Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2007, 01:31 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
If you're thinking about doing it...

don't!

A guy stopped by our trailer earlier this morning when he saw our Airstream and my drift boat parked together on our site here at Yellowstone's Edge RV Park, south of Livingston, MT.

He wanted to know whether I ever towed my Airstream (30' Classic) with my drift boat (16' Clackacraft) hitched behind it.

I told him I didn't do that, and in fact for various reasons would never even consider doing it.

He said he was driving to Montana from Texas 2 weeks ago with his Ford Excursion, towing a 32' Excella, and with his raft on a trailer behind it. He said he'd had a welding shop weld a receiver on the rear of his Airstream frame so he could tow his raft behind it.

While driving across Colorado, his Airstream and raft trailer started swaying uncontrollably, and it ended by him totalling his Excursion, Airstream and raft. Luckily, no one was injured.

Now, he's driving a rental car and staying in a motel - a tough way to spend a vacation. He said he still feels terrible about it, and I'm sure he does.

I know there's plenty of advice on this forum about not hitching things on the back of Airstreams. This fellow said he had sometimes read this forum, but never read that specific advice.

So, one more time: If you're thinking of doing something like that, maybe you should think again what might happen.

John
Old 07-08-2007, 01:51 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
You just gotta wonder sometimes what people are thinking.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 02:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
I'd be afraid the Airstream would sink. What kind of hitch, sway control, for that matter electrical connection on that drift boat?

Kistler
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 03:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kistler
I'd be afraid the Airstream would sink. What kind of hitch, sway control, for that matter electrical connection on that drift boat?

Kistler
You know, I asked him that question too, and I don't think he was even sure what type of hitch and sway control he had.

John
Old 07-08-2007, 03:54 PM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I've seen this setup with SOBs before, never a good idea. I wonder how many miles someone would run with a flat tire on the rear trailer before they noticed? A few years ago a MO pulling a toad started a forest fire (Colorado I think) when the toad had a flat tire and they pulled it on the rim throwing sparks and melted wheel into the trees. The MO driver did not have a clue that something was wrong. I think the forest service was going after them to pay for the cost of fighting the fire.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 03:55 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Lebanon , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Roadschooler
Drift Boat

We are considering buying a Clackacraft ourselves (nice drift boat ). How do you transport both it and the Airstream at the same time.

Thanks for posting and allowing us to learn from this unfortunate incident.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:52 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadschooler
We are considering buying a Clackacraft ourselves (nice drift boat ). How do you transport both it and the Airstream at the same time.
A large rack on top of the F250, and get a couple of he-men to remove it?
Old 07-08-2007, 05:10 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadschooler

Thanks for posting and allowing us to learn from this unfortunate incident.
The drift boat stays permanently in Montana. Although we have been towing our Airstream back to PA, and putting it in storage there during the winter, we're going to leave it here with the drift boat when we go home to PA in October if we are able to find an inside storage here that is large enough.

There are several places in the Bozeman area that rent 50' storage units that we're on the waiting list for and hopefully one will become available by then.

I do have a ladder rack for the back of my truck and put my 85 pound cataraft on it, but the 280 pound drift boat is a few more pounds than I'm presently able to lift over my head.

John
Old 07-08-2007, 05:32 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Lebanon , Ohio
Heavy

That drift boat is heavy. Just what I figured, too heavy for on top of the truck cap. Oh well, we'll stick to kayaks. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:35 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Lebanon , Ohio
He-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
A large rack on top of the F250, and get a couple of he-men to remove it?
I've only got one of those, I'd need at least another to lift that drift boat on and off the top of the truck. I'd be NO help.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:43 PM   #11
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Great story John. We've all talked about not doing this for years and this is but one example of why not, let alone the obvious we all know, it'll damage your Airstream trailer no question about it, even if you are lucky and don't put the shiney side down like this guy did.....
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:57 PM   #12
Streamline Imperial

Currently Looking...
Bellflower , California
Exclamation

That person was crazy, all right, but not the craziest; I read of some guy trying to move a long distance in one trip getting pulled over with a contrived train of five vehicles!

I think that some states allow 3-trailer big rigs (or are considering it), but I know that in California, passenger vehicles may tow only ONE trailer!

1971 Streamline Imperial project "Silver Snausage", 1985 Coleman tent trailer, 1964 Little Dipper, 1975 Northwest "Proto Toyhauler", 2004 Harbor Freight folding, still seeking my Airstream.
SilvrSausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 05:21 AM   #13
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Anybody know if they still allow "Michigan Gravel Trains?" One semi tractor pulling several trailers. I know they still do this in Australia, where it's a thousand miles between towns, and nothing between.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:31 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Orinda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvrSausage
but I know that in California, passenger vehicles may tow only ONE trailer!
Unless they changed the law in last 3 years this is incorrect.
I was ready to get double trailer permit, while driving my SUV with travel trailer and PWC to the lake, but later on found $20/month storage at the lake, so dropped the idea. All it took at the time is drive the set to DMV and pass driving exam.
Here is signature picture from other forum
Kajtek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 06:08 PM   #15
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Anybody know if they still allow "Michigan Gravel Trains?" One semi tractor pulling several trailers. I know they still do this in Australia, where it's a thousand miles between towns, and nothing between.
They are allowed in Idaho and Oregon. You will regularly see 3 trailers behind one tractor.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 06:39 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I've only seen one instance of a truck with box loaded with gear, then a 25' SOB and behind it a boat on trailer loaded to the hilt with "stuff". They were on the side of the road with a State Trooper, lights flashing, having a "discussion" with the driver who appeared quite animated.

On our return later that afternoon the boat was sitting, emptied of it's gear, quite a ways off the road.

Barry
Old 12-28-2007, 06:49 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
I think that some states allow 3-trailer big rigs (or are considering it), but I know that in California, passenger vehicles may tow only ONE trailer!
You can tow 2 trailers in California. You need a class "A" license to do so.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 08:20 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
It might work with a Hensley hitch on back of the Airstream

just kidding
Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote