Old 08-29-2015, 07:30 PM   #43
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Either way Lia, you can move the installed P2/P3 to another TV in the future, or the RF stays with the AS & can also be moved.

If you do the RF & run into any problems, feel free to PM/email me or anyone else on here who has one. I think you'll like the hand controller over the under dash controls.

I think you can do it just fine - maybe easier than the underdash unit too - & it's only about an hour or so +/- to mount it - a pro in 15-30 mins if they're charging you hourly for it!

Don't forget to order that 7-pin to 7-pin adapter noted above to resolve any pairing problems.

.... that is .... unless you need to make up a bracket plate & want to paint it to match the A-frame, dry time between coats, etc. & stuff like I did with our Avion.

The battery box mount mentioned above should be pretty straightforward.

Maybe Switz can post some pix here of his mount?
"switz
We mounted the Prodigy RF control box on the front face of the battery box on the 23D so it was positioned cross frame. There was no space on the "A" frame after the Hensley was attached.

On the 25FB, we made some stand off brackets to put the Prodigy RG box over the Hensley brackets on the street side of the "A" frame."

I don't know which WD/anti-sway hitch you're going with, but having the RF box out of the way on the A-frame's side rails may still be an advantage for mounting any of the flavors.

Also - budget is budget, & sometimes $100/hr is just the principal of things!

Good Luck!
Tom
///////

1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-14 Cayenne S
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner)
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 08:14 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Will hopefully pickup the 23D on 15 September after the modifications are completed. Will take some photos then.

The Prodigy RF is mounted near the bottom edge of the front vertical panel of the battery box.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 03:56 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Old Bridge , New Jersey
Saga continues

Harv, you are absolutely correct. 60,00 for TV and 60,00 for Airstream. I had no problem spending $80 on non-refundable parts. I have a problem paying $100 dollars an hour to someone who will TRY to install the brake controller. I beleive $100 dollars an hour is only deservant of the mechanic who is ABLE to install the controller.

So, I get to Colonial Airstream. They assured me in service dept. that they have no problem installing a Tekonsha P2 in to a Touareg. At $285 installed, I quickly agreed. I am holding my breath until Wednesday, the install day. Will keep ya'll posted.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:32 PM   #46

2016 23' Flying Cloud
henderson , Nevada
LiaG, Haven't read this entire thread, but..I got my controller installed at LazyDays Tuscon, AZ. It took a couple hours due to the technician searching for Touareg factory wires under dash. I provided VW parts and details found on 2015 touareg brake controller install - Club Touareg Forums
Turned out the wires were further toward the right side (above key slot) and tucked way up. After he found them it was a done deal and all works as a charm. None of the 4 VW dealerships I checked with knew anything helpful.

If anyone cares, I used a Redarc TowPro Tow-Pro™ Electric Trailer Brake Controller - REDARC Purchased off eBay seller bestbuy-au . The controller knob (size of cigarette lighter) fits well next to light switch on my 2016 Touareg TDI.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:04 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Old Bridge , New Jersey
Surprise Ending

So, reading all the horrible reviews about Camping World, I vowed never to use their service. I was proven wrong.

When I was inquiring about a WD and sway control at Scotty's RV in New Jersey we got to talk about a brake controller, how it's illegal to drive a trailer without one and I was looking for someone to install it in my Touareg. Bill told me he will make some phone calls. Several days later he told me to go see Volkswagen of Freehold. So I make an appointment and go see them the next morning. They have never done this before but know what a brake controller is. Once we got in to the detailed instructions of the install they realized the parts I needed are not in stock. They also mentioned there is a guy at the Local Camping World that could do this install, no sweat.

So, I order parts and head to Camping World the next morning with VW parts that cost me $40, exactly half of what the dealer in Florida wanted (?). The advisor was amazing. We went on the e-trailer website and printed all the instructions, photos and wiring diagrams for the tech to reference. 4 hours later my Touareg was returned to me with brake controller installed, tested.

