issue. I have never encountered a loss of power that is overtly noticeable at altitudes of less than 6,000 feet.

If a person tows their trailer to Cripple Creek Colorado, I imagine that a driver would notice that their TV is experiencing altitude sickness....

Diesel does have more fuel content per gallon, and I think that since a diesel always takes a full air charge, that it might have a slight built in efficiency advantage, but the intrinsic advantage is not big, and shrinking with time.
__________________

__________________
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Favorite Higher Fuel Economy Tow Vehicles ALANSD Tow Vehicles 88 07-29-2014 04:49 PM
Please list your model and fuel economy LANcamp Airstream Motorhome Forums 76 05-31-2013 01:19 PM
The Xmas fuel economy thread! Dave Park Tow Vehicles 8 12-15-2010 10:55 PM
Fuel economy loss ralley Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More... 12 01-06-2009 02:40 PM
Fuel economy ideas and MPG Boosting (merged threads) maxandgeorgia Tow Vehicles 104 07-23-2008 09:19 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.