Old 08-23-2015, 03:21 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
My 2007 Mercedes ML320 CDI was one of the first ones built in October of 2006 for the 2007 model year. The first three months production of this "new" model failed to have any wiring from the right rear to the brake pedal area of the car for towing despite the fact I ordered the car with all options including the tow package.

Thus we had to use the Tekonsha RF Prodigy. It worked as advertised and was mounted along the street side of the "A" frame of the 25FB. We have now moved it to the 23D and mounted it cross frame to the front wall of the battery box.

With this new installation, we discovered a modulation in the brake application that coincided withe the flashing of the turn signals and or the emergency flasher. The turn signal modulation issue was resolved with installation of a 6 Ohm 50 watt resistor to ground on each turn signal but the four way flasher issue remains as such. This is a non fixable issue with my vintage Mercedes and the Prodigy.

One thing we had to make sure of in the Prodigy installation is the 12Vdc power from the tow vehicle to charge the trailer battery is operational as that also powers the Prodigy brake system.

Since we are retrofitting a lithium iron battery inside the trailer to replace the two external stock wet cell Interstate batteries, we have to cap off this charge wire inside the trailer at the wiring junction so the tow vehicle can not charge the new battery as the voltage from the tow vehicle is too low and not controlled for stages.

Underway, the solar system will charge the trailer battery.

The inside the tow vehicle Prodigy control module had sat in the storage unit along with the main box for nearly two years without being connected to any power (cigarette lighter socket). When power was applied in the new installation, they were still in synch. The inside the tow vehicle remote control can be swapped between different tow vehicles as long as there is a cigarette lighter socket to plug into for power.

I believe there is a seven year warranty on the system.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 04:03 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
mamaroneck , New York
I gave up also on finding the wiring on my Touareg and have had great luck with the Prodigy. I have a new Prodigy , never paired , I could send you if you'd like to try it. $250 if you keep it. Its a long story as how I ended up with two.

Old 08-23-2015, 04:08 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Franklin , Indiana
I've used the Prodigy RF with great results and it is nice to be able to use with any TV.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:15 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I noticed on the iTrailer website that they say that additional wires may be necessary to install a Prodigy on a Touareg
Old 08-23-2015, 04:39 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The only part of the Prodigy RF system inside or attached to the tow vehicle is a remote the size of a pack of cigarettes that needs to be plugged into a 12Vdc cigarette lighter socket.

There can be synch issues with some vehicles.

The Prodigy RF control head mounted on the trailer does require power from the tow vehicle battery which is usually passed onwards into the trailer to charge the trailer battery. The Prodigy pigtail plugs into the tow vehicle seven way plug. The trailer pigtail then plugs into the seven way receptacle on the Prodigy.

Thus the tow vehicle must have the properly wired seven way plug just as if the trailer was plugging directly into the tow vehicle socket.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 04:42 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Thanks Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
If the colors you are referring to are the ones on the brake controller, I think black is power, white is ground, blue is trailer brake output, and red is brake switch cold wire.
I apologize for the error. I recently sold my P3 since my new truck came with a built-in controller. I looked on the Tekonsha web site for the wiring instructions and couldn't find any.

Looks like amazongb found them. Also interesting about the extra wires perhaps being required.

jackand dianes offer seems very attractive were I in this situation.

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 04:49 PM   #21
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Lia & Others,

I understand that there is an adapter plug & pigtail which is supposed to come with all 3 of the Touareg, Cayenne & Audi Q7 (probably Macan & Q5/S5) when you get the factory tow option, which usually is put in the glovebox with the manuals/etc., which is used for adaptive plug-n-play from the Euro system to our USA brake controllers.

I'm going by what others have told me who have bought these vehicles new, & who have posted on this & the Touareg & Cayenne (RennList) specific owners' forums (like this is for AS etc. owners).

Lia - if you bought it new - tell the dealer the plug was supposed to come with the factory tow option & to get it for you at no cost, then they should be able to install the Tekonsha Prodigy for you. If you bought used, then contact the seller & ask if he/she still has it & to get it for you. Otherwise I think you'll have to buy one.

Also, use that link to the Touareg owners forum I put in your other post, & register as a member & post your question on how to wire it in yourself.

You can to the Tekonsha RF, but you'll need to PM the guy "Boo" on your other topic who said he had problems with it pairing. Here's what he PMed me about the adapter for that RF unit, which I assume does the same theink to adapt from Euro standards as that other plug unit for the underdash controllers.

Boo's info -
"OK the part did the trick! It's an add-on to the 7 pin connector provided by my hitch installer. "7 to 7 Adapter with Resistance: Part #D20142". If you have any questions please contact Lampert Hitch in Denver, CO. 303.433-8746 and ask for Jason. Happy Trails! Boo"

$600 for an Tek RF is horse puckey! I think I paid $275 for mine in July 2012 from etrailer.com & you can google for it & shop for best price - same with the underdash Prodigy etc.

I know you've got a PM to me Lia, but I saw this post first, so I posted this, then I'll check your PM to make sure I covered everything for you.

You might also ask this question on that other Cayenne/Touareg/Q7 topic, cuz I think one of the guys there can also walk you through the install.

Kudos to you! I'm always impressed with anybody who has the time, skill set & bravery to undertake doing this stuff themselves!

Good Luck!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-14 Cayenne S
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner)
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 05:41 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Old Bridge , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
LiaG,

I am confused with your original post. Your VW dealer should be able to wire up the controller. Have you asked them? If you have decided that you cannot do the wiring then the next step is to have someone else do it. "Prewired" simply means the connector is already in place. Yours does not have the connector but that doesn't mean they can't add one.

Go back and talk to them again and get a quote. I am going to bet that it will be well below the $600 Colonial option.
My VW dealer told me my car is NOT pre-wired for a brake controller. The fact that I read online that there are wires under the dash is incorrect.

I have been looking in Florida for someone to hook up either a P2 or a P3 and can't find anybody.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:10 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Old Bridge , New Jersey
Tom, I bought my car new and when I was in one of the hitch shops poking around for an installer one told me I should have had the plug and pigtail in my glove box but I don't.

My dealer and others in my area are clueless about brake controllers or towing in general. The advisers(that's what they call people who take your keys in the service dept.) don't even know what a brake controller is.

I am a member of Club Touareg, they are as confused there as we are here about the lack of information from VW.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:51 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Howard , Ohio
LiaG,

I'm pretty sure that all Touaregs with or without a factory fitted receiver as standard will have the wiring harness to fit a brake controller. My Cayenne did NOT have a receiver fitted, I bought one and fitted it but my Cayenne still had the necessary harness to fit a brake controller.

The brake controller connector is under the dash one the drivers side (it is not in the glove box). Below is a post from Club Touareg that was very helpful in locating the connector. You will need to remove a few trim pieces (see instructions) then with the drivers side seat fully back literally wriggle in to the footwell lying on your back (cushion in footwell is recommended) and look up into the space behind the dash. I used one of those headlamps to see since space is a premium. The connector is wrapped in foam and not easy to see. I actually found it by shoving my hand up there and feeling for it. Mine was not visible but I could feel foam and yanked it free. I doubt most dealers have a clue what they are doing relative to towing. A local mechanic, with these instructions should be able to locate the connector and do the wiring.

Attached also are details of the necessary connector to mate to the one in your Touareg and also the wires that are needed. If you do an internet search for the PN's you will locate several online retailers that sell them or stop by your VW parts department with the numbers and they will be able to supply. Note that I did NOT use the relay shown on the wiring diagram in the instructions and my P3 works just fine. I connected the red wire straight through without relay. The P3 stays on for about 15 minutes after ignition off then goes to sleep. I installed mine close to the center console so it is out of the way, most people install it on the outside (thats sand on the floor from Fort Clinch State Park in Florida in case you were wondering...memories...)

How I found the brake controller connector

Here are the instructions to make the wiring harness that mates to the one in your car.

If all this is too much, the Prodigy RF is supposed to be very good - I have not used one, but I know several fellow Cayenne owners who have and it seems to work well. Some have reported issues with the pairing process, you will find some posts on that also if you search.

Stick with it, the Touareg is a great TV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0110.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	285.0 KB
ID:	246175  
Porsche Cayenne Diesel
Ohiobrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:28 AM   #25
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaG View Post
Tom, I bought my car new and when I was in one of the hitch shops poking around for an installer one told me I should have had the plug and pigtail in my glove box but I don't.

My dealer and others in my area are clueless about brake controllers or towing in general. The advisers(that's what they call people who take your keys in the service dept.) don't even know what a brake controller is.

I am a member of Club Touareg, they are as confused there as we are here about the lack of information from VW.
Geez that's maddening!

I've been told by too many knowledgeable Porsche, VW & Audi qualified service techs that they all 3 T/C/Q have the main wiring harnesses wired for the brake controllers, electrical connectors (4 &/or 7 pin), etc. - with or without the factory tow hitch option included at the factory since sometime mid-04 model year, but they will need to change the on-board computer settings when the hitch is first installed to work with everything on the car. It's just more cost effective for them to do so, than to have to add all sorts of separate special wiring in order to install a hitch.

Some folks self install the factory hitch or a 3rd party one & never get the computer settings done & the car doesn't make any of the tow mode engine, transmission, etc. changes automatically, like it's supposed to do. Since yours was factory installed I assume, those settings should've been done at the factory, or if dealer installed by them - but I'd get it checked by another VW dealer to be sure, while you get the plug/pigtail to you.

