Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 06:43 PM   #29
Setats

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Brooksville , Florida
After driving a 2015 Ecodiesel I ordered a 2016 Longhorn fully loaded to tow my 2014 27'Flying Cloud. After a lot of research and then actually driving one I am going to switch from the Hemi. I have owned two RAM 1500's with the Hemi and they are an impressive engine. The Ecodiesel has outstanding fuel mileage and is one of the smoothest diesels I have ever driven. You should take a close look.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:56 PM   #30
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post

Another of our members tows an Ambassador with an EcoDiesel, his turbos are also spinning madly and not showing any signs of disintegration.
Just one water cooled turbo on the ecodiesel.

I'm pretty sure it has a bit more than 150 hours on it and it hasn't exploded yet.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Old 07-20-2015, 08:57 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Dallas , Texas
I REALLY enjoy readying everyone's responses, they are invaluable!

Paula, you are too funny! We own several 14' diesel box trucks for our business as I drive them places by myself all the time to get stuff for the house- Home Depot, stone yard, Tractor Supply, etc. Sometimes my husband chuckles and asks "do people look at you funny when you get out of that thing alone?" Usually! When we bought a Nissan NV last year the salesman laughed like "are you gonna let the wife drive it? Ah ha ha" - Gordon was like, that's nothing! So, I'm with you. I've driven large vehicles my whole life and they don't scare me one bit.

My primary reason for wanting to stay with a 1/2 ton for now is more about our daily lifestyle. We live right IN Dallas and parking is already a beast in our Tahoe half the time. We need something that can be a daily driver around town, pull our Airstream, and also carry us, two large Labradors, and our stuff :-) We own a business and work together so many days we are in just one car, and while I now drive a small SUV I suspect that if we have a brand new truck or SUV it'll be the shiny new toy and we'll want to drive it everyday! So we do need to not get ourselves trapped in small parking garages if possible.

I'm glad to hear there are several folks successfully and happily pulling 27-28' trailers with the new F150. We'll probably realistically have our trailer out 15-20 times/year or so for the next several years. Primarily in TX, AR, OK, etc but we may get up to CO sometimes too (we hope!).

If we are back to ~1700 payloads on 1/2 truck then the Suburban becomes tempting again. We've always had SUV's and do love the interior space they offer.

We do need to test drive the GMC/Chevy 2500, but for now we really love the new F150 on the truck side or the Suburban/Yukon XL on the SUV side.

Decisions.............
Old 07-20-2015, 10:18 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

Dallas , Texas
After beating this poor sales guy up all day back and forth, the latest answer is that:
- On 5.5' bed, 2020lbs is the max payload
- On 6.5' bed you can get the HD Payload, which is then 2420
- He said "you can get a spring pin after market to increase that"
- He said you'd have to order the HD payload
Old 07-20-2015, 10:46 PM   #33

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Sounds strangely familiar.

Don't fiddle with aftermarket springs right off, especially not if you're going to order the HD Payload truck in the first place. I suspect it will do pretty well as long as you're not carrying a lot of gold bars or buckets of lead shot in the bed, and it will likely handle VASTLY better with the stock suspension setup than some aftermarket buckboard springs.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
Old 07-21-2015, 06:38 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
I just bought a 2015 last Thursday but in that process went through the order sheets checking on ordering just in case. There are a few caveats as shared already. First the fuel tank on the new model is 23 gallons, the payloads have gone up but is all is about configuration. I jumped because Ford is offering rebates as a way to get customers back after not having many trucks in stock at dealers for three months waiting for the Kansas City plant to tool up. They are for a limited time- like a month or so for two of them at least.

On the build sheets the HD payload is only available with the 5.0 engine right now. That said, I did not pursue the 2.7 small eco so I may be incorrect on items on that engine. The salesman and I literally went through the lot staring a payload stickers on many models- XLT, Lariat, King Ranch, Platinum. One definite trend was that the higher the trim level, the lower the payload most often. There were some XLT models with payloads over 2300#, something never seen when we looked at the year end clearance on the lot for 2014 models. In Nov I read that Toyota and Ford were the only two using SAE J2807 standards on their current models it is listed right in their publications. Perhaps the other companies changed recently? My truck's payload is stickered at 1720#.

As to my own experience shopping, my two favorite trucks are the Ford and Dodge style-wise. I was not that impressed with the ecodiesel. I had a 2010 VW TDI sportwagen and was burned by the potential of issues on the high pressure fuel injection ($10K to replace), the higher cost of diesel fuel (seems to be dropping for now) and the higher cost to buy. It is treated like a novelty at the dealer and they even told me to go with the hemi for really towing something like my trailer. Then there was the payload and tow rating. I am not sure that the Ram 1500 diesel was designed for bigger tow jobs- more like the 2.7 ecoboost as a moderate. It had a tow rating of I believe he said 8200# and the payload was low BUT it road like a crossover. Now, I already calculated from my own TDI experience that higher fuel cost as was in my area ate away the equivalent of 2mpg without the use of UREA or DEF. That stuff is about 0.15 per 100 miles. Not too much but still a cost. I am not convinced yet that the modern diesel is the super reliable diesel of yore with all that specialized systems used to operate them. The Mercedes I had was like a tank with a drip type heavy duty injection system. The VW, as I mentioned was nothing like it at all- much more to go wrong and very expensive to fix if it breaks. Oh and get this, the Bosch injection systems state that they require a particular mixture of lubricant in the fuel that is not available in the U.S. When that story broke VW acknowledged it but said it would be OK. They are not Bosch. This of course is VW and not Dodge but this all was going through my head at the time of shopping.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:08 AM   #35
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Whatever you decide, make sure you don't have to wear spurs on your boots.

