Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2014, 08:27 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Inexpensive backup camera w/ multicamera options

I have no affiliation with this company and I haven't purchased one, but what I found interesting is that it supports displaying up to four cameras on your iOS or Android device, and in the accompanying video, they demonstrate it working 80 feet away from the front of the car.

iPhone Android iPad WIFI car backup camera

The transmitter is separate from the camera, so I suppose one might be able to bring the transmitter up to window level to get better reception.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." – Mark Twain​
Tomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 08:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Hi Tomy I noted this link in one of your posts the other day. This (might) have some real possibilities if it actually works as advertised.
After looking at the video, I'm wondering if one could mount it inside the back window, right up against the glass? That would make the mounting process a lot easier as getting power inside is much easier than out.

I will be interested to watch this thread and see if someone gets one and then we can find out how it works

Thanks

Doug
Old 11-07-2014, 08:51 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
Hi Tomy I noted this link in one of your posts the other day. This (might) have some real possibilities if it actually works as advertised.
After looking at the video, I'm wondering if one could mount it inside the back window, right up against the glass? That would make the mounting process a lot easier as getting power inside is much easier than out.

I will be interested to watch this thread and see if someone gets one and then we can find out how it works

Thanks

Doug
Oh I'm sorry, I couldn't remember where I came across it. I need to get back to my memory exercises .

Yeah I also though that some extras under the trailer pointing rearward to the wheels might help in tight spots, that leaves one for maybe roof mounting also facing rearward, to catch any limbs.

I may take the plunge and order one for the front of my car. I have parking assist on the rear of my car, but not on the front, and sometimes I get out of the car in a regular parking lot and realize I'm sticking out a couple of feet.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." – Mark Twain​
Tomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:08 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
Tomy,

Take a look at this one. It costs more, but it really works great. Reception is 75' for an iPhone 5 and 150' feet for a an iPhone 6. With camera systems you get what you pay for and while the one you show may be okay for backup it won't work as a rear view mirror camera.

http://Wireless iPhone Rear View Camera System

Fred
acstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:11 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
I installed a double-DIN stereo with a large screen in my truck, and two license plate cameras. One on the truck, one on the back of the Airstream. I'm in the process of rigging up two sets of off-road LEDs, one set on the props for the rear hatch, one set on the back of the Airstream. Now that it's not DST, I want to be able to light up the night when backing into a dark campsite!

Having the license plate cam means that I can hitch up by myself. I had the installer rig up a switch so that I can turn on the camera at my pleasure, great as a rear-view mirror when towing.
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:33 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomy View Post
Oh I'm sorry, I couldn't remember where I came across it. I need to get back to my memory exercises .

Yeah I also though that some extras under the trailer pointing rearward to the wheels might help in tight spots, that leaves one for maybe roof mounting also facing rearward, to catch any limbs.

I may take the plunge and order one for the front of my car. I have parking assist on the rear of my car, but not on the front, and sometimes I get out of the car in a regular parking lot and realize I'm sticking out a couple of feet.
Any rear camera is better than no camera.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:48 AM   #7
Zil
4 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
Currently Looking...
Eyren Haven , South Jersey
That looks like the camera that is part of Magellan's system.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 04:22 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
Here's the results of my backup system. I'm stoked! The view out of the rear camera is actually much better than the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-11-08 18.12.02.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	226014   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-11-08 18.12.19.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	226015  

Name:	2014-11-08 18.12.48.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	226016  
Old 11-08-2014, 04:35 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
So the cost of the system was pretty low- New stereo (necessary, the stock one in the Dodge RAM 2500 was terrible), BOSS Audio BV9362BI was $135. Each camera was under $30. Lights were $41/pair and $31/pair. 50' of RCA cable was 2X$13, for the video and power. I wound up having to buy a bunch of connectors for the power extension that I ran through the trailer, so if anyone buys a "Pyle PLCM18SC License Plate Mount Rear View Backup Parking Assist Camera, Night Vision LEDs, Built-in Distance Scale Lines, Waterproof, Zinc Black Chr" from Amazon, and wants to build an extension line, let me know. I'll give a good deal on the connectors that you need!
Old 11-09-2014, 08:06 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Apache Junction , Arizona
Where did you get the backup LEDs? I am restoring a '73 Sovereign and would like to incorporate a backup camera system like yours. Thanks.
plbalza54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:19 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I like the wired approach. It is probably much cheaper that way. You got a stereo with a video screen for $135? Since you are still outfitting the inside of the trailer, I guess it was easy to run the wires inside the trailer. I assume these are simple analog and not digital cameras? I have a home security camera system, so I assume it is the same stuff. I use RG-59 with the attached twin lead for 12V power to the cameras. Everything is BNC for video and the barrel connectors for power? Are the backup LED's part of the OEM backup lights or do you have a separate LED for the camera illumination?

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 06:20 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
I used RCA cables for video and power. I had to modify the connectors on one cable for the camera power.

These are the trailer bumper lights:
Amazon.com: Genssi AGT LED Off Road Light 4X4 Work Light Waterproof 27W 12V 6000K (60 Deg Flood) (Pack of 2): Automotive

These are the camper shell post lights:
http://goo.gl/xoQsgu
They illuminate the interior when not doing backup duty.

These are the replacement backup lights:
Amazon.com: Pair of 2 LED 4" Round Back-up Reverse Light Kits Include Grommet, Plug Clear Lens White Light Truck Trailer RV 25108C-WK: Automotive
They basically fit in the existing opening, I'm caulking them in place. They aren't very bright, I couldn't really see much in the video picture. They would have been fine for merely backing up, though. They were a match for the existing taillights the PO installed, so I leaped on them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-11-10 08.16.02.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	226169   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-11-10 08.16.50.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	226170  

Old 11-14-2014, 08:11 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
That's genius.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:20 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by acstokes View Post
Tomy,

Take a look at this one. It costs more, but it really works great. Reception is 75' for an iPhone 5 and 150' feet for a an iPhone 6. With camera systems you get what you pay for and while the one you show may be okay for backup it won't work as a rear view mirror camera.

http://Wireless iPhone Rear View Camera System

Fred
Interesting. I've just shot them a question, seeing if they'd be confident it would work with an Airstream. I tested a GoPro Hero3+, with an advertised range of 600', and the stream was far from reliable.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 09:02 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The problem with extended range is that when they test it, they test it in a wide open space. You loose signal from the back of your Airstream to the front of the tow vehicle because it has walls, curtains, and furniture, all of which block the signal. This is what makes a wired system attractive. The Voyager system works well because the camera/wireless transmitter is usually mounted high on the outside of the trailer. This way it has less obstacles/blockages. It has a straight line of sight to the tow vehicle.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 09:31 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
After dabbling with off-the-shelf wireless cams that weren't worth the box they came in, I bought a ChiCom 5W transmitter/receiver off ebay, and hooked it up to a license plate camera on the trailer.
Had a great picture but, there were a few problems:

- if I forgot to switch it off, 5W is a pretty good parasitic drain.
- if I forgot to switch it off, 5W is also a pretty big EMF bomb, right at the head of the queen bed.
- It would randomly drop out on the freeway... usually when I was near big rigs
which leads me to think
- It was probably illegal, AFA bandwidth and broadcast power

Decided to install an RVS wired system. Very happy with it. I blogged about it here.