If your original dealership is that clueless, then find another one that knows what the heck their doing to do an install & to find the plug/pigtail in the parts manual & order one for you free of charge under your warranty (even if past). There may also be some on-board ECU computer settings which the dealers need to do when they set-up T/C/Q cars with the hitches when added after the fact by the dealerships, &/or if it wasn't done or if the settings were changed or "lost" by your dealership. So have the competent dealership recheck that to be safe.

This may require you to go to Ft. Meyers, Tampa-St. Pete or Miami, etc. to find a competent dealership, if the steps below don't help.

At your dealership - if you want to try them again first (it helps while you're still under warranty) & those service idiots ... err advisors ... cannot figure it out & won't order the missing plug/pigtail for you, then it's time to rattle the cage with higher ups - 1st with the Service Mgr, then to GM at the VW dealership where you bought the Touareg. Don't be afraid to scream & yell & rant .... squeaky wheel you know!

If no satisfaction there, then go to VW of America with a warranty service & new vehicle delivery complaint.

As above I say above, you may still need to go to another VW dealership in another bigger city nearby to get results, but file a complaint with VoA on it anyway.

Sidebar: Most dealers & their staffs are frankly incompetent or lazy or both. I just passed on a 28,000 mile 06 Cayenne S Titanium Ed. when the sales guy wouldn't answer my questions without multiple asks & then sends me a vehicle inspection where the tires mysteriously "grew" 1mm with the 3mm scratched out & 4mm's written in - less than 4mm & Porsche requires dealers to put on new tires .... hmmmm! Car has sat since April, I started checking it 7/2-21 due to his stalling & it's still for sale - no wonder! I know the Porsche PCNA Field Tech Mgr. who will hear about this when I see him next!

Back to your problem - the plug/pigtail adapter should allow a direct plug-n-play for any USA controller - Tekonsha Prodigy P3/P4 is one of the best (wait for it .... others will jump in to argue that ;-).

Their RF unit has the same internals, plus a wireless unit so it can be mounted on the trailer's A-frame & "talk" to the hand controller in the TV cabin, so you can use multiple TVs with one controller (why we got one while renting TVs).

What I really like about our RF is that the in cab controller has a curly-wire plug that goes into one of the 12v outlets or lighter in the TV cabin & I can leave it on my lap immediately at hand to hit the brake boost button if/when needed (here in SoCal with many stooopid drivers, that's more often than I like). Boo ran into his pairing problem & had to get a 7-pin to 7-pin adapter to make it pair correctly, & I gave you his fix info above, if you decide to go that way.

On the other hand with the underdash controllers, you have to leave the ideal driver's position to lean over & reach under to the lower dash where the box is mounted to work that control button - leaving you in a less than idea posture to control your vehicle in an emergency situation. IMHO they should put the RF-style hand controller on a stretchy coiled cord to the unit on ALL brake controllers, so the driver doesn't have to reach, search & find the control in an emergency.

If you do the RF, then you'll have to mount the controller box on the A-frame in a position which won't conflict with your WD hitch (whichever type you end up with), LP bottles, etc. & have clear & unobstructed shot to the TV for the RF signal (instructions with it are pretty good). With the vintage trailers like ours, the A-frame is very short (30" tip to TT body), so I had to go up with the mounting plate to clear the Cub's strut adjusting handle.

Your new AS will have more room on the A-frame, being a bit longer. You'll need a drill & bits & adapter for their self-tapping screws to mount it on the A-frame rail, or the AS dealer or a competent trailer service shop could mount it for you. Then the AS 7-pin plugs into the unit, it's own 7-pin plugs into the adapter (I guess from Boo's info), & then it into the Touareg. Then plug the hand unit into the TV's 12V outlet close to the driver & follow their instructions for pairing the unit (7-pin is initially unplugged for that step). Pairing is done once per vehicle, then it remembers it thereafter, so it's plug, check & maybe adjust boost, & go!

Andy T. wrote some boost setting info for both types of Tekonshas in that other Cayenne/Touareg/Q7 topic I sent you to before, so read that too as applicable to your controller.

Good Luck!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-14 Cayenne S
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner)
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:24 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Willoughby , Ohio
I think the OP needs to find another dealer.

John
Old 08-24-2015, 07:30 AM   #27
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Question

Lots of folks doing the install, hard to believe the "dealer" can't.

Good Luck.....

Bob
Old 08-24-2015, 07:54 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Willoughby , Ohio
Sadly I'm not that surprised. We have a very good VW dealer close by (Classic VW in Mentor OH). Some stories I hear about other dealers are just in fathomable.

John