Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 10:19 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Impressive 1/2 ton OR sales gimmick??

As we narrow our search for a new tow vehicle for our 2015 27'FB we seem to be semi narrowing in on the 2015 F-150, Lariat, crew cab, 5.5' bed. The only sales mento date who seems to know anything at all claims we could get one with the towing and max payload pkg, which would provide 12,200lbs tow capacity and ~2,800lbs payload. I do need to check on gas tank size on that, but if that's accurate, that is pretty impressive for a 1/2 ton anything and he has my attention. Since payload is probably where we are pushing the limits now, another 1,200lbs to spare is certainly appealing.

Since we are accustomed to SUV's we'll want to at least add a bed cover of some kind or possibly even a camper shell.

If ONLY GM would roll out that rumored 2016 Suburban 2500 to us normal folks.....!!!!!!
Old 07-19-2015, 10:31 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
If you want HD Payload (which includes Max Tow by default) you'll be limited to the base level of the Lariat (500A) and the longest wheelbase, or an XLT or XL. It's NOT available with SuperCrew and the 5.5' bed, it only comes on the 6.5' on SuperCrew or 8' on SuperCab.

You'll most likely have to custom order the truck if you want it in a Lariat. I'd guess the only ones you'll see in inventory at a dealer will be XL and XLT trucks set up for work at a dealership that specializes in the "white truck" trade.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 07-19-2015, 10:38 PM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Also, you can't get nav or the around-view camera package or remote start or even buckets with the console (those require the higher-luxe Lariat packages.) You can order the extended-range fuel tank, though.

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 07-20-2015, 07:27 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bozman , Maryland
Earlier it was reported (and I found out the hard way this spring) that Ford wasn't building the max payload package until fall. When I went on the configurator of the Ford website earlier this year, I could not configure a max payload package with the high capacity fuel tank or the short box in a crew cab. So, check to be sure. I found that salespeople were generally uninformed about this stuff. You have to go higher up the command ladder to get good info. Like you, I have a 27 Flying Cloud; and after driving them, my wife and I preferred not to step up to 3/4 ton. We drove gas and diesel models from Chevy and Ram. Ultimately, we found a GMC Sierra 1500 crew with the 6.2 gas engine (420 hp; 460 lb-ft. torque) with the max trailer tow package. The door sticker rates this particular truck at 1960 lbs. payload. This is a pretty loaded SLT model. Although we haven't gone out west to high altitudes and high mountains, around here, the truck doesn't break a sweat towing our trailer. Driving the truck empty back to DC from Denver, where I bought it, my fuel economy ranged from 20.9 (@80 mph) to 24.9 (@65 mph). Towing, we seem to get around 12@60 mph. The downside is that this engine requires premium gasoline. In my 10 months of shopping, this is the most actual cargo capacity I found in a half ton crew cab that's optioned up. This combination was slow to get into production and therefore hard to find. I think more are coming off the line now. If you can find one, a 2014 or earlier F-150 Lariat crew with max payload and max tow package and 3.5 liter Ecoboost engine will give you 1720 lbs. payload per the door sticker. I almost bought one of these, but just couldn't get comfortable in the seats.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:29 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bozman , Maryland
Forgot to add. The stock fuel tank on the F150 is about 20 gallons; its 26 on the Silverado/Sierra.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:45 AM   #6

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Bruce View Post
Forgot to add. The stock fuel tank on the F150 is about 20 gallons; its 26 on the Silverado/Sierra.
The stock fuel tank on the F150 is 23 gallons, the extended-range tank is 36.

See my posts above... you CAN configure the HD Payload option with the extended-range tank, but not with a short bed or with the posh packages.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:58 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
(snip) If you can find one, a 2014 or earlier F-150 Lariat crew with max payload and max tow package and 3.5 liter Ecoboost engine will give you 1720 lbs. payload per the door sticker. I almost bought one of these, but just couldn't get comfortable in the seats.
I have a 2014 Lariat with the max tow package and Eco-boost but it's payload (door sticker) is at 1546lbs.

Am I reading the payload numbers right (in the above post) that one might see (2800-lbs) out of a max tow version of the 2015 F150? If you could that would be amazing. When I talked to my local dealer the sales people did not even know that payload changed with different trim packages. So I can see in early going that they will be NO help.....lol

Thanks

Doug
Old 07-20-2015, 08:58 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
In my area diesel is less that premuim by a lot.. regular is 2.44, diesel is 2.72, premium is 3.19. Well not that much..
can you run regular gas when not towing and get the same mpg.??

Quote:
Earlier it was reported (and I found out the hard way this spring) that Ford wasn't building the max payload package until fall. When I went on the configurator of the Ford website earlier this year, I could not configure a max payload package with the high capacity fuel tank or the short box in a crew cab. So, check to be sure. I found that salespeople were generally uninformed about this stuff. You have to go higher up the command ladder to get good info. Like you, I have a 27 Flying Cloud; and after driving them, my wife and I preferred not to step up to 3/4 ton. We drove gas and diesel models from Chevy and Ram. Ultimately, we found a GMC Sierra 1500 crew with the 6.2 gas engine (420 hp; 460 lb-ft. torque) with the max trailer tow package. The door sticker rates this particular truck at 1960 lbs. payload. This is a pretty loaded SLT model. Although we haven't gone out west to high altitudes and high mountains, around here, the truck doesn't break a sweat towing our trailer. Driving the truck empty back to DC from Denver, where I bought it, my fuel economy ranged from 20.9 (@80 mph) to 24.9 (@65 mph). Towing, we seem to get around 12@60 mph. The downside is that this engine requires premium gasoline. In my 10 months of shopping, this is the most actual cargo capacity I found in a half ton crew cab that's optioned up. This combination was slow to get into production and therefore hard to find. I think more are coming off the line now. If you can find one, a 2014 or earlier F-150 Lariat crew with max payload and max tow package and 3.5 liter Ecoboost engine will give you 1720 lbs. payload per the door sticker. I almost bought one of these, but just couldn't get comfortable in the seats.
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
Old 07-20-2015, 09:11 AM   #9

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
I have a 2014 Lariat with the max tow package and Eco-boost but it's payload (door sticker) is at 1546lbs.

Am I reading the payload numbers right (in the above post) that one might see (2800-lbs) out of a max tow version of the 2015 F150? If you could that would be amazing. When I talked to my local dealer the sales people did not even know that payload changed with different trim packages. So I can see in early going that they will be NO help.....lol

Thanks

Doug
HD Payload and Max Tow are 2 distinct packages on an F150. HD Payload is only available on certain configurations and INCLUDES Max Tow. On the previous-generation truck, Max Tow included a boost in payload of a few hundred lb but HD Payload bumped it up much more. The downside is you can only get HD Payload in the longest wheelbase & box size for the cab configuration you want, and in the current-gen truck you can't get the more luxurious packages with HD Payload.

There is no package named "max payload" on an F150. HD Payload and/or Max Tow. Salesmen are confused enough, don't give them another chance to show you the wrong truck.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:02 AM   #10
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Carl I am getting astounded by the change in diesel prices. Sunday at the Kum and Go store on the corner. Regular $2.62, Diesel $2.52, Premium $3.07
Old 07-20-2015, 10:44 AM   #11
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
When I talked to my local dealer the sales people did not even know that payload changed with different trim packages.
This is actually standard with Ford. They take the best rating of the F series and then all their sales and marketing applies that to all the trucks.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:14 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Panhandle , West Virginia
Ford saved approximately 700 lbs on the body by switching to aluminum. This basically got added to payload capacity. Guesstimate around one ton payload, depending on model. Like everyone else said, HD payload ups that number significantly.

I seriously considered a '15, but ended up going with a '14 last year because I'm never an early adopter. I currently have a '14 FX4, super cab (not super crew), 6.5' bed, 5LV8, 3.73 gears, and my payload is 1400 with max towing of 9400. I think payload is where I'm also going to have a problem once we get our 'stream.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:32 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
2015 F150s while saving weight with aluminum body work etc, dropped the GVWR so the added payload never materialized except for Platinums and King Ranch trim levels. While 2014 GVWRs could go as high as 7700lbs without HD Payload, 2015 seems to be limited to 7050 GVWR without HD Payload.

Kelvin
Old 07-20-2015, 11:46 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I know a guy who purchased a new 36' sob with 3 slides.
He bought that very F150 Lariat Supercrew.
He is convinced.
It is a nice truck, but I ain't traded in my Tundra any time soon.
Was that towing capacity using the SAE J2807 standard?
When all manufacturers use that standard, then we can all compare apples to apples.
Toyota uses the SAE J2807 standard for rating tow capacities. I'm not sure if anyone else does.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
Old 07-20-2015, 11:50 AM   #15

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
I know a guy who purchased a new 36' sob with 3 slides.
He bought that very F150 Lariat Supercrew.
He is convinced.
It is a nice truck, but I ain't traded in my Tundra any time soon.
Was that towing capacity using the SAE J2807 standard?
When all manufacturers use that standard, then we can all compare apples to apples.
Toyota uses the SAE J2807 standard for rating tow capacities. I'm not sure if anyone else does.
Yes Ford uses J2807 for tow capacities. as do RAM and GM.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:51 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
One size does NOT fit all.