1989 FSuperduty, 460ci, ZF5420S trans, Dana 80 rear with 5.38. , 8' x 12' diamond plate bed with a Warn 12K winch. Very civilized and over qualified.

The new trucks are nice, but I just cant see spending what they are asking, especially when I can get an awesome medium duty truck for a fraction of the cost of new. My mileage is very good. 12-14 unloaded, 9-10 loaded with 3 cu yd of rock, 6-8 when having some fun. Insurance is much, much cheaper and replacement parts are in abundance. Besides, Ronald Reagan was president when this one was made.

There seems to be a lot of hair splitting here on what can pull / haul what. Take a look at the Kodiak and TopKick trucks. If you are going camping, the last concern will be "will it pull it?" Proven drivetrain combinations and less than a new whatever. If you have to have a brand new shiny truck that's OK. I understand.
Old 07-21-2015, 12:59 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Impressive 1/2 ton OR sales gimmick??

LOL on the older truck so true! I have to share that my insurance dropped about $30 yr with the new truck go figure. When I asked why he said v6 versus v8. Yes the new trucks are scary expensive at least to me.

Btw the 2300# payload XLTs we found were 5.5 beds. They only had one 6.5 bed model and a few 8 and I did not look at them.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:59 PM   #37
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Mountain View , California
F-150 w/max payload

Since you asked, I can report that our new F-150 Platinum with max-tow & 36 gallon fuel tank has just returned from a 2,000 mile tour of the Pacific Northwest pulling a 27'FB without any issues. Compared to our former TV, a Dodge Ram 3500 Van with a 4.9 ltr. engine, it was silk smooth and a real pleasure to drive. It was necessary to special order this vehicle as there were none to be found at a Dealer in February, but that issue may be resolved by now. Also, the Eco-boost 3.5 ltr. motor is quite efficient, the mileage was 12mpg average, and the dual turbo chargers have a great sound when they kick in. (For the first time, I bought the extended warranty just to be sure it holds up for 100k. miles.)
One surprise from Ford was that a 1,000 mile break-in was required prior to our first tow. I thought that went out in the '60's, however there are so many features on the new rig that on reflection, I'm glad that I spent that time to learn what I had prior to towing. Finally, the Costco auto program saved us a bunch off the invoice price, so if you have that program available check it out.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:08 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

Dallas , Texas
Thanks JFRINALDI! Yours is max tow, but NOT HD payload, correct?
Old 07-22-2015, 09:38 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

Dallas , Texas
Thanks again everyone! Truly appreciate all of your examples, experiences and insights. VERY helpful to get your real life feedback! :-)
Old 07-22-2015, 10:29 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Impressive 1/2 ton OR sales gimmick??

HD payload package was only available in long box trucks with steel wheels only in previous 2014 F150.XLT base model only.

Max tow is a completely different option that gives you larger mirrors and upgraded rear bumper and requires you to order specific options in addition.
People get these confused.

I does not matter what it's rated to pull if it's not rated for the payload that is required for your trailer tongue weight, passengers,and things you will be putting in the truck.If you weigh more than 150lbs add that to your payload also.

The majority of dealership sales people and their managers have know clue when it comes to equipping a new truck to pull your Airstream properly.Do your home work ask for a towing guide.
Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 07-22-2015, 10:40 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
Max tow does not give you the larger mirrors on a 2015. You have to order the tow mirrors. It does give you different bumper and the hd coolers and if your trim doesn't already include it, the brake controller. Also I believe the 3.31 ELock differential is included. I have a 2015 Platinum FX4 with Max tow. Did not order the larger tow mirrors as I didn't like the look as much for those times towing. Waiting on the slide on extensions that I pull off when not towing.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:04 AM   #42
3 Rivet Member

Woodland , California
Have to wait until 2016 model year for F150 Heavy Duty option

I have been looking for a decent TV for a 25FB FC, and the sweet spot for the F150 seems to be the 3.5L EcoBoost XLT Supercrew 6.5' bed with Heavy Duty Payload option, which automatically selects the Max Tow option and 3.73 axle ratio for you. The XLT trim appears to maximize payload and offer more of the options that I want than the Lariat trim, for some reason. Unfortunately Ford has cancelled all existing HD optioned orders and postponed availability for HD until the 2016 model year. Just as well for me since I have yet to take the plunge on the Airstream purchase, but a disappointment for a lot of F150 buyers.