Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-10-2018, 11:52 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1982 27' Excella
Huntsville , Texas
Husky Center Line W/D

My daughter bought her first trailer and will be making trips by herself. She is looking for a weight distribution anti sway systems. I was hoping some of you with more experience could give some words of wisdom. She would like a system that would allow her to back up and that is easy enough for her to work with. She is driving a 2015 Toyota highlander and pulling a Viking https://www.acresoutdoors.com/new-mo...17fq-26520654b She is looking at a https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...y/HT32216.html. Any suggestions?
GMarugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 12:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
I have used the Husky Centre Line for 3 years now and am very happy with it. Factory support is great, and is very easy to hitch up. The sway control works excellent. It is easy to back up with, however, it needs to be in a straight line to hitch or unhitch because of the way the sway control works. Not a big deal, and have had to take the sway bars off twice before backing in to a tight spot. Just hook up and pull out and be in a straight line to attach the sway bars if you have to hitch up at an angle. Some here will tell you that you need a ProPride or Hensley, but I feel just as safe with my Centre Line. JMHO
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 12:04 PM   #3
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Pretty sure husky has two models with centerline name. One has the spring piston heads the other a more conventional called TS.

Might want to specify model details.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 12:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Had a Husky. Was not satisfied with how it towed, particularly downhill. Gave it away, went to a ProPride. There are many other good choices discussed on the forums.

I don't have to be in a straight line to hook up under any circumstances with my setup. Considering that I tow a fairly heavy 22 footer with a fairly light Toyota Tacoma, the ProPride or a Hensley is my best choice. The sway prevention is mechanical by geometry of the hitch, and does not depend upon friction at all. The other BIG advantage is that I do NOT have to remove the heavy hitch head or WD bars when unhooking--just the stinger that connects the head to the receiver on the truck. The rest of the heavy hitch parts stuff stays on the Airstream's tongue once installed. WD adjusts via jacks and that is also minimal effort.

No, they aren't cheap. Used ones may be available from time to time.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 01:04 PM   #5
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMarugg View Post
-- snip -- back up and that is easy enough for her to work with. -- snip --
RVing is special. Folks can enjoy the activity at many different levels. The common denominator is knowledge. The more you have, the safer and more cost effective your experience will be. So, my suggestion is to have her read the hitch related forums and develop sufficient knowledge to make the decision for herself.

We all have our own opinions, experience, fears and budgets. I know a fellow who has safely towed for three years. He has limited knowledge, but learns each year. He travels slow - 55 to stay alive. If that is not your daughter's plan, do not let her leave home without a Hensly Cub. They are available rebuilt for less than the $1500-$2000 list price. They are costly, but they work best. The cub is small trailer version of the Arrow or Propride PPP hitches.

You do not have to spend that much to get a hitch that controls sway. But you need to understand the good and the not so good issues about each design.

As a punt, have her get an Eaz-lift hitch with friction sway strut. She will have to adjust the friction when backing, but the unit is functional, flexible, and not expensive.

Good luck with the investigation. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 01:11 PM   #6
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Rmkrum,

Care to specify which model Husky?

Center Line with compression cylinders
Center Line TS (similar to equalizer)
Round Bar
Trunnion Bar

Curious.

Gary
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 05-10-2018, 01:40 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Rmkrum,

Care to specify which model Husky?

Center Line with compression cylinders
Center Line TS (similar to equalizer)
Round Bar
Trunnion Bar

Curious.

Gary
Nary a clue--when it failed to efficiently control sway on a local trip down a steep hill in the wind, it got yanked off, tossed into a corner of the garage, and eventually given away. Came with the rig from the original owner, and I only noticed the logo, sorry. Did not enjoy the white-knuckle ride one bit, and it was a pain to put it on and off, and re-assemble it each time it got used.

Was not a happy camper with it on the rig...research led me to the Hensley designs, and I went ProPride because it did not need any holes drilled to install the struts...and was a bit cheaper, with much better customer service. I'm in the process of upgrading to some prototype electrically powered WD jacks to make it even easier to use. Best part is NO disassembly required for normal use.

With the ProPride, have not had ANY sway, or near sway events, even when doing full power braking panic stops in Phoenix downtown traffic or being passed by big rigs that were doing 75-80 and passing way too close to me in West Texas during high winds.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:08 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1982 27' Excella
Huntsville , Texas
Husky Center Line W-D

Attached is the Husky weight distribution system she is looking at. I appreciate all of the information provided. The group has a lot of valuable information
Old 05-10-2018, 02:18 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1982 27' Excella
Huntsville , Texas
Husky Center Line W-D

Attached is the Husky weight distribution system she is looking at. I appreciate all of the information provided. The group has a lot of valuable information

sorry for some reason I cannot get the attached picture to show up

https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...y/HT32216.html
Old 05-10-2018, 02:22 PM   #10
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Nobody wants a white knuckle ride. For sure. They offer four models from a basic to a unique compression cylinder model but now we don’t know which model you had.