Must back up to my delivery day with Colonial Airstream. The service dept. assured me that they can wire the brake controller to my Touareg, they do it all the time. On the day of my delivery, 5 minutes after they took my car, they informed me that it is not wired for the brake controller and again tried to sell me the wireless Tekonsha at $600. Good thing I am stubborn and told them I'll be back to pick up my trailer when I install the brake controller I want.

Last but not least, after much research, decided to go with a Husky Centerline WD system.
Old 09-12-2015, 03:19 PM   #48
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Wooo - hooo!

Now you're ready to roll Lia - congratz!

Now you need to post some pix of your full rig on your first trip - maybe over on that Cayenne/Tauoreg/Q7 topic - for all to see!

Just so ya know - $309 for the RF from etrailer, so they were charging double that price (a sale price to be fair, but still way jacked up!) ....

Tekonsha Prodigy RF Wireless Trailer Brake Controller - 1 to 3 Axles - Proportional Tekonsha Brake Controller 90250

IIRC I paid about $275 in July 2012 for on from etrailer - also on sale, but they've gone up quite a bit I see at the above link.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
Old 09-12-2015, 08:36 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

2012 23' FB International
Warrington , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
The only part of the Prodigy RF system inside or attached to the tow vehicle is a remote the size of a pack of cigarettes that needs to be plugged into a 12Vdc cigarette lighter socket.

There can be synch issues with some vehicles.

The Prodigy RF control head mounted on the trailer does require power from the tow vehicle battery which is usually passed onwards into the trailer to charge the trailer battery. The Prodigy pigtail plugs into the tow vehicle seven way plug. The trailer pigtail then plugs into the seven way receptacle on the Prodigy.

Thus the tow vehicle must have the properly wired seven way plug just as if the trailer was plugging directly into the tow vehicle socket.

Totally agree. Been using the Prodigy RF for. While now and we love it. Only problem is the initial pairing. High end German vehicles has a pin out that the prodigy doesn't like during pairing. But once paired works like a charm.
Old 08-28-2016, 01:53 PM   #50
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Los Angeles , California
Hey folks - i'm trying to troubleshoot my Prodify RF setup on my Cayenne - but first a little background:

1. I have a Cayenne S 2012 + Prodigy RF: i previously towed an FC20, and operation was fine, and the Cayenne charged the batteries if they were low which was tested by checking the Victron battery monitor i added.

2. I have the same Cayenne S + Prodigy RF: i now have an international 28w and towing operation is fine. however, on the last trip batteries were low (55% according to my Victron monitor that i added again!) and i noted that the batteries were NOT getting a charge from Cayenne S while connected and car running etc. i WAS getting a charge from solar, but nothing additional from Cayenne.

Since getting home, I've tested the ground + charge on the original tow harness cabling on the 28w while disconnected from Cayenne and Prodigy - to just ensure i dont have a disconnected run from the tow cable to battery; and it shows the correct voltage. therefore i know the trailer side makes a good connection to battery.

checking the Prodigy RF tow cable (connected to trailer, not to vehicle) in the same manner shows zero current. should i be getting 12v pass through the prodigy? or is something wrong here?

any troubleshooting suggestions? anyone using a prodigy RF/Cayenne or Touereg and see something like this?

cheers!

chris
Old 08-29-2016, 09:39 AM   #51
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Los Angeles , California
an update to this -

i connected the Cayenne and checked power out with - no 12v. i plugged it in to the Prodigy RF and tested its connection out - 12v was on. So mystery is even deepened: i appear to be getting 12v from Cayenne through Prodigy - and those same connections appear to go TO the battery..so why isnt it charging?

c
Old 08-29-2016, 11:47 AM   #52
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Howard , Ohio
Look in your manual for your AS wiring diagram that shows the 7pin connector. You should have a 10ga black wire coming from the 7pin connector to a positive bus located at the front of your AS. From there, a 6ga red wire should go to your battery positive terminal directly. Follow the connections through and confirm 12V at each connection. The diagram shows some breakers in place here also. Check those out also.
Porsche Cayenne Diesel
Ohiobrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 03:11 PM   #53
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Since you're getting power thru the Tek-RF, try bypassing it to the Cay in parked state, engine running, & see if you get a charge to the battery - in addition to the above (unless that's what you did in your update - I'm not clear on that).

If it doesn't charge that way, then do the stuff in the the above post to trace your AS wiring would be the next step to see if you have a bad connection, relay, etc. in the AS.

The Victron battery monitor & the charging circuit & other parts thereof may also be bad, bad connection, or fighting with each-other in the circuitry to cause intermittent charging in your test states which you've tried above.

Otherwise, it could be something with the 7-pin connector at the Cay, &/or the Euro 7-pin adapter mentioned above in this thread - if you're using one. Either could fail or have a bad connection.

If you isolate it to the Cay, then let Porsche find the electrical problem - especially if you still have a warranty/CPO now.

Good Luck!
Tom
///////
Old 05-07-2017, 03:15 PM   #54
1 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
SACRAMENTO , California
2014 Touareg, failed Prodigy

When we bought our 20' AS, we also bought a 2014 Touareg TDI TV with factory hitch. After much research, mostly on this forum, we decided to go with the Prodigy RF. The local AS dealer sold us the unit, but failed to inform us or sell us the LED adapter. This was out first experience with their customer service, which was great.

Three years later, I picked up the AS from storage where it is plugged in to a circuit that is live 6 hours/day. All is good until about 1 mile into the 3 mile trip home, the remote shows "oL", overload. That means that the controller isn't working at all. Ack! I finish the short trip home with no incidents, grateful for the powerful Touareg brakes.

The next morning I spent quite a bit of time and a few calls with the support folk again. One guy even called me back when my cell phone disconnected part way through the call. We run through several scenarios, all resulting in an oL, then hook it up to our CRV and that also results in an oL. They sent us a new unit, (they were out of stock, so this guy found one in their engineering dept) next day shipping at no charge. It worked just like it is supposed to.

Hats off to these guys for going above and beyond. Would recommend highly!
Old 05-08-2017, 01:39 PM   #55
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Tekonsha does have a good warranty on their items, as well as good customer service John.

I don't know if you ever got the adapter, as well as for others reading on here - these are the 2 that eTrailer & others have recommended, but you should google for best price, then eTrailer will match 110% (I just did for the Tekonsha/Tow-Ready one).

Both of these below are specifically made for the Cayenne/Touareg/Q7 & other Euro SUV TVs.

Tekonsha/Tow-Ready:
https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Tow-Ready/20142.html

Curt:
https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-...rt/C57003.html

While I'm still looking for the right CayS for us, I got this early cuz we've experienced a similar problem with the last 2 rented 2017 Ford F250s, but never with the prior era F250s - so they've apparently done something different with the new USA trucks too, & adapters may become necessary on many more TVs.

Note that we do NOT have LED lights on our vintage kin 1960 Avion T20, but the Tekonsha RF acted up both times with off-n-on with "garbage symbols+ in the hand set's read-out when I braked & intermittent n.c. readings, but the last time it would not run the tail & running lights, but signals & brake lights did work. So that may have been a faulty Ford 7-blade connector &/or harness as well.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
Old 05-09-2017, 10:02 PM   #56
1 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
SACRAMENTO , California
Helpful links, Tom. Actually, I procured the TowReady from Amazon with same day delivery. I wanted to have everything on hand and ready to make sure the replacement controller worked properly.

One thing the Tekonsha rep mentioned is that on overload condition can be caused when you plug in right away after returning from a trip. We've added a new step to our process - when we unplug the trailer from the TV, we also unplug the trailer from the Prodigy so any overcharge issue won't affect the controller. Ya learn something new every day!