Old 08-24-2015, 10:25 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Sea Girt , New Jersey
I have tried every VW dealer from Bradenton to Naples, FL. Today will try Tampa and St. Pete. Also, will try New Jersey dealers, since that's where I pick up my trailer.

Tom, you have ESP, like me, we both see right through BS. I hope you told the dealer that you noticed what they did.

Old 08-24-2015, 11:31 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Ashland , Kentucky
If you're going to be up in St. Pete (they have a VW dealer - Bert Smith) you may want to call Hitch World (727)548-5700, info@hitchworldinc.com located at 9033 66th Street North
Pinellas Park, FL 33782. They wired my P3 into the Mercedes which is just as complex as the Touareg. They issue is to get it to work with the cars stability computer - you need to tell them what model you have and they get a connector that permits the controller to communicate with the cars computer. Sounds fancier than it really is but it is worth the effort. Alternatively, just about any hitch/trailer shop can wire it directly to your brake lights but that takes stability control out of the equation.

Held together with the Husky Centerline Hitch
LongShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:35 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Sea Girt , New Jersey
Longshot,
Thank you, I will give them a call first thing in the morning.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:52 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We mounted the Prodigy RF control box on the front face of the battery box on the 23D so it was positioned cross frame. There was no space on the "A" frame after the Hensley was attached.

On the 25FB, we made some stand off brackets to put the Prodigy RG box over the Hensley brackets on the street side of the "A" frame.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:24 AM   #33
1 Rivet Member

Willoughby , Ohio
What about a Porsche dealer?

There is the also unlikely possibility that it doesn't have the wiring. If it doesn't have the 7pin connector by the hitch, this may be the case.

Good luck.

John
Old 08-26-2015, 03:11 PM   #34
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
We mounted the Prodigy RF control box on the front face of the battery box on the 23D so it was positioned cross frame. There was no space on the "A" frame after the Hensley was attached.

On the 25FB, we made some stand off brackets to put the Prodigy RG box over the Hensley brackets on the street side of the "A" frame.
LiaG, mounting the RF unit up & crosswise on the A-frame in front of the LP tanks was my other option (but was way more work), & so long as the LP tanks won't block the RF - Switz's solution above may be your best bet for the RF since the battery box it there on the AS, if you don't do the underdash Prodigy.

Harv's suggestion that the wiring is missing is unlikey, since it's part of the overall harness nowadays, but some of the wiring & connectors at the end could be missing - especially if the dealer "borrowed" them to fit a tow option to another customer's Touareg (back in the 60's-90's some unscrupulous Porsche dealers used to steal the alloy spare tire/wheels off new cars & substitute steel ones, then sell 4 stolen spares at 100% profit! :-(.

I'll be reporting that DE Porsche dealer to my buddy the Porsche NA service tech manager for cheating & misleading buyers. Other dealerships have lost franchises over such BS.

As noted above, both Porsche & Audi dealerships could be an option, but you'll first want VWoA to supply you with the plug/pigtail part which you paid for with your tow option. So also ask the other dealerships if they can order it for you, or call VWoA & raise hell!

Good Luck in T/SP!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-14 Cayenne S
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner)
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:32 AM   #35
1 Rivet Member

Willoughby , Ohio
Your right, there is probably no way it's not there.

When I inquired to my local VW dealers parts department about a recommended brake controller, he said "we don't have one" and in one fluid movement he handed me the connector and two yellow wires with male spades on them "but your going to need these".

John
Old 08-27-2015, 10:27 AM   #36
1 Rivet Member

Willoughby , Ohio
That connector and spades allows you to connect a brake controller to the Touareg's wiring harness without cutting anything.

Sorry for the extra post. I couldn't figure out how to edit the one above.

John
Old 08-27-2015, 11:26 AM   #37
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
That connector and spades allows you to connect a brake controller to the Touareg's wiring harness without cutting anything.

Sorry for the extra post. I couldn't figure out how to edit the one above.

John

It's my understanding that that adapter also has a resistor to step the electrical from the Euro standard to our USA standard, as does the 7-pin adapter that I quoted from Boo in an earlier post above, so the controllers can correctly "talk" to the car's electronics & change the engine's & transmission's computers' to adapt to the tow mode shift patterns etc. - as well as the braking (similar to the USA pick-ups where you have to push the tow mode button to adapt everything, but VW/Audi/Porsche do so automatically).

John - fyi the edit button is down on the lower right of the message where the quote, etc. buttons are, but disappears after some amount of time.

Hopefully Lia gets hers squared away soon!
Tom
///////
Old 08-27-2015, 12:58 PM   #38
1 Rivet Member

Willoughby , Ohio
Thanks Tom for the advise. Yea some time had passed.

The connector that you buy from VW is a blank connector with no wires or anything. 100% plastic. The wires you buy from them are two yellow wires with the male spade connectors on each. You cut these in two so now you have 4. They slide into the back of the connector and snap in place. The connector is numbered so using the posted Teconsha Tec bulletin you know what wires go where.

John
Old 08-28-2015, 03:07 PM   #39
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
Thanks Tom for the advise. Yea some time had passed.

The connector that you buy from VW is a blank connector with no wires or anything. 100% plastic. The wires you buy from them are two yellow wires with the male spade connectors on each. You cut these in two so now you have 4. They slide into the back of the connector and snap in place. The connector is numbered so using the posted Teconsha Tec bulletin you know what wires go where.

John
John -

The one I'd seen in a used Cayenne glovebox that we test drove had all the wires & connectors all put together - no assembly required - unless the PO had done it, then placed it back in the glovebox after removing their controller??

Go Figure!?
Tom
///////
Old 08-28-2015, 04:10 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Sea Girt , New Jersey
I went to pick up the parts that I ordered from VW for wiring a Tekonsha P3 or P2. One mechanic in Ft. myers was willing to try this wiring job for $100 bucks an hour. I was told that I cannot return these parts even if I don't open the package.

He disappeared after seeing my sour face for 20 minutes. Came back and told me that they will take it back with a 30% re-stocking fee. I told him to keep the parts.

So This now solidefied my decision on getting the Prodigy RF. By the time I pay for these parts and installation plus all the aggravation I will just get the RF. Hope that's easy enough to be installed by a dumb woman.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:11 PM   #41
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Nowhere , Somewhere
A hundred an hour us about the going rate here in Fl. Why didn't you have him install it?
Old 08-29-2015, 07:49 AM   #42
1 Rivet Member

Willoughby , Ohio
Wait a min. I don't mean to sound insensitive but you've bought a TV that pushes 60K and an Airstream that's close to that too and you won't take a gamble on 30.$ in parts and 100 dollars in labour?

Take a deep breath, buy the parts, find a better dealer.

John