Not saying I'm "RIGHT" - but I'm upgrading from a 2013 EcoBoost to either a 2500 or 3500 Chevy/GMC (?RAM?). And I have a 25 EB.

The ENGINE on the EcoBoost is really good, went over Donner Pass with only moderate strain. The anti-sway built in brake controller impresses me. The computer displays on the console DO NOT impress me as they have malfunctioned frequently enough to be an irritant. The brakes and suspension verge on wimpy compared to a 2500.... that scared the spit out of me on my recent trip.

I AM A FULL TIMER - that makes a big difference. If you take your 27 ft. Airstream out 8 to 14 weekends per year... yeah, go ahead and get a slightly underbuilt tow vehicle and save money. If your family situation requires that you have two vehicles, whoever works from home can have the guzzler and whoever commutes 45 minutes each way can drive the hybrid.

LADIES, be flexible. These days, 80% of school bus drivers are women. You CAN drive the big truck... it might be just as scary as getting behind the wheel the first time when you were a teenager, but it's still just a learned skill. It is literally no harder than learning to operate a sewing machine or a stand mixer. Of course on all three of those skills there are people who barely get by and people who are determined to be somewhere between above average and expert. Decide to conquer it. If you've given birth (or gone through the hoops of adopting) and stare being a PARENT in the face every day, NOTHING should scare you. Spit in the eye of fear! What you do every day raising children is about 1000 times harder than driving anything that rides on the highways.

I've re-thunk the "all purpose vehicle" vs. the "big honkin' tow vehicle" and some backup over and over. For a single person owning two cars is just plain stupid. A motorcycle or a motorized bike as your "when it's not raining/snowing/100 degrees" second vehicle is only marginally better. Going DOWN a curvy mountain road at 35 mph while smelling something suspiciously like your wimpy little brake pads smoking... and knowing there are 7 more miles of steep grades..., and you've aleady got your brake controller set to GRAB... That IS a really good reason to get a 3/4 or 1 ton. Not going into a flop sweat once or twice a year IS sufficient reason to have a robust tow vehicle IMHO.

Most sincerely, Paula
Old 07-20-2015, 11:52 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1993 32' Excella
Woodburn , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogfan View Post
As we narrow our search for a new tow vehicle for our 2015 27'FB we seem to be semi narrowing in on the 2015 F-150, Lariat, crew cab, 5.5' bed. The only sales mento date who seems to know anything at all claims we could get one with the towing and max payload pkg, which would provide 12,200lbs tow capacity and ~2,800lbs payload. I do need to check on gas tank size on that, but if that's accurate, that is pretty impressive for a 1/2 ton anything and he has my attention. Since payload is probably where we are pushing the limits now, another 1,200lbs to spare is certainly appealing.

Since we are accustomed to SUV's we'll want to at least add a bed cover of some kind or possibly even a camper shell.

If ONLY GM would roll out that rumored 2016 Suburban 2500 to us normal folks.....!!!!!!
Unless you are generally opposed to diesel, I suggest taking a lot at the Dodge Ram Eco-Diesel. I do not own one but understand the mileage is far superior to gas engines and the capacity, both towing and payload, are better.

David Parker
1969 Sovereign (31')
1989 Dodge D-350
Old 07-20-2015, 11:53 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Los Lunas , New Mexico
F150 Tow Info

I have the new F150, 6.5 bed, Max Tow package, and love it. I got tired of the expense and upkeep on the F350. Of course, as soon as I placed my order for the F150, diesel prices dropped below gas for the first time in recent memory.

Here's the link to F150 info;

http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/g...0_r2_May19.pdf
Old 07-20-2015, 11:55 AM   #19

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidleepark View Post
Unless you are generally opposed to diesel, I suggest taking a lot at the Dodge Ram Eco-Diesel. I do not own one but understand the mileage is far superior to gas engines and the capacity, both towing and payload, are better.

David Parker
1969 Sovereign (31')
1989 Dodge D-350
EcoDiesel mileage is better. Towing is competitive. Payload is worse.

Old 07-20-2015, 12:54 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Yes Ford uses J2807 for tow capacities. as do RAM and GM.

That is good to know. Apples to apples is better for comparison and to know what you're really working with.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
Closed Thread