Their compression cylinder model looks intriguing but the real issue is what works best for the OP’s inquiry and situation.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:51 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Absolutely. And another very important consideration is the weight of the trailer, which we don't know yet. For a modest-sized trailer there are many systems that will work well.

I would be looking at how difficult it is to hook the hitch up, weight of the parts, and how much weight needs to be distributed as well. It's not a simple task by any means.

Me, I went straight to overkill, most likely, but I'm cool with that...no more white knuckles.

For the one the OP is looking at, study the assembly and hookup instructions to see how it is installed and how much force it takes to load the WD bars into place. That can be critical knowledge as to how well it can be used.

Also determine how hard it is to set up and PROPERLY adjust for the weight of the trailer and tow vehicle. That makes a HUGE difference in performance on ANY hitch design.
Old 05-10-2018, 03:05 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1982 27' Excella
Huntsville , Texas
Husky Center Line Weight

Trailer Detail

Hitch Weight: 320 lb.
UVW: 2886 lb.
GVWR: 3635 lb.
CCC: 749 lb.
Old 05-10-2018, 03:10 PM   #13
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
GM - that hitch is a clone of the Equal-i-zer brand hitch. Price is about 2/3s that of an EQ. It uses spring force to transfer weight and friction at the head and tongue support attachments to control sway. It is a stiff WDH by design. This type of hitch works well for some, but can be noisy, cause problems when backing and may bend the A-frame brackets.

You can get more info about the design concept by reviewing the Equal-i-zer hitch threads. Enter Equal-i-zer in the blue box above to the right.

The step down from a Hensley Cub is likely, a Reese dual cam, a Blue Ox, and an Eaz-lift. Pat
Old 05-10-2018, 03:21 PM   #14
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I switched from Reese last year to a Blue Ox SwayPro. Hitching up is pretty simple and it performs as advertised. Just my personal experience...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:01 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1982 27' Excella
Huntsville , Texas
Husky center line W-D

Anyone have experience with Anderson chain type W-D. Anti sway??
Old 05-11-2018, 09:32 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1993 29' Excella
Austin , Texas
I use that hitch on my 29' Excella, which I pull with a 1500 Ram. The hitch is heavy (60 lbs, or so), and hitch up requires some muscle and technique. But, my wife can do by herself. It's way cheaper than many alternatives, I have had no problems backing up or otherwise maneuvering, and it completely resolved all the issues I was having with sway. So, I'm a fan. I'm sure I'd like the more expensive ones, too, but for now I'll use the difference to buy something else I don't need.
BobExcella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:54 AM   #17
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMarugg View Post
Anyone have experience with Anderson chain type W-D. Anti sway??
Do not buy this hitch!

Review the thread on the Defacement of the Arch perpetrated by Andersen.

This is a poor hitch for a lot of reasons. It has a limited friction surface area, can damage coupler assemblies, and is limited in the weight the assembly will transfer. Much better solutions available, and it's not cheap. If price is the point, buy an Eaz-lift WDH and a brake pad friction strut. Pat
Old 05-11-2018, 11:44 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
LAS VEGAS , Nevada
Reese question and my 'opinion'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
I switched from Reese last year to a Blue Ox SwayPro. Hitching up is pretty simple and it performs as advertised. Just my personal experience...
Did you have the Reese Dual Cam Sway control? If so, why did you switch? I have been using Reese Dual Cam for 40 years and find it very satisfactory. Reese spring bars are available in a variety of weight ratings, depending on trailer tongue weight and tow vehicle capacity.

Many systems work well. Some others, not so much. Just get a system that matches your vehicle specs.
Abraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:36 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
2018 26' Flying Cloud
Brighton , Michigan
Have used the same Husky Centerline T/S on a 22 Sport and a 26 FC without issue. The 22 was pulled with a SUV and the 26 with a F 250. Set-up was different, needed a different drop shank and went from 400/600 lb. bars to 800/1200 lb. bars, but the head was the same.

Ride was fine and no sway of consequence with either rig. Minimal noise towing and backing with the bars attached. Easy to hitch and unhitch as long as you use the tongue jack and both units are straight. Towing was solid both up and down hills, with no drama.

Would recommend this product.
Rivet Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:37 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
If I had her trailer with 320# tongue weight, I'd opt for the Equalizer's little brother Fastway E2.
A friend has that on his small toy hauler, he's not at all into details, and he has no problems.

I'd also make sure her tires were good. A single axle trailer with cheap tires is asking for trouble.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote