Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-14-2013, 05:04 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Bluffton , South Carolina
Hyundai Santa Fe as a tow vehicle??

We have a 2008 3.3L AWD Hyundai Santa Fe. There's a good possibility we will be picking up a 16 ft Bambi Sport this weekend. It's rated to tow up to 3500 lbs. Any advice would sure be appreciated regarding towing the Bambi with this car. I'd have to get the brakes/wiring etc installed, but I wanted to get opinions here before doing so. We have a Suburban that will do the job, but for me to do some of the driving with my husband, I'd much rather drive a smaller car. Thanks in advance for your help.
Mtnlvrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:10 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnlvrs View Post
We have a 2008 3.3L AWD Hyundai Santa Fe. There's a good possibility we will be picking up a 16 ft Bambi Sport this weekend. It's rated to tow up to 3500 lbs. Any advice would sure be appreciated regarding towing the Bambi with this car. I'd have to get the brakes/wiring etc installed, but I wanted to get opinions here before doing so. We have a Suburban that will do the job, but for me to do some of the driving with my husband, I'd much rather drive a smaller car. Thanks in advance for your help.
How much does the sport weigh?
Old 03-14-2013, 05:16 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
GVWR 3500 lbs. I don't know if that's pushing the limit.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
The one who knows the most about towing with smaller vehicles like yours is forum member Andrew T. If you do a search on his name you can read some of his posts to get some info. You may also check out his site which may help.

Can-Am RV Centre | Your Towing Experts
Old 03-14-2013, 07:00 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Hey thanks! Appreciate the help. (:
Old 03-14-2013, 07:59 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Puyallup , Washington
Personally I think towing close to your vehicles limits or combined gross weight limits is a invitation for trouble, my truck has a rating of 9500 lbs towing and we settled on a FC19. Of course we live where there are mountains too
srpuywa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:03 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Thank you. The more I've read, I agree with you. I had an uneasy feeling about it...wishful thinking I guess...which shows once again you really should trust that "feeling". Looks like it's the Suburbanfor the trip. (: Thanks again!
Old 03-14-2013, 10:35 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
My truck has a tow rating of 9,000 lbs and I have a 20' Safari. I like the extra margin of tow power when needed.

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:46 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
Good call. There is a lot of difference between towing white knuckled and towing relaxed.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:46 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
St. Catharines , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnlvrs View Post
Thanks to Andy at Can Am we will be towing a 25' Flying Cloud with our Santa Fe. Give them a call it will be well worth your time.
Silver Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:55 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Silver Cloud. I'm thinking the Santa Fe and her Bambi should work great. The rig would probably handle better for her than the big Burb/Bambi idea.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:20 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
St. Catharines , Ontario
I think that a lot of people get hung up on a number from the manufacturers that is totally out of date with what the vehicle is capable of. The Santa Fe handles better and would be far superior on gas mileage. I have no problem with pulling 25' after talking to a true expert in the towing field.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:14 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Thanks y'all! This gives me hope, after all! (: I keep reading about Andy on here, so I think I will give him a call. It would be great if the Sante Fe would work for us, too. Cheers!
Old 03-18-2013, 09:34 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Cloud View Post
Thanks to Andy at Can Am we will be towing a 25' Flying Cloud with our Santa Fe. Give them a call it will be well worth your time.
Silver, what mods did Andy suggest?

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:55 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Puyallup , Washington
"Thanks to Andy at Can Am we will be towing a 25' Flying Cloud with our Santa Fe. Give them a call it will be well worth your time."

Your crazy!
srpuywa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:02 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by srpuywa View Post
"Thanks to Andy at Can Am we will be towing a 25' Flying Cloud with our Santa Fe. Give them a call it will be well worth your time."

Your crazy!
Why do you think Silver Cloud is crazy?

Old 03-19-2013, 09:04 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Hey there SRP. If you have some experience towing the 25 with a Santa Fe feel free to let us know the details. Otherwise lets keep the name calling out of this friendly discussion.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:47 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
St. Catharines , Ontario
Thank you Canadians for the response. Don't think that I would be as polite. Being new to the forums, I would suggest a thread that would just be for negative comments. UKT would love to post the things that Can Am did but I know that that would result in more negative comments. Thinking that I will just stay away from the forums !!!!
Old 03-19-2013, 09:53 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Silver Cloud, no need to avoid the forums. Just understand that there are those who like to speak from no real experience about these trailer/vehicle setups. On the other side of the coin, many of us are interested in any configuration that doesn't involve a big pickup or SUV.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:04 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Cloud View Post
Thank you Canadians for the response. Don't think that I would be as polite. Being new to the forums, I would suggest a thread that would just be for negative comments. UKT would love to post the things that Can Am did but I know that that would result in more negative comments. Thinking that I will just stay away from the forums !!!!
I appreciate how you feel because I've taken my fair share of cr*p from some of the less well informed participants on the forum, but you shouldn't let them put you off posting here. Remember, there's not a single person that contributes here that has the towing knowledge and experience that currently resides with Can-Am RV. Sure, everyone is entitled to their own opinion but few, if any, are based in the kind of expertise that Andy T has.

You can PM me the details if you like, though, because I'm interested in Andy's solutions.