Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-19-2015, 11:19 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
 
Hogfan's Avatar
 
2015 27' FB International
Dallas , Texas
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 123
Blog Entries: 1
Impressive 1/2 ton OR sales gimmick??

As we narrow our search for a new tow vehicle for our 2015 27'FB we seem to be semi narrowing in on the 2015 F-150, Lariat, crew cab, 5.5' bed. The only sales mento date who seems to know anything at all claims we could get one with the towing and max payload pkg, which would provide 12,200lbs tow capacity and ~2,800lbs payload. I do need to check on gas tank size on that, but if that's accurate, that is pretty impressive for a 1/2 ton anything and he has my attention. Since payload is probably where we are pushing the limits now, another 1,200lbs to spare is certainly appealing.

Since we are accustomed to SUV's we'll want to at least add a bed cover of some kind or possibly even a camper shell.

If ONLY GM would roll out that rumored 2016 Suburban 2500 to us normal folks.....!!!!!!
__________________

__________________
Hogfan is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 11:31 PM   #2
Moderator
 
DKB_SATX's Avatar

 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,401
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 7
If you want HD Payload (which includes Max Tow by default) you'll be limited to the base level of the Lariat (500A) and the longest wheelbase, or an XLT or XL. It's NOT available with SuperCrew and the 5.5' bed, it only comes on the 6.5' on SuperCrew or 8' on SuperCab.

You'll most likely have to custom order the truck if you want it in a Lariat. I'd guess the only ones you'll see in inventory at a dealer will be XL and XLT trucks set up for work at a dealership that specializes in the "white truck" trade.
__________________

__________________
— David

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 11:38 PM   #3
Moderator
 
DKB_SATX's Avatar

 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,401
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 7
Also, you can't get nav or the around-view camera package or remote start or even buckets with the console (those require the higher-luxe Lariat packages.) You can order the extended-range fuel tank, though.
__________________
— David

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline  
Old 07-20-2015, 08:27 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member
 
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 218
Earlier it was reported (and I found out the hard way this spring) that Ford wasn't building the max payload package until fall. When I went on the configurator of the Ford website earlier this year, I could not configure a max payload package with the high capacity fuel tank or the short box in a crew cab. So, check to be sure. I found that salespeople were generally uninformed about this stuff. You have to go higher up the command ladder to get good info. Like you, I have a 27 Flying Cloud; and after driving them, my wife and I preferred not to step up to 3/4 ton. We drove gas and diesel models from Chevy and Ram. Ultimately, we found a GMC Sierra 1500 crew with the 6.2 gas engine (420 hp; 460 lb-ft. torque) with the max trailer tow package. The door sticker rates this particular truck at 1960 lbs. payload. This is a pretty loaded SLT model. Although we haven't gone out west to high altitudes and high mountains, around here, the truck doesn't break a sweat towing our trailer. Driving the truck empty back to DC from Denver, where I bought it, my fuel economy ranged from 20.9 (@80 mph) to 24.9 (@65 mph). Towing, we seem to get around 12@60 mph. The downside is that this engine requires premium gasoline. In my 10 months of shopping, this is the most actual cargo capacity I found in a half ton crew cab that's optioned up. This combination was slow to get into production and therefore hard to find. I think more are coming off the line now. If you can find one, a 2014 or earlier F-150 Lariat crew with max payload and max tow package and 3.5 liter Ecoboost engine will give you 1720 lbs. payload per the door sticker. I almost bought one of these, but just couldn't get comfortable in the seats.
__________________
DC Bruce is offline  
Old 07-20-2015, 08:29 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member
 
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 218
Forgot to add. The stock fuel tank on the F150 is about 20 gallons; its 26 on the Silverado/Sierra.
__________________
DC Bruce is offline  
Old 07-20-2015, 08:45 AM   #6
Moderator
 
DKB_SATX's Avatar

 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,401
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Bruce View Post
Forgot to add. The stock fuel tank on the F150 is about 20 gallons; its 26 on the Silverado/Sierra.
The stock fuel tank on the F150 is 23 gallons, the extended-range tank is 36.

See my posts above... you CAN configure the HD Payload option with the extended-range tank, but not with a short bed or with the posh packages.
__________________
— David

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline  
Old 07-20-2015, 09:58 AM   #7
Rivet Master
 
Arcticfox's Avatar

 
2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Bruce View Post
(snip) If you can find one, a 2014 or earlier F-150 Lariat crew with max payload and max tow package and 3.5 liter Ecoboost engine will give you 1720 lbs. payload per the door sticker. I almost bought one of these, but just couldn't get comfortable in the seats.
I have a 2014 Lariat with the max tow package and Eco-boost but it's payload (door sticker) is at 1546lbs.

Am I reading the payload numbers right (in the above post) that one might see (2800-lbs) out of a max tow version of the 2015 F150? If you could that would be amazing. When I talked to my local dealer the sales people did not even know that payload changed with different trim packages. So I can see in early going that they will be NO help.....lol

Thanks

Doug
__________________
Trying to use my camera to create memories - not photographs!
Arcticfox is offline  
Old 07-20-2015, 09:58 AM   #8
Rivet Master
 
carl2591's Avatar
 
2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 774
In my area diesel is less that premuim by a lot.. regular is 2.44, diesel is 2.72, premium is 3.19. Well not that much..
can you run regular gas when not towing and get the same mpg.??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Bruce View Post
Earlier it was reported (and I found out the hard way this spring) that Ford wasn't building the max payload package until fall. When I went on the configurator of the Ford website earlier this year, I could not configure a max payload package with the high capacity fuel tank or the short box in a crew cab. So, check to be sure. I found that salespeople were generally uninformed about this stuff. You have to go higher up the command ladder to get good info. Like you, I have a 27 Flying Cloud; and after driving them, my wife and I preferred not to step up to 3/4 ton. We drove gas and diesel models from Chevy and Ram. Ultimately, we found a GMC Sierra 1500 crew with the 6.2 gas engine (420 hp; 460 lb-ft. torque) with the max trailer tow package. The door sticker rates this particular truck at 1960 lbs. payload. This is a pretty loaded SLT model. Although we haven't gone out west to high altitudes and high mountains, around here, the truck doesn't break a sweat towing our trailer. Driving the truck empty back to DC from Denver, where I bought it, my fuel economy ranged from 20.9 (@80 mph) to 24.9 (@65 mph). Towing, we seem to get around 12@60 mph. The downside is that this engine requires premium gasoline. In my 10 months of shopping, this is the most actual cargo capacity I found in a half ton crew cab that's optioned up. This combination was slow to get into production and therefore hard to find. I think more are coming off the line now. If you can find one, a 2014 or earlier F-150 Lariat crew with max payload and max tow package and 3.5 liter Ecoboost engine will give you 1720 lbs. payload per the door sticker. I almost bought one of these, but just couldn't get comfortable in the seats.
__________________
Carl, Raleigh NC
2-24-16 got a 2005 Classic 31D
Timeshare owner/user since '99
TUG2.net check it out for good rental deals
2003 F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L PowerStroke
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline  
Old 07-20-2015, 10:11 AM   #9
Moderator
 
DKB_SATX's Avatar

 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,401
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
I have a 2014 Lariat with the max tow package and Eco-boost but it's payload (door sticker) is at 1546lbs.

Am I reading the payload numbers right (in the above post) that one might see (2800-lbs) out of a max tow version of the 2015 F150? If you could that would be amazing. When I talked to my local dealer the sales people did not even know that payload changed with different trim packages. So I can see in early going that they will be NO help.....lol

Thanks

Doug
HD Payload and Max Tow are 2 distinct packages on an F150. HD Payload is only available on certain configurations and INCLUDES Max Tow. On the previous-generation truck, Max Tow included a boost in payload of a few hundred lb but HD Payload bumped it up much more. The downside is you can only get HD Payload in the longest wheelbase & box size for the cab configuration you want, and in the current-gen truck you can't get the more luxurious packages with HD Payload.

There is no package named "max payload" on an F150. HD Payload and/or Max Tow. Salesmen are confused enough, don't give them another chance to show you the wrong truck.
__________________
— David

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline  
Old 07-20-2015, 11:02 AM   #10
Rivet Master
 
2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,245
Images: 1
Carl I am getting astounded by the change in diesel prices. Sunday at the Kum and Go store on the corner. Regular $2.62, Diesel $2.52, Premium $3.07
__________________
Gary
2015 Classic
2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax
ProPride
NĜVPN
ghaynes755 is offline  
Old 07-20-2015, 11:44 AM   #11
Full Time Adventurer
 
BoldAdventure's Avatar
 
2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
When I talked to my local dealer the sales people did not even know that payload changed with different trim packages.
This is actually standard with Ford. They take the best rating of the F series and then all their sales and marketing applies that to all the trucks.
__________________
Family of 4 living, working & exploring the USA in our Airstream.
OUR BLOG | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
BoldAdventure is offline  
Old 07-20-2015, 12:14 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Panhandle , West Virginia
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 31
Ford saved approximately 700 lbs on the body by switching to aluminum. This basically got added to payload capacity. Guesstimate around one ton payload, depending on model. Like everyone else said, HD payload ups that number significantly.

I seriously considered a '15, but ended up going with a '14 last year because I'm never an early adopter. I currently have a '14 FX4, super cab (not super crew), 6.5' bed, 5LV8, 3.73 gears, and my payload is 1400 with max towing of 9400. I think payload is where I'm also going to have a problem once we get our 'stream.
__________________
Resolute_ZS is offline  
Old 07-20-2015, 12:32 PM   #13
Rivet Master
 
KJRitchie's Avatar

 
2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,217
2015 F150s while saving weight with aluminum body work etc, dropped the GVWR so the added payload never materialized except for Platinums and King Ranch trim levels. While 2014 GVWRs could go as high as 7700lbs without HD Payload, 2015 seems to be limited to 7050 GVWR without HD Payload.

Kelvin
__________________
2008 Classic 25fb "Silver Mistress"
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins. Crew Cab, 4x4, Silver
KJRitchie is offline  
Old 07-20-2015, 12:46 PM   #14
Rivet Master
 
m.hony's Avatar
 
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 11,828
I know a guy who purchased a new 36' sob with 3 slides.
He bought that very F150 Lariat Supercrew.
He is convinced.
It is a nice truck, but I ain't traded in my Tundra any time soon.
Was that towing capacity using the SAE J2807 standard?
When all manufacturers use that standard, then we can all compare apples to apples.
Toyota uses the SAE J2807 standard for rating tow capacities. I'm not sure if anyone else does.
__________________

__________________
2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1/2 ton vs 3/4 ton towing? subfan1 Tow Vehicles 7 12-13-2007 04:10 PM
Big 3 1/2 Ton vs 3/4 Ton Trucks Streamer1 Tow Vehicles 40 11-20-2007 11:13 PM
AS Sales on the Web bonnisd Commercial Listings 9 12-08-2003 09:54 PM
Airstream Sales jcanavera Our Community 7 03-05-2003 11:06 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.