Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-11-2010, 03:39 PM   #1
Be Not Afraid JMJ + AMDG

2008 25' Safari
Quiet Green , Connecticut
Thumbs up I did it! I CAN tow this thing!!!

Yay! I did it! Got myself here in one piece, no dings, only mishap was memorizing wrong route and oldstyle GPS deciding to tell me AFTER the turn that I should do so. No worries, knew I could head to 95S and drop down to my exit, back on the right road, about 20 miles out of the way.

After a delayed start, fastidius adjusting of the mirrors, and lots of prayer, the first 15 minutes of towing 'till I got off of the very narrow country roads was a little scary. Went nice and slow, checked the mirrors a lot to see where the mailboxes, trees and road lines were in comparison to the AS. Made it! Whew! I cranked the music, smiles from ear to ear, feeling confident, this is actually fun, then the gadget and my brain missed the turn For nearly 20 minutes I was one confident Rivette! Reminders are good, though.

The best part was getting to the parking lot, I mean campground, where we are planted for a few days. Only three RVs here and a handful of striped bass fishermen. I really should have handed out popcorn and beer, because it took me nearly a half an hour to back this thing up straight into my spot! Did I mention that all the adjacent spots were emplty?! Good thing! Everything I learned about backing up and parking two seasons ago is zapped from my Lyme disease addled brain. I literally could not back up straight, the trailer kept verring off to my drivers' side left. The ground here is pretty flat, either I have an alignment problem with my truck or I need a LOT of practice. No worries, I just kept at it 'till I got it right!

Had to banish DH to his car, turns out I am much better doing this solo. We definitely need a course in truckers' hand signals! If I were watching from the neighboring RV's, the body language we were displaying spoke disfunctional volumes! Oh, well! Remember, got here and parked in one piece, goal accomplished. Showing off will come later!

Anyway, I am psyched. I CAN do this, preferably alone at this point. I just have to go slow, remember the physics or whatever mystical science is involved in towing, pay attention and breath! Then a large glass of wine before proceeding with all the unhooking and setting up, just to settle the nerves!

And, at least for my temperment, 25 - 27 ft is the minimum for me to be alone in. Add in two more humans and all their stuff, and this is just not enough space. Their stuff is everywhere, the clutter drives me nuts, their voices reverberate, and I think solo travel is the way to go.

Still grateful for my guys, but looking forward to leaving them behind some of the time

Thanks again, all you wonderful people who offered encouragement, advice and support! This puppy is NOT for sale, at least not this year

AIRSTREAM Life

"Color delights my spirit"
Roamin Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:46 PM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Great to hear the trip is going well and the towing adventure is well...an adventure. Kick back relax and marvel at your newly acquired AS and pat yourself on the back for your efforts.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Hoorah for Cats!!! Glad to hear you not only towed it but enjoyed it. FYI you wouldn't be the only gal that has had to dismiss her navigator in favor of parking without help. Maybe we need a thread to teach our signalmen. Hope we meet up some time down the road. It will be great to swap stories. Oh and about stuff, mess and others, I hear ya loud and clear. Traveling alone opposed to camping with the hairy beasts, one of the two leg variety and three with four legs pushes the entire RVing envelope some days!

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:14 PM   #4
_

. , .

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:18 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Colleyville , Texas
Hey Cats and Carol thanks for the post! I needed a good laugh today! You know... there is never quite enough elbow room no matter how you stack it! Enjoy your AS Cats!
Old 05-11-2010, 05:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Good for you! I only tow our little Minuet. Because if anything ever happens to our beloved "Tube" I want it to be Leon's fault.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:48 PM   #7
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
well, of COURSE you can!!

We've found that its better if W drives, and I give the direction into the parking spots. A pair of those gprs walkie-talkies helps, too.
and lots of deep breaths.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:46 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Was that 2Air on the banjo????

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:19 AM   #9
Be Not Afraid JMJ + AMDG

2008 25' Safari
Quiet Green , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
Was that 2Air on the banjo????
Thanks, 2Air'! That is hilarious!
Were you savin' that for just the right moment?!
Now it is stuck in my head

AIRSTREAM Life

"Color delights my spirit"
Roamin Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:54 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Good job and congratulations! I think it IS easier parking one one's own ... just gotta take your time. And take your time. And take your time. The good news is that it gets easier the more you do it. But: just take your time.

And I think it often is easier going places on one's own. Enjoy!
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:12 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
Congrats! It really isn't as bad as most first-timers think.
As stated previously, take your time - allow more stopping and turning room.
And if you start getting tired, pull over and rest - I think that more damage is done to TT's by tired drivers than any other reason.
Best of luck - see you on the road somewhere!
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:53 AM   #12
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Congratulations Cat! Great job! I am so proud of you!!!! Now get out there and do it again soon. Don't wait too long. Yesterday my fiance said that he would take the moho to the campground on Friday and I could follow in his truck with the firewood. I was disappointed! I'm just learning the difference in towing the trailer and driving the moho! But what fun!!
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:16 PM   #13
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
If this helps: "Correct" mirror adjustment makes backing a great deal easier. Mirror adjustment is dependent upon proper posture by the driver, and backing should require (when in a straight line) no body movement, so to speak.

Proper posture means only that, with both feet on floor (not on pedals but beside or behind them) that the seat bottom is not cutting into thighs, and that the shoulder blades are comfortably against the seat back when hands are at 10 & 2 or 9 & 3.

With trailer hitched, on level ground, without turning ones head and using periperhal vision, the mirrors should:

- show the very edge of TV and TT to the rearmost point; and,

- that the distant horizon is dead-center across the mirror.

It's a bit more difficult to explain than to make the set-up and adjustments, but the end result is that for but the jackknife turns one is not moving the head, much less the body to interpret what the mirrors are "saying".

This is due to the drivers attention not ever changing from a forward point of reference throughout the backing maneuver except peripherally.

In other words, seated comfortably, with a point to the rear and to the front, I am going to move the rig into a "straight" line between them I'm just sort of crabbing this thing sideways to get set up. Drivers who are "all over" the cab with head and body movements are likely starting from a less than optimal position.

As a truck driver it became habit and there were days I couldn't back worth a flip . . but driver posture and mirror adjustment were key to making the least amount of movements. After that it is knowing where to make the initial maneuver.

Walking around is the big help, big truck or TT. Glad you're having fun.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote